Mexico

Leighton

Had a session to remember, started off early fishing with a mate in his boat "The Highroller"

Motored to his spot in 80 feet of water with rises to 30 feet, there was some good activity on the sounder so hopes were high.

First drift and second cast and I am on, fished with my heavier gear, Egrell S10 and Certate 3500HD. 3/8 Nitro and 5" Zoom, plenty of drag was needed as the area is not to be messed with. The S10 handled it pretty easy a a health Snapper was netted by Matt.

Flicked plastics for a little while longer, boating a few squire.

There were birds and Tuna working all around us, Matt was first to load up to a cranky Mac Tuna, after almost spooling him and exposing the backing we chared him down with the electric and it was soon boated.

It was now time to target the species we had in mind, the Blue Groper.

Fishing Matt's spot were quickly found out it wasnt going to be easy.

Locked Drags and some heavy gear, Matt was fishing 50lbs Braid and I was fishing 30lbs braid. These are some of the ballsyest fish I have ever come across. Tap Tap, a little weight on the line..set the hook..get smoked. Frustrating but what a rush.

Matt finally locked on to an absolute Hog and managed to pull him clear. His 50lbs set up was pinging with the strain. A few big lunges towards reef and a few other dirty tactics we finally got to see a fish. What a beast, I netted 10kg plus of some solid fish. Managed 2 more smaller ones before we decided to leave the rest for another time.

Headed in to flick poppers for Whiting, what a mistake. The Whiting didnt stand a chance, Bream, Pike and Trevs beat them to the punch. The Pike were getting air bourne fighting over the Poppers.

What a fantastic day, a great feed and plenty of bait for Crabs and Jew [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/snap_matt_AFO.jpg

post-2505-144598450041_thumb.jpg

Angus wrote:

Well done.

When I was in Yamba i used to drool over pictures of those Blue Groper. Very cool looking fish.

Whats the regs with them? Is there a closed season?

Angus

no closed season as far as I know, 2 per person

Think the major rule is no Spearfishing, they were nearly wiped out by spear fishos

they are a great fish

they live in groups of one big blue male and up to a dozen smaller brown females

if the male is taken out of the group the biggest female will turn male and completely change sex and colour over the space of about 6 months

they are a sedentary fish that never travels far so they are easy to wipeout by spearfishing and over fishing

technically they are not a grouper they are actually a wrasse

jeff f wrote:

they are a great fish

they live in groups of one big blue male and up to a dozen smaller brown females

if the male is taken out of the group the biggest female will turn male and completely change sex and colour over the space of about 6 months

they are a sedentary fish that never travels far so they are easy to wipeout by spearfishing and over fishing

technically they are not a grouper they are actually a wrasse

Thanks for the info Jeff, it is easy to see how these fish could get wiped out through over fishing. Hence the reason for my limited information. I dont mind sharing info but this was a mates spot and is very accessable.

awesome fish mate, they go hard!!! if anyone wants to be seriously tested have a go for one of these bad boys - i always used cunjevoi as they are plentiful and don't bite you when you pick them up :laugh: have been busted up many a time on 30lb gear, 50lb gear and even once on 60lb gear. great effort to land it, well done!!! :woohoo:

benno573 wrote:

awesome fish mate, they go hard!!! if anyone wants to be seriously tested have a go for one of these bad boys - i always used cunjevoi as they are plentiful and don't bite you when you pick them up :laugh: have been busted up many a time on 30lb gear, 50lb gear and even once on 60lb gear. great effort to land it, well done!!! :woohoo:

Cagey fish, I think they only bite if they know they have an escape route

Archived