Which mono for braid backing?

boon

Gonna put on some 50lb braid onto my reel and was wondering if you guys had certain preferences for the mono backing in terms of amount, joining knots, mono strength? The strongest mono I have at home is 25lb but don't think it's a good idea to use it with 50lb braid. Need your opinions. Thanks :)

boon wrote:

I've got an okuma salina 65. Getting the 50lb for the charter trip next weekend :) I should fit over 300m of it easily

spool with all the braid u have to the spool and if u cannot fill the spool, put some good quality 30lb mono to fill it. then take the lines off and put mono in then braid!

if u have over 200m of braid and u know how to put ur tackle to the limit, u won't see the mono when fishing i'm pretty sure.

I agree with plasticman on this one, I had quite a few people come in to see me at amart claiming that there was something wrong with their drag...when it was really the braid slipping on the spool.

Make sure you pack the mono on nice and tight so there is less chance of the braid slipping in between the thicker mono and spooling unevenly.

Rocket

nah, no way. no matter how big the monster is, the maxi force on the line will be the breaking strain of the line. with every wrap of high tension line on the spool, the compressive force is unbelivably large! i mean, u can actually damage/smash a low quality metal spool with the tension of the line! so even with a fairly small friction index, the friction is enormous! the force of the pulling fish can also add to the compressive force which make the friction between spool and line even bigger! there's no way a properly spooled reel can have braid slip problem. boon, u can try any of my reels and any reels of those who know what they'r doing, u can always break the line well b4 line slips.

For the sake of saving the back pocket a bit of agony I would be filling half the spool with mono and putting on a topshot of braid. At least when you find that monster that will spool you no matter what, she'll only take half the amount of braid.

As far as knots go i prefer to tie one that I know will break. That way if you do get spooled you won't get to the end of the spool and hve to hang on while the 50lb line breaks. Also lessons the risk of breaking a rod.

Terry

I use backing only when I dont have enough line to fill the spool. If you end up with that much line out there is only a few loops around the spool (which is the only time it could slip) you're probably going to lose the fish any way (IE the line will snap when you get fully spooled)

the reasons i use backing i have found the fuller your spool is the easer it is to cast and it stops braid sliping when i started fishing i did not use it untill i have maxed every thing out and on a fish to big and fast for it and sone thing has to give and thats were it fails for me

bigtez wrote:

For the sake of saving the back pocket a bit of agony I would be filling half the spool with mono and putting on a topshot of braid. At least when you find that monster that will spool you no matter what, she'll only take half the amount of braid.

As far as knots go i prefer to tie one that I know will break. That way if you do get spooled you won't get to the end of the spool and hve to hang on while the 50lb line breaks. Also lessons the risk of breaking a rod.

Terry

10 points for this one Terry, an excellent answer, That makes sense.

And to answer the original question, I use platypus Low strech. Matching the braid strength.

Jayson

Jayson

Thanks for all the tips guys. I just tried both ways, with mono first but then I was only able to fit 230m of braid on the spool. So I tried electrical tape and anchored wound on the first 30m really tight and I used all my might to pull the braid but it wouldn't slip so I've been able to put 300m and that's exactly the amount I wanted :)

Archived