bream fishing on soft plastics

Hi

I have seen that most of the people have been fishing breams using meat. I prefer rather clean hands :) so I would like to use soft plastics- imitation of worm or sth. but as I have never seen bream (yes- I'm new- I wonder when it will be unnecessery to explain this :) ) I was trying fishing on the normal big hook like I used for the bass.I had many tries but caught nothing. so I wonder if only small breams ate my lures or maybe the mouth of these fish are too small and I need to change a hook to the small one???

thx

Getting Bream on lures is far more difficult than on bait. Especially since you've never caught a Bream before, it may be better to get a few on bait to familiarise yourself with where the live and so forth.

But if you want to go for it straight away, you can't go past Berkley Gulp! 3" Minnow Grubs in colours such as Mango Ripple or Pumkinseed. Match these with a 1/16oz jighead with a 1/0 hook (TT Lures make a good size just like this).

Good luck, don't be too dishearted if you aren't successful your first few tries, they will come:)

Having never fished for bream with any sort of lure, I find the size of plastic your talking about Cowfish amazing!

Everyone seems to rave about $X40's as the gun bream lure and they are tiny little things, but you reckon a 3inch plastic on a 1/0 hook! Thats certainly bigger than any plastic I've used for bass (except for when I have got the odd stonker bass on a squidgee 80mm slick rig whilst fishing for barra).

thats a look at the bream's mouth, as you can see they have rather large teeth, i am presuming this bream has been eating quite a number of prawns and hardyheads and other baitfish as there teeth are usually smaller from munching on oysters and barnacles. soft plastics wise, you can't go past the good old atomic prong these are great plastics and i have pulled about 10 bream in the last 2 trips with this plastic, flickbaits and powerbaits in the smallest size(colours: bloodworm, pearl watermelon, pumkinseed, evil minnow and smelt), gulp worms and shrimps will pull a fair few fish but i rather steer clear of them and pull most fish on normal plastics to prove the skill that i carry. jigheads, use gamakatsu's, nito and tt jigheads as these are the sharpest you can get, sizes 1/32 and 1/16th are my favourites with size 2,4 and 1/0 hooks on them. Retreives use your wrist and flick the rod 3 times and pause, as using your wrist produces a better action. i hope it helps and i hope you pull a few nice fish.

[img size=267]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Bream_fishing_Spot_X_004-2e6aa25865798625f50f81b39617abd6.jpg

post-3291-144598459183_thumb.jpg

Shrimpo wrote:

3" is the average size feral, It does seem big but they still have a go.

i think 2inch is more the go for bream but everyone does have their own ways, for me its 2inch gulp shrimps, 80mm wrigglers or 3inch gulp minnows and any other small plastics like ecogear paramax and atomic grubs

It depends where you are size wise. Match the hatch.

In the Brunswick river and Noosa for example I find the bream around the wharves finnicky. I put this donw to a combination of both large number of people and crystal clear water (for the most part). In this locations I find a halved GULP bloodworm or various natural 2 Inch Shrimp matched with the lightest possible jig head the go.

However fishing from the rocks at straddy totally different story. Thanks the white wash, you can get away with heavier leader which is a must for the rocks. Also a heavier jig head is required. I also dont use smaller than a 4inch plastics here, Usually a 4inch GULP minnow. 5 Inch Eco Product eye balls in most colours have also worked well here.

Angus

im no bream fisho but i try to be.. :laugh: :laugh:

the lighter you can go with main and leader the better you will go. im using 3lb crystal but going to 1lb soon alongside 4 lb leader soon ... a mate of mine uses only 1lb and he brains the fish, mainly on 2in shrimps and occasionally blades, also the gulp minnows work well in 2in, mainly in the lime tiger color,and just use enough weight in your jighead to get the lure down to where the fish are holding, again the lighter the better.. the mate reckons to be super soft with your hands and only use little twitches and dead sticking.. seems to work well for him.. hope this helps you in your quest... keep trying mate it will happen.. :laugh: :laugh:

Maxi

The TT hidden weight jigheads in 1/20 - 1/40 have produced some nice fish for me lately with 3" Powerbait Minnows. The powerbaits tend to get attacked less by toadies and IMO have a more natural look and action than GULP. The TT HWS hook goes right down towards the middle of the plastic so you get a better hookup rate. They also tend to hold the lure more horizontal in the water instead of nose diving.

I'm finding as the weather is getting colder bream are less inclined to hit hard bodies, so fishing plastics will likely be more productive until it heats up again.

Feral wrote:

Having never fished for bream with any sort of lure, I find the size of plastic your talking about Cowfish amazing!

Everyone seems to rave about $X40's as the gun bream lure and they are tiny little things, but you reckon a 3inch plastic on a 1/0 hook! Thats certainly bigger than any plastic I've used for bass (except for when I have got the odd stonker bass on a squidgee 80mm slick rig whilst fishing for barra).

It does seem odd to use a 3" plastic, but that is with the tail fully stretched out, so they're not that big. The minnow grubs look alot smaller than they are rated. The 1/0 hook gets a few more hookups from Bream that just attack the tail.

Oh and those exact plastics did catch the two biggest Bream in last years BRC:lol:

Dec wrote:

Bram will hit a large lures I have caught a 23cm bream on a 60mm Lucky Craft surface lure but some other people go even bigger using a 75mm surface lure.

True, check out a bunch of Newstead reports from a few months back. We were getting heaps of bream on 8cm Kmart minnows.:S

Archived