NPD 20/08/08

Rocket75

Lacking confidence after four donuts in a row at NPD, I enlisted some help for today's session.

Dino and I headed out from Forgans this afternoon and after a bit of a walk, found ourselves a likely looking spot that has been firing of late.

I came prepared based on Dino's tips from previous posts...20, 25g and 30g slugs, a long+strong rod and plenty of braid for long casts.

After only a few casts (and some advice) I was on.

Dino had warned me that there was little room for finesse when fishing this spot and how right he was.

With loads of sunken shrubs and long grass between the angler and the deep water, any fish hooked was a long way from being landed (litterally and figuratively:blink: )

I had my drag tightened to normal NPD setting (hard), and as the fish struck my slug out deep I gave it plenty cranking my little 2500 Revros as fast as I could. Alas, even my frantic efforts were not enough, the fish gained some line against my drag and quickly bricked me...gone.

My first chance of ending my donut run gone, I re-rigged with adrenaline pumped shaking hands and got another 25g slug out as far as I could.

Now with drag set to the point where I could no longer pull line off by hand (I have the braid cut to prove my effort!:blush: ), I willed the bass to have hung around for me.

Lure on the bottom, big jig up, wind slow on the drop then repeat.

Because of the underwater obstructions, the jig needed to be sped back to the bank from about 15-20m out so the strike zone was fairly small.

Over the next 2 hours or so I was lucky enough to land several bass (40-46cm) in roughly the same area . 2 more made it to the sunken shrubbery and won their freedom.

Once again NPD was hard on lures with both Dino and I donating a number of slugs to the deep.

Thanks again Dino, it was a great afternoon and I appreciated your advice and company.

Photo is the biggest of the day.

[img size=448]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/NPD_20_Aug_08_001.jpg

post-953-144598470033_thumb.jpg

Archived