Fillit knife

AZZA

Hi fellers, need to buy a new fillit knife as the last one went over the side out near Huchies [not put away propperly bloody deckies] went into bcf and amart and all the knives are sealed in blister packs so you cant have a good look at them as the last one was not that flash at holding an edge was hopping someone might be able to advise on a half decent one

I use swibo knives they are excellent German quality and hold their edge very well. Other good German knives that I have used are wegner and F Dick. I have an old pre world war one F Dick knife that used to belong to my grandmother and it is the best knife that I have ever had. I do not take it out in the boat.

Best place to buy swibo knives are butcher supply shops such as Lesnies at morningside. They are also stocked in some butcher shops. Patons at Victoria point have them.

You will pay at least $40 for one but its a lifetime investment.

Cheers

Ray

Stupid censor wont let me type dick so i will write fdick as one word

Frosts used to be a good low cost knife if you want one that keeps an edge.

Me - I prefer a soft knife, a few quick strokes on the steel every minute or two keeps a soft knife sharp as.

A Knife that keeps its edge drives me mad putting the edges back on (I used to do a lot of skinning). I threw more than one frost knife in the scrub in my day! Keep an edge well, but take half an hour to sharpen!

I recently purchased a Svord fillet knife.

Sounds Sweedish but is actually from NZ.

Wasn't cheap (no where near the dearest either), but is definately worth every cent i paid (about $65).

It's a bit less flexible than what i'm used to, but does the job nicely.

I've also heard Victorinox make some of the best fillet knives around.

I cheat and use Glendas knives when we get home to fillet our fish :laugh:

The one that she has is very good quaility (chefs knives)It's a Zwilling made by J.A. Henckels, Germany. Like most knives the best are from Germany. Good feel and hold their edge very well seem to be beter steel.

Best place we have found to buy is from someplace like "King of Knives",

As others have said, German knives are up there with the best and FDick knives are pretty good, don't have a FDick filleting kinfe, but I have FDick skinning and boning knives (for roos & cows, sheep, goats etc) and they are pretty good. Proper sharpen on a stone frome time to time & a splap on a steel now & then, finished off on leather & they seem to do the job pretty well.

Cheers,

Matt

Archived