My interesting week!

Tom B

Well, on tuesday me and my mate Malcom headed up to fish Borumba Dam which is about 12km from Imbil. We arived tuesday arvo and set up camp at the Borumba deer park which is a lovely place to stay.

Our first oppertunity to fish was wednesday morning where we got up at 4am and we were on the water at 4.30am. As we motored along the pituresque dam the bass were smashing bugs on the surface and we thought it was going to be a very productive morning.

So after launching we headed to a rock wall which extends around to the boat ramp, we cast popers and other surface lures which proved pointless after 45 minutes. So we decided to head to a point which had a big drop off near it and we trolled up 3 bass, all undersize on a deception shrimp in purple.

After a while the fish didn't want to play anymore so we headed off to the timber. Well, we met up with the guy who was camping next to us at the park, he to was having a slow morning with a couple undersize fish, but his luck was about to change. Me and Malcolm were no more than 50 metres away when we heard him hookup to a great looking toga, after a couple of jumps and some screaming runs we saw his line go limp, unfortunately for the poor bugger the fish had snapped the wire in his home made popper:sick: . Oh well, thats fishing!

After that we decided to move because we hadnt had a touch in the timber so we moved to a rock wall adjacent to where we were, well after deploying the predatek 6m divers i hooked up to 2 37cm bass on consecutive passes, all was good untill our third pass when we both got nailed and the fish pulled us through some nasty looking snags and rocks, all over red rover. :angry:

So after 5 fish we decided to head home as the sun was starting to get a bit high for our liking.

That arvo we went straight back to the rock wall where we caught our 2 bass, i got 2 more, another 37cm model and a larger 43cm bass:) . At about 5pm the fish shut down so we called it quits for the night.

It was another 4am start on thursday but we were more prepared and we were on the water by 4.15am, after all the surface action we saw in the timber the previous morning we decided to head straight there.

When we arived there was susface action everywhere, so on goes my brand new jackall water moccasion in a sort of greenish colour. (For those not familiar with the lure, it has a walk the dog acion when worked properly)On my fifth cast for the morning i was just twithing my lure slowly when something made an almighty splash behind it, my heart raced but the fish failed to hook up, i was so shattered as i was sure it was a toga, dam it!. But as soon as i restarted the retrieve the water exploded again and this time the line came tight, i was on, and after 2 glorious leaps and some hard runs for cover i landed my first ever toga:woohoo: . YES! he went 55cm, not a big fish im told but i was thrilled.

After my excitement the action died down a bit and we went over to the rocks to troll some more, 2 more 37cm bass. Once again the sun had started to get up high so we headed for the ramp but decided to have one more troll for the morning along the bank accross from the ramp. Well a good decision as we came up tight with 4 more 37cm bass. Then the rain decided to ruin ur morning so of to camp we headed.

At about 4.30 on thursday arvo we could see a storm rolling in so we opted for a quick troll at the bank across from the ramp, we got a mixed bag of a bass, a silver perch and a golden that decided to release itself next to the boat.

As the storm rolled closer we opted for shelter which was a very smart idea as 90kph winds blew 3inches of rain sideways under our tarps. Not much fun:(

Well after the torrential downpour the previous night we decided anvearly start was not called for so a sleep in was welcomed. When we finally got onto the water at about 8.30 we found the fish were shut down tight, couldnt even get a look from a fish.

Back at the ramp we chatted to a couple locals who said the fish would be shut down for a while after the rain, so we decided our trip was to come short of sunday and we headed home.

But who said that was the end of the fishing, when we got home i showed my mate some of my 50cm bass i caught at somerset dam last year and we decided to brave the skiboats saturday arvo, well no 58cm bass that i almost promised but we got a 40cm and 3 undersize fish, including my first undersize bass:laugh: . I suppose my streek had to end sometime.

And finally on sunday we headed out to fish Moogerah and Maroon dams, we raised 2 unders and a fish lost at the boat.

Well that concludes my epic week, all up we caught 23 fish, 1 golden, 1 silver, a toga and the rest were bass.

Pics to come:)

Thanks guys, the toga was definately the highlight of my trip.

Aaron H, the deer park isnt right on the dam itself, but it is only a few minutes away. There is also a caravan park which is just under the dam wall, but it was packed.

And don't worry gus, you'll get one oneday

Archived