Bait trap vs Cast Net?

rhino01

In my opinion.

Cast nets are for salt.

Bait traps are for fresh (as you cant use cast nets there anyway).

Simple.

As I said though thats just my opinion.

But i have even found traps work better for fresh species that are for location fixed like yabbies or shrimp. Where as cast nets for bait schools and prawns in salt water allow you cover more ground.

Angus

My only concern with the castnet is that I fish off rocks in salwater and getting the cast net out further enough / getting damaged. Thought if used bait trap - throw out, wait do a bit of fishing then bring in and use bait (IDEALLY). Does that make sense and is anybody doing that?

if you want to try trapping bait in saltwater try putting half a slice of bread and enough sinkers to stop it floating away in a large plastic coke bottle (remove the label) and tie a length of line around the neck

submerge it it shallow water(20-30cm) where there is not much current if there are poddy mullet around they will go into the bottle to get at the bread.

pull the bottle up by the string and you got bait.

best if you use 5 or 6 botles scattered around an area as you usually only get 2 or 3 per bottle

only works with clear plastic bottles

As others have said castnet for salt, bait trap for fresh.

For freshwater I usually use for bait: a handful of dry dog food, bread, or boiled potatoes or a mixture of all 3, good for yabbies and shrimp.

Saltwater castnet all the way, but a trap would probably work, provided it is placed around structure where plenty of baitfish school and checked often enough to minimise shark and mudcrab damage.

Cheers,

Matt

rhino01 wrote:

If I decide to use a bait trap in salt water what sought of bait - was thinking chopped up pillies or should i use the berley pellets?

in the salt you cant go past bread

flesh will mainly atract small bream,catfish and other things you cant use, or are no good for bait

Archived