Anybody got a poly?

goldnugget

Hi guys, been a while.....looking around the web at diferent types of boats (ally vs f/glass)...basicly window shopping..and came across the polycraft website (prettymuch a single mould hull similar to the way a watertank is made but in a hull shape). I was wondering if someone has one that can relay their thoughts on comparisons with regular type hulls. I did notice they seem to have higher capacity motors for their size (530 cuddy type is my interest), more so probably because of their strength and lack of any joins. I did how-ever expect them to be cheaper (I guess engine combinations would have a direct impact on that), I know for example..and also anyone that has bought a polytank, knows they are made from a cheap recycled material (also have a couple of clients in that area)which once the moulds are made, the process to produce a hull wouldn't be much more than that to make a watertank......

.......anyway back to the main question, does any one have one and what are your thoughts?...there doesnt seem to be many second hand ones out there so people either aren't buying them, or they're not letting them go.

G'day mate, long time no see. Hope everything is well.

Anyways. I like the look of some of the poly range, I read a good article a while ago and they stated that the hull has a bit of weight so a bigger HP motor is the go to give them a little bit more punch.

I've never been on one so I cant tell you how they ride, I'm sure Brisbane Bay Tours(I think thats the name) use them for their fishing charters. So they must be a good boat.

Sorry I cant be more help to you, I'll have a look around for the article and pass on mre info asap.;)

Jayson

First thing go to www.polyboatowners.com

I had my Polycraft 4.55 for about a year before selling due having the money sit there and not enough time to use it, but thats another story.

So they are heavy which is why you should always put max hp on a poly, this is also the reason why they are less noisy on the water (no tinnie slap), to mod it all you do is screw something with self tappers. no rusting, no rotting. nice and strong so if you hit a sand bar or nudge a jetty you wont do any damage. Trailer needs to be made for a polycraft you can't use rollers.

Best bet is to take one for a drive. The website above is great all the info you need and someone will take you for a run to help you in your purchase.

Lots of folks on here saw mine and went for a run so they may give their opions too.

pm if you have any questions

After being in a 480 brumby s/c not long ago with a motor that was 15hp over the max rating I have decided I won't be buying one. To me it seemed to be about the bare minimum hp not over the max.

It did however ride fairly smooth although this hull was very wet until it was put back in the mold and reset.

i too almost bought one about a year ago...they seem to be very slow boats for some reason..and they are VERY WET BOATS...jump on that poly boat owners forum and they are all in agreeance...

as for hitting sand bars,rock and pylons,invest money on a good chart plotter and you shoudnt hit one anymore.

Thanks for your replies guys, will check out the link. I was particularly hoping they would have been significantly cheaper as a result of the build process (and its resilience (I know, I spelt it wrong) as far as bumping into things (submerged timber etc)...will keep looking, but if anyone has anything else to add feel free.

Gday Jayson, yep its been a while and all is well (looking at a second job for lifes luxuries (reads: 4x4 and boat ...shame I cant claim it on tax or medicare as a stress reliever)...so yeah I'm starting to look around at some of my options for when the time is right.

Cheers Jason

Archived