warning bp fuel users

noname

while at a bp servo getting some lures the other night, i noticed a bright yellow sticker that recomended not using 91 octane fuel, in outboard motors apparently all bp servo's have this 91 octane. i don't use the stuff myself, so i didn't take too much notice. i think this is aimed at direct injected 2 strokes and 4 stroke motors, but i am not sure. i know it's the cheapest fuel bp sells, but it might just cost a bit in the long run if your pride n joy is outta action because of fuel problems, i din't know if all bp servo's have this sticker, so it might pay to ask the question, and double check

Kriso you are right in that BP's blend is 91, but they also still sell "real" 91.

Also to be clear, the octane rating is the knock resistance of the fuel when combusted.

Shrimpo is right, 91 RON is our "standard" unleaded. Also FYI what is normally labelled premium is 95 RON and better brands also offer 98 RON as well. 95 RON does not imply that ethanol has been added. Ethanol should only be mixed in if it is clearly labelled at the browser (required by law). I choose not to run ethanol in my car (an 06 Focus) but it is recommened to be run on 95, so I always keen an eye the the pump signage to check the fuel is ethanol free.

Generally I think that ethanol blends are normally mixed with 95 RON (and labelled appropriately) as ethanol has a lower specific energy than 91 and hence you get less bang for your buck when mixed. This is why it has to be mixed with a higher rating petrol, or you will end up with a mix that performs worse than 91 RON, which wouldnt be good..

Also I have seen plenty of articles in Wheels Mag and elsewhere stating that ethanol blended fuels degrade the fuel consumption by a few percent (the energy issue mentioned above) and even though the ethanol mixes are typically a few cents/litre cheaper, it is hit an miss whether you are saving any hard earned $$$ by using it (enconomy wise despite being cheaper), and numerous questions have been raised claiming that the greenhouse emissions from producing an ethanol mix are actually higher than simply burning a straight oil based fuel. And thats not even mentioning the issue of using food crops to produce fuel when millions of people are starving...

Sorry I got sidetracked, but I really don't like ethanol:blush:

werewolf wrote:

Also I have seen plenty of articles in Wheels Mag and elsewhere stating that ethanol blended fuels degrade the fuel consumption by a few percent (the energy issue mentioned above) and even though the ethanol mixes are typically a few cents/litre cheaper, it is hit an miss whether you are saving any hard earned $$$ by using it (enconomy wise despite being cheaper), and numerous questions have been raised claiming that the greenhouse emissions from producing an ethanol mix are actually higher than simply burning a straight oil based fuel. And thats not even mentioning the issue of using food crops to produce fuel when millions of people are starving...

Sorry I got sidetracked, but I really don't like ethanol:blush:

Iám with werewolf on this ethanol blended fuels are such a rort I read an artical where a bp tec advised that you should not use ethanol blended fuels in boat motors

Yea I`m with werewolf and AZZA,I~m of the understanding where ethanol and boats are concerned,where as you are constantly driving a car around on a regular basis,a boat often is used infrequently.If a fuel tank with ethanol is not used regularly there ncould be separation of the mix.This separation of the ethanol mix apparently causes greater condensation build ups,this and the innitial separation apparently stuffs the motor.Ethanol is also supposed to chew up certain tank liners.I am not aware of any o/board makers recommending it.Interesting subject though,untill manufacturers come out and say if it is or if it isn`t any problem in boats it`s all speculation

My 2cents worth. In the manual that came with my motor, it clearly states,"DO NOT USE ETHENOL MIX FUELS" That is from Murcury in USA.

It does say why, I will look it up however, I think all pints on this matter have been covered.

For my mind I will use only BP Ultimate or Shell Vortex, as these are 98 ron and they have cleaning additives for my carby motor, also I fill my cars up every 4 tanks with 98ron fuel to keep them in good order.

When high octain unleaded fuel were first introduced I was talking with a guy from shell and he told me that if you mix normal unleded 50/50 with premium you get some type of reaction that produces 101 octain rating. I thought it sounded totaly bogas till I tried it , you really could feel the diferance in my little datto 720 4x4 but being a tight a$$ did not use it to often, might give it a go in the boat

AZZA wrote:

When high octain unleaded fuel were first introduced I was talking with a guy from shell and he told me that if you mix normal unleded 50/50 with premium you get some type of reaction that produces 101 octain rating. I thought it sounded totaly bogas till I tried it , you really could feel the diferance in my little datto 720 4x4 but being a tight a$$ did not use it to often, might give it a go in the boat

Haha, can just picture it now, the old 720 running on rocket fuel! :woohoo:

Mmm the comments about cleaners / additives in "premium" fuel is interesting. The fuel companies fuss over their claims of cleaners and additives in their premium blends, but I have also read many comments stating that the same cleaners and additivies are in the lower RON fuels! They are telling the truth with the advertising with premium, but the omission to the truth is also very important that you get the same thing with 91! So if this is true, peeps are wasting their money buying a tank of premium to "clean" their fuel system.

Archived