NPD 21 June 08 Slugfest

Rocket75

Despite poor results of late I decided to brave the icy wind and chase the elusive bass this afternoon.

Upon arrival I found a familiar face...Aaron H was just preparing to wet a line, so together we donned the waders and hit the water.

Things were pretty slow with no interst in spinnerbaits or lipless cranks. The wind was fair in our faces which made casting a chore and cut distance considerably.

Out of neccesity and hope, Aaron changed to a small (20g) gold slug and in short time had 3 fish to my none.

Evidently the fish were holding deep and about 50-60m off the bank.

Eventually I nicked one of Aaron's slugs in silver and got a few bass for myself. (First bass on slug for me!)

Dino wandered down and joined us for a while, joined the slug party and showed us how to catch bass withour gettting your feet wet.

I think Aaron ended up with 8 fish ranging from 30cm up to 43.

Dino got a couple of middling ones and I ended up with 3 lil' tackers.

Side effect of the long casts and deep water was seeing my joining knot (braid to backing) for the first time since loading the reel.

Fishing this style with small capacity reels may see you with an empty spool, so be prepared!

No big ones today, and who knows if the pattern will be the same tommorrow, but it's fun trying:cheer:

Thanks for reading.

Aarons fish of the day

[img size=319]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/NPD_21_june_08_003.jpg

post-953-144598462406_thumb.jpg

Well you guys did better than me and George we only got two fish well I'd better get some slugs for the next time. Just asking I have only ever got 1 bass on a slug winding flat out what other retreives do you find work on bass.

Dec wrote:

Well you guys did better than me and George we only got two fish well I'd better get some slugs for the next time. Just asking I have only ever got 1 bass on a slug winding flat out what other retreives do you find work on bass.

I think it was Stu and Andrew last year that taught us to fish them a bit like a plastic letting it hit the bottom and wind slowly with a few twitches

Dec wrote:

we were casting as far as possible, letting the slug hit bottom, then lift/jig and take up slack, and repeat etc

Rocket

Rocket75 wrote:

Dec wrote:

we were casting as far as possible, letting the slug hit bottom, then lift/jig and take up slack, and repeat etc

Rocket

yeah what you said rocket that how we were doing it last year so you guys think they were schooling ?

Aaron mate... Im' sure Lee has some spare concrete if you need some :laugh:

what happened? If they get you in the grass, give them some slack and they usuall come out

If you are winding it in and get caught in grass, give the rod a few rips/flicks - make sure you dont have a dodgy rod like lees one (snap!) :laugh: this usually degrasses you :)

I'd say I'd hit NPD tomorrow morning until about noon, but at this stage I'd need a sober driver to take me there

TerryH wrote:

Aaron mate... Im' sure Lee has some spare concrete if you need some :laugh:

what happened? If they get you in the grass, give them some slack and they usuall come out

If you are winding it in and get caught in grass, give the rod a few rips/flicks - make sure you dont have a dodgy rod like lees one (snap!) :laugh: this usually degrasses you :)

I'd say I'd hit NPD tomorrow morning until about noon, but at this stage I'd need a sober driver to take me there

:laugh: It worked a couple of times mate but I got caught a fair way out and after about ten minutes lost patience with it, and swimming for a $4 slug was not an option:laugh:

Archived