Barra Leaders

blue_mako

Hey Guys.

Just wondering about leaders for the Awoonga trip. I think I've got my lighter trolling rig sorted. I will probably use a uni to blood leader knot with some 30lb fluorocarbon leader then a perfection loop knot connecting to the lure.

Though with my sitck flicking stick I'm still not sure. I know I'm going to use a spider hitch to double the braid above the leader for added strength and reassurance. I think I should use some 40lb fluorocarbon then wrap it to double it over for a meter. Also I will add a piece of plastic tubing at lure end. (So the snap doesn't cut through the leader) Along with a heavy duty snap for easy lure changing. (No swivel just a snap) Though I will have to crimp the leader to be able to twist the leader without it unravelling.

I'm still not sure how I am supposed to join the leader to the main line. I'm not sure whether to use a knot or swivel :S . I've most of this info off things I've read and seen just wondering what everyone else thinks. Any other ideas?

Troy

blue_mako wrote:

I'll give ya a few for taking my yak up :P . I'll see what they are like before I give them to you. I'll give you the prototypes since they are the ones I can work off to improve ;) . You will be my Awoonga pinea pig.

Troy

Lets put this in perspective - If the leaders you give the pinea gig break under a 1.5mt Barra cause the leader is not tied right or inferrior product the same might happen to the roof straps used to tie down your yak! :P

I think the quality of the leaders has just increased 10 fold!:cheer:

If I was going to use any leader knot it would be the Uni to Blood.

Cowfish: Use one of those knots I mentioned above. Way stronger then a Uni to Uni.

Angus: Where did you get a Loomis from? You still haven't answered that.

Brian: Yeh I think they just increased in quality :P . If I end up making them the way I mentioned I'll give a few out.

Troy

Troy - Sounds like a fare deal to me - but remember there is a return journey and we don't want any thing going \"breaky breaky\" on the way home now do we!:whistle:

Nice strong leaders = nice strong roof straps! Hey speaking of which - do you have any cause mine are no the box trailer and I can't get em off. I do have occy straps.

Does the yak require a special rack seat or does it go straight onto the bars. - I suppose we better test it before the trip!

Here's a look at the racks we'll be using - they are not very wide apart - I must say I'm a littlle worried about the flex of the yak. It may be better if we could get it in the boat! How long is it?

Post edited by: Brian D aka Chilly D, at: 2006/10/11 15:52 [img size=439]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/PA160072.JPG

Post edited by: Brian D aka Chilly D, at: 2006/10/11 15:53

post-118-144598402045_thumb.jpg

Yeah, We just have normal racks and I strap it down, with rope, upside down. Though I'm going to by some straps before the trip hopefully.

As for leaders I'm going to make them like so:

1 :At least a 100lb Snap at the lure end. (No swivel) For easy lure changing and so you don't have to re-tie and crimp your leader if you want to change lure.

2: I'll have 2m of 40lb fluorocarbon leader twisted in 2 making it 1m long. Having it doubled will make the leader have at least an 80lb breaking strain and is 10 times more abrasion resistant. Then on top of the good abrasion resistance you have fluorocarbon's abrasion resistance on top of that, aswell as the invisibility of fluorocarbon.

3: At the lure end have a loop crimped with the snap hanging on the loop.

4: With so much pressure on the loop holding the snap, the snap tends to cut through the fluorocarbon so I will add a small piece of plastic tubing on the loop aswell for reliability.

5: Are you with me so far? :P .

6: You can't use a crimp at the opposite end to the lure end to make a small loop to connect the main line to the leader as this is the end you will be winding through your guides. With a crimp running through your guides as you cast it's going to cause serious damage to the inner inserts of your guides. So what I will do is just make sure the line is twisted then do a granny knot just to keep it from untwisting. So when the time comes to tie the leader on you can do your leader knot and trim the granny knot off at the tag end.

7: Use a spider hitch knot to double your braided main line.

8: Use a good solid leader knot and trim tag ends.

And that's how you make a custom made leader by Troy :P .

I'm not sure if you get me but I'll run it through again when I see you next. I'll even do the leader knot for you to connect it the first time. But you'll still need to learn a leader knot (If you don't all ready know one) just incase you get busted off and need to do one when I'm out yacking and your boating :P .

Brian: How many leaders do you want? With the amount of gear I'm buying to make the leaders it looks like I will be able to make 12 leaders max. Apparently these leaders last donkey's years.

Who else is going on this trip? Brain, Angus, Me, Feral. Who else? :S .

Troy

Sounds perfect - and I did follow what you said even though I had to read it twice.

Can you leave plenty of tag end, please, cause I use a double twisted looped binimi knot on my braid to leader connection.;) Don't know what knot for gel spun as I never used it yet.

As to how many - just what you get round to making will be fine - who's counting!

I was thinking the twisted fluro will be good for the timbered areas but may be a bit heavy for the open and point areas. So for these areas I was going to use a just a single sliding binimi loop knot.:whistle:

How long is you yak?

Ray and Ray's mate are also going and Feral is taking his kids.

Archived