Batman's Noosa Epic - Lessons Learnt!

batman

OK……

This was the big one ……..

I have been doing my research on Lugana Bay for a few weeks now and I was so excited to get up there for a yak and fish! This trip has turned out to be a HUUUGE learning curve for me and I want to let everyone know that I had huge fun but I also learnt some valuable lessons………

Saturday 26/4/08

I awoke at 4:30 (damn that’s early!!) and after wolfing down some breaky I drove from Peridgian Waters camp site to Noosa (1st cove), the weather was perfect, not a breath of wind and the swell was pretty small. After nervously getting the yak onto the sand I checked and double checked that I had everything…….yup all good I headed out. It was a perfect scenario as I punched through a small wave the sky was just lighting the horizon up and a girl surfer on one of those new paddle boards took off on a wave and surfed right passed me. The air was crisp, no wind and a gentle swell was running, plus the tide was high.

I rounded 2nd point and realised that the swell was bigger than I thought as there where a few surfers off that point to. As I rounded second point I hooked up a good sized fish on my Ugly Stick/Shimano Sahara rig with my trusty Jackal lure trolling along. It was a 35cm sweat lip and I was rapped that so early into my fishing Noosa experience I had caught something. I got him into the boat with a huge grin on my face. I thought about keeping him but it was so early in the piece I didn’t want a bleeding flapping fish in the back of the yak so I let him go. I arrived at the main point and man-o-man the water was alive!! Bait fish jumping everywhere, Dolphins cruising along it was just amazing to watch. I decided to do some trolling with my new B-52 shallow diving lure and doubled up with a deep diving 4 inch lure. I headed straight out from the point about half a km and everything changed……..the swell was up, the wind was stronger than I thought and about a kilometre out I started to wonder if it was a good idea to go further.

At this point I want to make it clear that I was very comfortable being in deep water, I was not afraid of this feeling because I have paddled surf ski’s in my home town of Cape Town South Africa, where we have some of the deepest, coldest, meanest waters I have experienced…so being out there was not to much of a problem. I was close’ish to land and I was feeling good. But I trusted my instincts and after getting inline with the river mouth I turned and headed for the main point again. No hook ups but then again I wasn’t sure if I was in the exactly the right spot…I think I was….Boaties had caught some decent fish along there but seriously I was just out there enjoying the adventure.

The time was approaching 8am and I had been on the water for 3 hours…I had kept my water intake up and had kept munching on snack bars and an apple, then rounded it off with a coke. I had just decided to call it a day when I saw rounding off the main point Bill Watson who is a bit of a legend in Kayak Fishing terms…if you have never seen him check out his website www.noosafisghing.com.au Bill has landed some huuuuuuuge Spanish Mackerel and Tuna. We greeted about a km from the beach and after introducing myself we paddled in together having a bit of a chat.

After a bit of a yarn I picked up some excellent tips from Bill. He said, “are you going to take your lures off your rods?†(I wasn’t going to). This of course made perfect sense as not only do you stand the risk of spiking yourself but potentially someone else in the surf. So point taken and I stowed my rods and lures away. Bill goes through a “landing procedure†everytime he launches or lands his yak in the ocean, as this environment is far harsher than say a small gentle river. The surf was really small so I was not to concerned I rode a small wave in and low and behold right in my way was this 2 year old kid running towards me and I couldn’t stop, luckily I drifted to the one side of him but point taken about swimmers, kids etc. After a good chat we got on the subject of Bill’s fish lifter, basically a gaff that is longer in the pointy end, it slips through the gills and comes out the mouth. It does not bloody up the fish and keeps it pretty calm when loading a big fish up on one’s yak. So I purchased one from Bill and headed over to his place to pick it up. I must say that I learnt a hell of a lot by looking at Bill’s set up of his yak and how everything is stowed away and or locked/tied down. The other thing is that I was way under gunned in regards to my rod and real…if I was/am going to land some serious fish I needed to get a serious rod and real. So with Bills advice I headed to Davo’s bait and tackle where Greg sorted me out with a new Shimano Baitrunner 3500 and a Shimano Tiapan 7 foot rod. Bill likes them for yaks because of the waterproof drag system and general robustness of this reel. It was loaded up with 30lb fireline and 40lb leader. I said my goodbyes to the boys and headed back to camp. My girlfriend saw me all pumped up from the adventure and all I can say is that it was one of those days that I will remember for awhile!

Sunday 27/4/08

What difference 24hours make.

I awoke at 4am to launch by 5pm at little point……….I climbed out the car and sniffed the air. The sea had a totally different feeling to yesterday, it was colder, the breeze was brisk and coming from the North West (not good apparently). Even so I headed out in the total darkness and once again I trolled my light Penn rig with a soft jackal lure. I hit 2nd point and bang I immediately hooked up what I learned latter was some type of herring, it was about 30 cm long about 7cm wide, really ugly looking fish in it had a stumpy face, razor sharp needle teeth and it had a very pissed off demeanour! I struggled to get the lure out of him and let him go, 100 m bang hit another of the same type of fish, turns out that they make excellent bait for the big Spanish mackerel (mental note for next time!)

By this time the sun was just breaking the horizon but like I said the sea was in an angry mood but going against my instincts I persisted on past the headland into Alexandria Bay just on the other side of Noosa Headland. The sea was wild and the swell was backing off the cliffs in an angry way. I still persisted on to Sunshine Reef!

This is where I made a bad mistake as the wind was really pumping 20 knots and I quickly realised I was 3-4km off the headland heading for New Zealand……….(I joked latter that I could have saved myself a one way flight!) I turned back in but no way was I getting back to Noosa, 5 min of paddling and I was tiring in a bad way. This is where I realised I had to change tact and go with the wind, so I made a call to my girlfriend and told her what I was going to do. To cut a long story shorter a solid hour of paddling in some pretty extreme conditions I made it to the shark nets off Sunshine Beach, I was tired, dehydrated. I rested up, drank some more water from my camel back, had a chocolate bar and checked out where to land…….

I saw the lifeguard flags and headed straight for them! Before I did that I stowed away my new Baitrunner real and lashed my rod down, I broke my Penn real down and stowed that away but all I could do with my Sahara real and rod wad lash it down and hope for the best. I stowed my waterproof bag away and anything else I could. I aimed for a deep water channel between the sand bars near to the lifeguard flags I was cramping in my back by now so it was a good time to get in. I waited for a lull in the waves and pumped it as best I could! I made very good progress and made it past the main break, unfortunately there was a second gutter and I miss judged the second bar only to get slammed by a wave, I thought I was going to make it but no… over she went. Luckily and very embarrassingly for me there where 50 lifeguards doing a competition right in front of me!! I got spat in waste deep water and about ten of them ran in and grabbed my yak…..I stumbled onto the sand, paddle in hand exhausted and very much trying to put on a brave face. I was more pissed that I lost my Sahara rod and reel but hey equipment can be purchased again……..

The end result was one hell of adventure!! I learnt a hell of a lot about fishing, yakking, myself and more importantly……if in doubt…don’t go out! I am big enough to admit that I made a mistake Sunday…..I bit off more than I could chew. It could have got way more out of shape but I kept a cool’ish head, my plan B worked out well and all I lost was a rod and reel. I was a tad worried there for awhile but like Bill said to me this morning you live and learn just try not to get in that situation again.

Sorry for the longest post in history but thanks for having a read.

BATMAN:woohoo:

holy shit, what a post

that was really full on haha i dont know wether to say sounds like a fun trip or not...

i found myself in a similar situation on the weekend but thankfully it diddnt end up like that...

we should meet up sometime for a surf yak, sounds like your as crazy as me!

at least you got some good fish!

Guys

I love the deep ocean, there is nothing like being out deep and that feeling of really being insignificant gives me a real buzz.

I carry a radio, mobile, flares, light, first aid kit and I have a plan. The one thing I will say is that I will concentrating on my paddle fitness and have a more certain route and plan.

I don't want to give anyone the impression that I was to reckless as the beauty of Noosa is that apart from a dead straight easterly any other wind will eventually force you near shore. I have no problems with getting saved by the lifeguards or coast guards if need be as long as I have taken every precaution and tried to avoid the situation. Lesson learned!

Having a few yak mates with me would have been sensational so anyone up for an assault on Luguna Bay in the next month let me know. The fishing is just going to get better and better up there for the month of May! As long as you are sensible and have a safety first mentality I am happy to yak with you.

Just called Davo’s for a replacement rod and real for the Sahara…….Greg has adviced on a Shimano Sametra? (one up from the Sahara) matched with a graphite Radar rod….anyone know anything about this set up?

Batty

dont worry mate, not the longest post i think.

Must hav been pretty scary being so far offshore, at least u had mobile contact, some parts in mortain bay u got no mobile covergae.

I think we all learn that way but, get into a stickey situation and wen u get out of it you know you wont do it again.

Batman,

Thanks for taking the time to write that post... and for me, no it wasn't too long. It was a pleasure to read something of substance and your story is a good warning for all.

Being honest about experiences (good and bad) are valuable learning experiences for us all.

Cheers,

Dnepr

Mate I carry my mobile and Marine radio in their own waterproof bags so I called my girlfriend and asked her to pick me up from Sunshine Beach.

I am glad some of you got something out of my experience because I can honestly say that I learnt a huge amount in those few hours.

Points that stick out:

1. Make sure you know your limits....don't let your ego get in the way...(mine did a bit!)

2. Have a planned route, have a plan B and tell someone about both plans. Give them some indication of how long you plan to be.

3. Make sure you are feeling up to the task...if you are tiered, feeling ill don't go out or go in!

4. The sun, sea, wind and paddeling - dehydration is a killer, invest in a camelback and keep drinking and eating high energy food. I learnt this from my cycle racing days, but the sun at sea is a killer. Wear plenty of sunscreen, I wear a 45+sun protection fishing shirt, plus a paddeling cap that covers my neck and face. Plus good sunnies! A PFD is a MUST!!

5. I carry a mobile and radio, make sure they are charged the night before....carry flares off shore....red for distress.

6. Keep constant checks on where you are, pick a spot on the land and see which way you are drifting.

7. Fishing is the last thing that you should be thinking of in deep ocean paddeling, I do it for adventure and fitness, if the fish bite then BONUS! It keeps the enjoyment of yakking and keeps the frustration out of fishing....don't take it to seriously!

8. Have fun and after the experience think how you can improve.

We have a very unique sport, I now know where the limit is and when I do it again I will have a set route and stick to the plan based on the weather conditions....otherwise I love it yakking and especially yak fishing:woohoo: !

Batty

Thanks for the excellent post Batman.

I think we all put too much emphasis on the good stuff and neglect to tell people the bad stuff out of either embarrassment or the risk of being told what a silly bugger you were.

As a newbie to yak fishing I'm absolutely loving it and am learning a great deal out of the mistakes I've made (and will make) and from posts like yours.

Cheers

Leeann

Leeann wrote:

Thanks for the excellent post Batman.

I think we all put too much emphasis on the good stuff and neglect to tell people the bad stuff out of either embarrassment or the risk of being told what a silly bugger you were.

As a newbie to yak fishing I'm absolutely loving it and am learning a great deal out of the mistakes I've made (and will make) and from posts like yours.

Cheers

Leeann

Good to hear you're loving the kayak fishing Leeann. I enjoyed reading your kayak & barra article

I'm sure we'd all like to hear more about your future kayaking adventures :) Are you coming to the AFO Kayak camp?

Batman: I cannot stress enough the importance of checking a wind forecast before heading out into open waters like that. It's good to hear you took necessary safety equipment out there like the radio and mobile.

Archived