NPD - Sunday 8th June - THE REPORT

Terry H

North Pine Dam

A number of firsts!

8/06/2008

Headed down to Lake Samsonvale and got there at a bright and early 6:30, wait for Lee, and then Jason, (faulked) caught up with us. We left the cars at probably 7:15am and headed down the track before starting to walk in the bush at a random spot.

Well, we kept walking, I missed my 2 logs that i was looking out for and kept walk.

And kept walking

And then realised I’d got waaaaaaay past where I wanted to go, so went back a bit.

Found what might have been the location (it wasnt’) and walked in. In fact, found we were a good 100-200m past it. Walk out to a little bay and a point and started flicking around in the grass, standing about gonads deep. After a little while I hooked up to a small bass and quickly threw it back before anyone got a good look :blush: Lure of choice: Mazzi Vibe. We saw someone working the banks heading towards us.. Tom B?? Checked to see if he had caught any, I think a bass and yella was the response.

Continued working the banks, varying from knee to waist deep, and then we saw a surface hit out about 30 metres. I flung out the crankbait and landed it near the surface hit, started retrieving and before too long bam! Landed an alright fish, low 40s. Can’t remember if this was the particular fish, :blush: but here is what I think it was:

8-06-2008-NorthPineDam-TerrysEarlyb.jpg

We continued working around to the next point where I managed to hook up to a few more fish, Lee managed to drop one and faulked managed to pick up a coupe here. We then saw a couple of guys bashing their way through the grass, notably Paul (UNT) was first leading the way through thick grass. By the way paul, we did leave you a path... it was just knee-waist deep :laugh:

Around this area faulked picked up a nice little yella:

8-06-2008-NorthPineDam-Jasonsfaulke.jpg

And a good pb bass:

8-06-2008-NorthPineDam-Jasonfaulked.jpg

Lee managed to pick up a bass around here too, but quickly put it in the water before anyone else could see it ;) :laugh:

I picked up a couple of more, each appeared to brick me every freaking time, I don’t know how, felt like I had the heaviest drag and held the rod high to try and get them up to the surface, yet they would just go from clump to clump :angry: Somewhere along the line I pulled up this bass, yep they’re slowly getting bigger! – Sorry about the water on the lense :(

8-06-2008-NorthPineDam-Terry-Bassar.jpg

Then I hooked a half decent fish (edit - sorry, this isn't relation/comparing the fish I just caught pictured above), and bam! Bricked me. Great, this is a SOLID brick... give it some slack, nothing :( So I let some line out, stomp out a track towards dry land and leave all my gear whilst I go for a swim. I swim around the grass out in the water and manage to pull the mazzi vibe free, with no bass :( Great, now the wind picks up and I start going purple :( fark it’s cold! I even considered going for a swim troll since it appears to be warmer in the water.

Faulked started hauling in the fish, and Lee was getting a bit annoyed at NPD. He talked about moving and then I said “na man there’s fish here†BAM just finished saying here, and yep I was on! :laugh: half way through this as I’m navigating more sticks bammo, faulked was on again. I got a small bass, Jason got another yella, lee got the sh!7s

We continued pushing around, even Rocket joined up!

Faulked and I hooked a few more bass, and even Paul chipped in with a nice bass!

P6080638AFO.jpg

Rocket left to go to another spot, and Lee and I eventually went down. Faulked departed.

Well we clearly didn’t go the way rocket did, and stomped through some grass before spotting a bright white object. Jesus that’s some serious reflection!! Oh wait, it’s rocket without a top :woohoo: :laugh:

So naturally, I have to ask... Rocket, whats with the no top mate? Well apparently he got slammed by a big fish, screaming drag off before being bricked.... Naturally, he went in after it. Of course, being the keen fisherman that he is, he didnt’ bother checking pockets – hope ya phone holds up mate :sick:

Story goes that he lost the fish, but let us know where. Lee and I headed over and I started flicking my Jackal mask vibe (I love those expensive lures in a dam that loves to swallow them up hey??) Bammo! Yeah this is an alright fish! And another 40 comes to the bank. Everyone is about to go, I flick out a cast wait for it to sink, crank the handle to bring up slack and oh wait somethings on it, WHAM! Oh yep, this fish smacked it on the drop!! The weight felt pretty darn good, but no fight.. Based on the fight I was thinking Yella, Lee called it for bass because of when it struck. I agreed with his logic, but was still unsure as this was fighting like a wet sock.... quite a heavy wet sock.

Then I pulled it up through the grass, got a glimpse of it and then the rod buckles over and line starts to come off.. wow, drag! Yes this is a GOOD fish :) Lee gets excited, bounces around a bit and claims its a high 50-60cm bass... All the while I’m trying to navigate this fish through a small section of open water in amongst some heavy thickly stemmed grass, not that easy when the fish is pull off drag. My mind was on the hooks, did I hook him well enough? I have no idea it hit on the drop! Lee gets excited, busts out the lip grips and gets ready to get wet for it.. thanks mate ! :)

Before long, the lip grips were in, camera busted out... but we forgot to check the lens :( bit wet, some dodgy photos :sick:

8-06-2008-NorthPineDam-Terry-PBBass.jpg

8-06-2008-NorthPineDam-Terry-PBB-1.jpg

And it measures in at a 56cm length: a new pb!

8-06-2008-NorthPineDam-Terry-PBB-2.jpg

We continue to fish around this area, and lee picks up 3 more fish here, and I pick up another to round off a good day.

8-06-2008-NorthPineDam-Lee-Leesbigg.jpg

What a day, a new PB, a cracker at that. First time I’ve been to NPD and not lost a jackal OR an aus spin spinner, and first time I’ve pulled a 50+cm bass from there as well. That’s what I’d call a nice day:)

Tally:

Terry 11 bass, 1 pb 56cm

Faulked 5 bass 2 yellas

Lee 4 bass

Paul (UNT) 1 bass

Rocket 2

PS: Despite what may be depicted from some of these photos, most fishing done by faulked, Lee and myself was standing in anywhere between knee and waist deep water.

So I went down to NPD and caught some fish

faulked gota few

and so did lee

paul got one too

The end.

Hope you enjoyed the read :silly:

lol

ok sorry - couldn't help myself. :blush: just thought it'd be funny to do that after making everyone wait so long :laugh:

Reports up now:) :P

Good report Terry, only fair that you started the report as you caught the most fish;)

My applolgies to all local residents and fellow fishers for walking around shirtless, but when you feel a PB on the line, you do strange things. With-out a doubt the biggest bass I've ever had on, reel screeming, rod worked to full load...and then bricked:angry:

So there I am, water lapping over my shoulders, tip-toeing the fragile line between freeing the fish and breaking the leader...the things we do for a bass:blush::silly:

To make matters work the beast got away and my phone got a bath, but I did get my lure back.

I did manage two bass today, not monsters, but hard work in the terrain. Both took a slowly worked G-vibe (first bass on gvibe for me) and had to be muscled in...no room for finesse here.

[img size=448]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/NPD_8_June_08_001.jpg

As Terry suggested, the area we fished was hard to access and wading was the only way to go, so you really work for your fish.

Congrats to the other boys, big effort.

Rocket

post-953-14459846103_thumb.jpg

was a good day, wish I knew I was gonna end up b@lls deep in water, wouldn't have worn sneakers. Only caught 1 fish, I only brought a few non-spinnerbaits with me as I was determined to catch my first spinnerbait fish. Unfortunately they didn't want to know about the spinners and Pete and I quickly lost my only two lipless cranks.

I had an old plastic that I bought about 5 years ago, my first ever plastic to be precises, after buying them I realised they were way too heavy for normal use ( had built in sinker/hook ). Anyways somehow one of these was in my tacklebag so I chucked it on.

A few casts and nothing, out of desperation I did another cast and cranked it back pretty quick .. HIT! damn didn't hook, crank, HIT! didn't hook. I'm thinking I should have attached a stinger at this stage when HIT! and drag started screaming. I had the drag loose so I tightened it up and made sure the hook was set. Fought him over some weeds and landed him.

He was only about 45cm, not really worth measuring as Pro's like me laught at anything less that 65cm. I let Terry take a quick photo feeling pretty embarrassed that I have a photo with such a small fish.

Chucked him back in the dam and then threw my lure into the water as I had a bunch of slack to wind in. I wound in the slack and there was no lure on the end. The fish must have sliced the leader with his gill rakes just before I released him.

With my only decent lure gone I went back to spinner baits and caught nothing else.

username_taken wrote:

He was only about 45cm, not really worth measuring as Pro's like me laught at anything less that 65cm. I let Terry take a quick photo feeling pretty embarrassed that I have a photo with such a small fish.
o_O

Good photo though mate :) New rod looks a pearla.

Chucked him back in the dam and then threw my lure into the water as I had a bunch of slack to wind in. I wound in the slack and there was no lure on the end. The fish must have sliced the leader with his gill rakes just before I released him.

:laugh: Thought you'd done a Lee for a moment :laugh:

Sorry about the water mate, someone did recommend waders for rocket :o

Awesome session guys and has got me pretty amped to get a big toga tomorrow. Well done to all gettin ball deep in search of quality fish in cold windy conditions and congrats on all the PBs.

Monster bass Terry & Jason. Well done guys.

Brett

I had a look at the alphas, casts pretty well. Although, it didn't when Lee kept decreasing the mag brakes in an attempt to increase them for casting into the wind :laugh:

Drag appeared to be a bit sticky though - looks like it needs a bit of a clean/grease

Great effort guys. I managed to quickly wet a line while I was there. Landed one legal bass then got bricked by something that felt much bigger. Actually busted through 14lb leader :ohmy:

Then Dennis' mate came down and pulled 3 high 40s bass in right next to me as I watched in amazement. You old school bassmen really know what you're doing alright. :cheer:

All up only got to fish for about 30 mins. Might have a proper crack tomorrow morning if anyone else is around give us a hoy.

Oh and it was interesting to see how Dino's mate would un brick himself by just giving the bass enough line to get free but not enough to shake the hook loose. A good lesson learned.

Dan

how was the walk out for you guys i tried to go the inland walk but the grass was frigin insane so i jumped back in and waided the whole way round and cut a path straight up to the road i was absolutely stuffed by the time i got to the car im not used to picking my feet up when i walk obviously :laugh:

Yes, the walk out was pretty demanding, reckon the quads will be sore tommorrow:S We slogged through the grass till we could make it to the tree line and get on the path proper, then it was easy going

I reckon that I will try some of the more accessable spots as it gets colder and I am less keen to get wet:blush:

I tried the ploy of letting the fish unsnag itself, but alas, the treble was stuck fast in the grass, I think that perhaps that theory works best with spinnerbaits?

Rocket

Dan23 wrote:

Seems like spinnerbaits are the way to go anyway. Maybe some weedless rigged plastics could be alright too.

They didn't want my spinnerbaits today:( , only interested in bibless cranks, but spinnerbaits went well earlier in the week.

I'm yet to get a bass on SP so that could be my next NPD mission...or maybe on poppers!

Rocket

probs going to go otu 2moz l8 morning

8 or 9ish

wheneva i can get mum up 2 drive me

will be fishing....spot 2

but have limited gear cause i havent been getting anywhere near enough fishing time this year

only got a G-vibe left, but have a few old spinner baits

will see how i go adn post a report if / wen i get ther

very nice fish today boyss

Great day had by all a little frustrating for me early on, lost 2 mask vibes :(:( dropped a couple of fish on the SB's etc but ended up making up for it with a couple of late fish \

My tally

first fish about 30 odd cm

Second fish early forties

Third early to mid forties

and last fish went 49cm

Lee

PS the Alphas went Well Stu casts the heavier Spinnerbaits and mask vibs better than the Pixy very happy with it but as Terry said might clean or upgrade the drag

Lee

pcsolutionman wrote:

Great day had by all a little frustrating for me early on, lost 2 mask vibes :(:( dropped a couple of fish on the SB's etc but ended up making up for it with a couple of late fish \

My tally

first fish about 30 odd cm

Second fish early forties

Third early to mid forties

and last fish went 49cm

Lee

PS the Alphas went Well Stu casts the heavier Spinnerbaits and mask vibs better than the Pixy very happy with it but as Terry said might clean or upgrade the drag

Lee

Yep, I didn't really get to use it like lee, just a feel, short cast on grass at "carpark" but it felt pretty good ;)

Archived