Cardwell, Hinchinbrook

andyr

Hi Everyone.

I'm going to Cardwell in Oct.to fish Hinchinbrook channel and island for the first time. Has anyone out there got any hints where to fish there, I'm hoping to target barra,jacks and fingermark. Any advice would be welcome.

Regards Andy

What sort of boat will you be fishing from.

That time of year should see the barra,jacks and fingermark as well as others on the chew.

Any of the creeks in Misionary Bay at the top of the island offer good fishing or there are plent of creeks on the inside of the island as well as on the mainland.

You could also locate yourself at Lucinda instead of Cardwell.

At Lucinda you have good access to many of the creeks located on the inside of the island as well as good mainland ones.

Lucinda also has a large loading warf that offers great fishing options from a boat or there are places that you can fish from the shore.

i haven't fished there for a while but used to live bait with mullet, herring and prawns around the mouth of the creeks, any rock bars etc and have good success on barra, jacks, fingermark, cod etc. any deep holes are worth a look on the slack tides too, the barra seem to sit in them pre wet season. around the outside of the island if you can get there is many options for all sorts of fish, from trout to barra, queenies gt's etc. it's a great place to explore. live bait is the go for the best catches.

troll deep divers as close to the pylons of lucinda jetty as you can get for huge fingermark

hinchinbrook is a huge place and quite hard to get sorted very easy to get lost or stranded by the tide

if you can afford it spending a day with a good guide is the best way to get an idea of the place

That's my old playground.

Here's some options:

Floating pillies at the sugar jetty for Spanyiards, or even throwing slugs at the poles, or trolling it.

Bottom bouncing for reefies at Bramble, Trunk or any of the other inner reefs.

Mid Herbert River for Jacks and Barra (watch out for crocs).

Big Bream are a gimme in any of the creeks and runoffs.

There's a nice weed bed off Palm Is. and that'll give you anything and everything.

The Bluff is deep and provides plenty of fish at the right turn of the tide.

Don't waste your time at Haycock Island. It looks the part but has never given me anything to write home about.

You'll easily get your bread and butters at Taylors Beach and Forest Beach which isn't far through Halifax.

If you want to catch fingermark, head south a little and get out to Paluma Shoals. It's not far from land and at night, it's a better chance than anywhere.

If a fish gets off or busts you off, you'll find the whole school will spook off and disappear.

Just change spots and start again, or burleying them back up can sometimes bring them back. They can be very delicate.

Good luck mate.

Can't wait to see the reports.

Here's a pic of to get you excited.

Michael [img size=320]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/p_041.jpg

post-915-144598459236_thumb.jpg

If you do decide to spend a day with a guide try crackerjack at Lucinda.

Went out with him 18 months ago and I can't recomend him enough.

Top bloke with great local fishing knowledge and a good sense of humor to make you trip one to remember.

Remember spending 1 day with a local guide can give you experience that could otherwise take a lot fishing trips in the area to pick.

Archived