Help...unknown fish

clifford

Arent they those poisonous fish that make yout flesh die and rot when you touch them. They say that toxin is released from the fish when its stressed slowing the fish down (as in playing dead) and the toxin is absorbed by the predators skin acting against the nervous system and shutting down the blood supply, causing the skin to die....

Sheesh... only kidding mate I have no idea, but did I have you checking out your hand though?

brisfisher wrote:

looks like some kind of gudgeon(spelling?)

i think ur on the money there brisfisher.. me and planetfonz caught that little baby in his link at Jindalee boat ramp.. id say last summer. but i still never got a definate id on it.. would be great to know.

Nitris wrote:

brisfisher wrote:
looks like some kind of gudgeon(spelling?)

i think ur on the money there brisfisher.. me and planetfonz caught that little baby in his link at Jindalee boat ramp.. id say last summer. but i still never got a definate id on it.. would be great to know.

Ive caught several in the cast net also and have always thought they were a gudgeon. Also good bait.

jimmybob wrote:

from the "wild guide moreton bay"..a crimson tipped flathead gudgeon....

small medium size bottom dwelling, mostly fresh water or estuaries...e.t.c

page 308

see it nitris?..reckon thats it?

Jimmybob I reckon your spot on. If your wrong i can say for that:

a: Its not a sleepy cod. That would be as liekly as casting up a murray cod in breakfast creek (in fact less likely!!).

b: Its not a whiting species.

Angus

jimmybob wrote:

page 308

i agree jimmy bob.. its damm close if it is not.. man its hard to work this book.. just takes a bit of patience i guess.. i cant believe there is no order to it..

Nitris wrote:

jimmybob wrote:

page 308

i agree jimmy bob.. its damm close if it is not.. man its hard to work this book.. just takes a bit of patience i guess.. i cant believe there is no order to it..

As I've stated earlier I work at the Queensland Museum as a graphic designer. We are currently working on a new Wild Guide to Moreton Bay, but I can't give you an estimate on when it will be in print as yet.

As a designer I am baffled by the ordering in the book myself, the scientists here have been consulted and apparently it makes sense to them.

I asked Jeff Johnson (Collection Manager of Ichthyology) about the mystery fish above - he confirmed that it is in fact a Crimson Tipped Gudgeon.

Hi Baden

Your fish is a Crimsontip Gudgeon, Butis butis. This species is common

in bays and estuaries of northern Australia between Yamba, NSW to Port

Hedland, WA. It reaches at least 18cm.

Cheers

Jeff

I think we have a fantastic resource here at AFO and the dialogue that follows each enquiry is interesting in itself. If we can't find a resolution here on AFO then the Museum is happy to answer any enquiries from the public through our website:

/>http://www.qm.qld.gov.au/inquiry/contact/

kriso wrote:

kreel,

can you ask them if they find any new species to call one a kriso fish! rofl...

You can actually pay to get a spider named after you:

Opopaea krisoeii

If you're genuinely interested, its done through the qm Foundation:

/>http://www.foundation.qm.qld.gov.au/01_cms/details.asp?ID=46

Go on Kriso, I'd love to take a can of morteine to you. :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived