RAYKES CLASSIC.

rayke1938

BLOODY FANTASTIC.

Day one we did interview with Brisbane Extra crew and assisted them with some from water shots. ) STORY WILL BE GOING TO AIR WEEK COMMENCING 15 TH JAN 5.30 CHANNEL 9 )

Interesting show on one of the party boats all very drunk and complete with strippers.

Then went for a bit of look around and fished mouth of Doboy Creek for an hour sole catch was one under bream and feral managed an abandoned crab dilly.

Went home for tea with the ambition of doing a night session for bream but after tea and a couple of home brews decided it was too late and would have early start in morning.

Day 2 . First we caught a stack of hardyheads and poddy mullet in the Redland bay marina and then decided to try sunken wall. It was blowing a bit when we launched at White Island after spending 30 minuites trying to find the ramp as it has all changed since I was there 15 years ago. ( BLOODY PROGRESS WHO NEEDS IT )

Got over there fished for about 30 minuites with no result and started to drag the pick with the wind against the tide so we decided to get out of there. Very wet and sloppy trip back to the entrance of the boat passage taking waves over the bow and slop over the side. Fininshed up running the bilge pump as we had a few inches of warer in the boat.

Fished at the entrance of the boat passage for an hour and only caught small sand crabs but were entertained by a female dolphin and her calf who put on a better show than sea world.

We then decided to go home for lunch and to try Colledges Crossing .

Fished Colledges for a few hours and managed 4 bream about 2inches long.

Went home for tea and consulted Google and the UBD to try and find somewhere out of the winde and decided on Mowbray Park where i remembered we used to catch perch when i was a kid.

I caught an eel about 3 feet long and we made an ammazing discovery that an eel will drop straight through a landing net. Any how after donging it with a full 2 litre bottle of soft drink we managed to get it into the esky.

A little bit later Alex got a good run and after a lot of work we could see that he had a monster John Howard fish (slippery slimy eel) about 5 feet long. Then the fun commenced . The pontoon was about 5 feet above the water and the handle on the landing net was 5 feet long and the pontoon was rocking to and fro from all the river traffic.

It was impossible to lead Little Johnny into the net he would just squirm and escape and Alex wasnt strong enough to lift Johnny so I had to come to the rescue and lift johnny so that feral could net him. Luckily johnny was too fat to escape through the mesh of the net. I think it took Alex about 15 minuites to bring johnny to the net and 20 minuites for us to net him.

Knocked off about 9.30 after seeing some magnificent fireworks.

Day 3. Cast netted more poddy mullett and prawns in Redland Bay marina and then launched at Colmslie.

Alex caught a shovely and I got a few smallish catfish and Feral got a good run but the fish ran the line around the prop and that was that.

Knocked off around lunch time and went home for a feed and a clean up for the weigh in.

Alex was lucky enough to win both first and secong prizes for the junior section.

All in all a wonderfull experience and it was good to meet a lot of names that i have communicated with

and I hope to meet again at the next event.

Thanks to the organisers and sponsors who made it all happen.

Ray

Post edited by: rayke1938, at: 2006/12/03 20:33

Archived