Cheap Penn Combos

hey

im sure you have all seen those cheap penn combos the ones with the gimble belt and free lures in the bfc catelogs. there liek $89 or somehting might be a bit more, im keen to get one. does anyone know whta line class they use? im thinking of getting one for some small time shark fishing in the river. Does anyone else have one?

big dave

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I used a cheap Penn Combo 220 last year. It cost about $170 I think. It was good. Never failed. I did have a problem with the line getting caught in the gap between the spool and the body which cost me a fish but after that it was OK. Another small problem was the control knob for the free spoll when dropping to the bottom. It is way too small to adjust with wet hands. But all in all good value for money for a season but I have already replaced it with a big shimano rig. Can't wait for sharky time.

• 3 months later...

Hey

I bought a Penn GT Rod with Penn Seaboy reel about 2yrs ago for 100 bucks-ish, My only problem is the reel doesn't have one of those things that moves the line from right to left and back again to get an even spread of line when spooling, so make sure what ever you buy has one.

The combo's are great, mine didn't come with anything besides a Penn Hat, I missed out on the belt.

I've learned how to cast it from the shore too, make sure the 'click' thing is on to slow the line when it comes out and have some nice sinkers on the line (i use 20lb nylon with wire trace) and keep a thumb on the line on the reel to slow it down to minimize overspin, you’ll work it out with practise.

Lokenfold: You'll find that the overwhelming majority of the bigger overheads don't have a level wind system. (The level wind system is what you were referring to by the way)

It's no issue, you just have to guide the line on evenly when you wind it in. This can take some practice, but you get use to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived