maroochy river sat 14/6

Burko

took my brother and sister out to brave the wind, promised them a trip in the tinny so had to go somewhere safe. maroochy seemed the go as it runs east west (wind was southerly).

Anyway first time in the rive by boat, launched at picnic point and headed east. bang! ooh a bit shallow eh!. got used to plowing over the sand bars. pumped a few yabbies moved around a bit, caught a few just legal bream then just on dark tide was up found a nice little spot next to big island at mouth, down to a few little yabbies when my little 2kg outfit went bbbzzzzzzzz!!!! oh sh@t 5 minute battle and we realised i had left the net at home, anyway my brother comfort lifted a nice 39cm tarwine into the boat. I was stoked, they look a lot tougher than bream when they get that big, mouth is a lot bigger than a 40cm bream anyway.

nice way to cap off a great day on the water, even if we only took one fish home. (tarwine was hooked deep in the gills so i decided to keep it)

the one thing i noticed about this river is the depth. ok so it was low tide when we set out. near the mouth on the southern side there is a series of jetties coming off some big appartments. this is where i first hit bottom, anyway decided to drift over closer to jetties assuming there would be deep water there. nope less than a foot deep and rocky as well. WTF a jetty for your yak i s'pose.

Archived