North Pine Dam: Terry H's first visit.

Terry H

Well, asked a local fishing guru last night about NPD and decided the excitement of monster toga and bass at Ewen wasn't good enough for the sheer number of 50+cm model bass coming out of NPD. That and it would be a later start to the morning meaning I could finally get some sleep!

Anyway got to bullocky's rest about 7:30 - made it on time, first time in a few trips, car didn't break down, happy town.

Dino had his usual 10/12 lbs mainline with 15lbs leader,

I had my Lee custom special loaded with < 100m 4lbs and 10lbs leader. Perfect for fishing that heavy grass :lol: Somewhere deep down I knew Dino was thinking I'm crazy or stupid..

Anyway, I started of with my modified buzz baits, dino with his special spinner baits and we started flicking around in search of some bass. It wasn't before too long that I saw the back of a small bass scoot along just behind my buzz bait, just enough to let you know there's bass in there but nothing to really excite you.

After a while Dino started to get a couple of hits but no hook up so I switched over to one of my favoured spinners

It wasn't before too long that bang! yep I'm on... The 4lbs easily dragged this high twenties fish up and into the grass, and then it darted off into the grass... and pulled the hooks on it... fish gone :dry:

Oh well, I keep flicking .. a couple of casts later, bang. yep i'm on again :woohoo: wait, he's not big either, slightly bigger than the last, and I navigate him successfully through the grass.

That's 1 for Terry

But Dino obviously didn't like to be outdone and as soon as I released my fish bang yep he's on too. Nothing special, we've found the little-uns

I move a bit further down and continue flicking. Bang, :woohoo: this guy is a little better, even pulls some drag! although, maybe only 1m :blush: I pull him through the grass successfully and manage to get him to land.

Before you could say Terry 2, Dino 1, I heard Dino mention he was on again.. :lol: It's about now I make a comment like: "cmon mate, you're showing me how to fish this dam, you're suppose to let me beat you:P" We both got low 40 fish, but we've seen plenty of those so wont worry about posting photos, dino quickly got rid of his before anyone could notice it:P

After a few more flicks my spinnerbait found a solid snag in the middle of no where, and it was time to try a new lure.

Dino told me jackalls work, just depending on "how rich you feel". So, knowing I have 10lbs leader and my drag cranked up, I felt pretty confident.

We had a quiet period, and didn't hook any fish for a while. We visited the spot dino got his 57 from and BANG drag flies off.... bit like this: bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz first fish to do this on that particular rod, yep definitely a 50+cm model of whatever it is. aaaand I'm bricked about 30m out... crap. give it a small bit of slack, a wiggle, a tug a flick back, check drag...

Drags a bit loose, get ready to tighten it and.. ping.. wtf??

Leader busted :blush: really good fish :( I'd say definitely a PB bass

Oh well, time for another jackall :lol: As I'm rigging up, Dino hooks up again and quickly releases that little fella

Dino comes a bit closer and hooks up again, this time gets it into the grass and it hsoots off for some grass. Dino tries the usual tricks and it doesn't come out. I offer to walk out for him, and find that what I bring up is just a spinnerbait with some grass, no bass:(

I flick out the jackall again and bang! I'm on again :woohoo: this guy gets stuck in the grass, and I take off my shirt to head out into the water, reach almost crotch deep water and manage to wiggle him free of the grass, another mid 30s fish comes to the bank, try for a few more flicks , but nothing really happens and its time to go home

Dino: 3, lost 1 in the grass

Terry: 3, lost 1 in the grass and got busted off well out from the visible grass.

No pics, no 50s.

Edit: I'll be back again to score a PB bass :)

Dino: Thanks for showing me some of the dam mate. I really appreciate it:)

Dino needs to start guided fishing tours...NPD = North Pine Dino!

You are keen going in up to your ball sinkers Terry, stuff that.

I must drag myself out there early one morning and see if I can break my NPD duck. If I do I'll be going heavy to avoid the winter wading.

Thanks for the report.

Rocket

Archived