Awoonga Funny Stuff #1

Brian D

There were a couple of funnies that I need to share - hope you get a laugh.

Been out fishing in Lake Awoonga from 3am till about 10am - not caught nothing. Came back to the ramp and it was full. Boats lined up to come in and others lined up to go out. So I anchored the boat about 20mtrs from the ramp and tied a stern rope to a land anchor so the boat would stay still.

Took the keys and tucked away all the rods and gear and headed back to the cabin for a feed and beer (which is about 2k's from the ramp). There I sat worried about the boat for the rest of the arvo until I returned about 4pm.

I need not have worried cause every thing was fine - so of I go for the evening fish. I untied the stern rope and lifted the bow anchor. I thought I would just drift away from the ramp using the 25knot wind to push me away while I got my gear ready.

By the time I had put all the rods in place and changed the lures for the afternoon sun I was about 750mtres from the ramp so I go to start the motor and no keys. Yeap left the keys back in the car. Bloody hell - how the heck do I get back to the ramp? What an idiot.

Lesson here is to start the motor before lifting the anchor as all good boaties know you should.

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2006/11/22 10:35

Well gerty the boat is too big to row.

I had a spare key in the safety box but I didn't have the kill switch lock so I had to hold the kill switch with 1 hand and a pair of plyers and push the key with the other hand and steer with my knees. :ohmy:

Dur safe boating Brain!:blush:

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2006/11/23 08:49

• 3 months later...

Reminds me of an incident back in the 70s. i was holidaying at urunga in NSW in a van park. there was a Sydney bloke there with a boat. He took me out fishing towards the mouth of the river. We anchored, fished a while, then he decided to go home. He pulled the anchor up, and as we sped at a rate of knots on the out-going tide out to the mouth, he tried unsuccessfully to start the motor. I near s///t myself as I was not a confident seaman. I learnt 2 things from that: always ensure you can start the motor before lifting the anchor... and never trust anyone from Sydney.

Archived