Albert rapids took $900 of my stuff

Brian D

Ouch - took the day off to have a yak fish with my son. Got to the little rapid on the western side of Vieners Road and flipped my yak trying to get up a 2' dropping rapid.

Lost a Pfhulger 7' with a Shamino 2500, an ugly stick with a brownings 1050, 2 new lures, 2 rod holders and 2 spools of crystal 4lb. Let's say about $900 down the river.

This is not the exact rapid, I'm too pizzed to down load camera.

Let's hope I got them covered with insurance [img size=461]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/12-afb4f59632214bdc4ca31a2f96507d2f.JPG

post-118-14459848111_thumb.jpg

damn rapids lol Thats why i take one cheap out fit on the yak incase that ever happens..do you have a snorkle and flipper set? maybe you can recover the reels even though the rods more then likely snapped..i have always looked at the albert thinking about a yak n fish in there , is there a good population of bass in there?

Thanks for the well wishes guys. Na I didn't get hurt, only a broken heart. It was a funny helpless surreal feeling, a bit like watching my favourite surfboard getting smashed up on the rocks, nothing I could do except wave goodbye as the overturned yak floated down stream.

BTW after a short search we stayed and played in the rapids for about half an hour. Finding them down stream was not realy an option.

I going to assist the economy this arvo before wife sees the hole in the rod rack. ;)

Yeah Jords, I know, but that's cause I'm an old fat guy trying to be young and have fun. But I should have been at work not playing in the river. THing is , I won't learn and it won't stop me. You can't keep a good chilly d down.:woohoo:

BTW2 insurrance said "we're busy now, ring back later". :unsure: [img size=461]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/123.JPG

Oceandonkey wrote:

I know it would annoying as hell but is it possible to have 1m of line tied to your yak and the other end to the base of the rod?

Long enough to cast, yet not so long to get muddled up in your paddeling etc. Its a pain but at least you wont loose your setup.

that's a pretty good idea, i'm gonna do that, maybe a bit shorter than a metre though, probably don't need it that long.

dave

the rod leashes are available off the shelf for around $20. A clip, some slinky cord and 2 velcro straps that go above and below the reel mount. I always put the rods away in the hull and strap everything else down on surf launches or rapids.

Yeah, and i only take the cheaper rods when theres a chance things could get ugly.;)

Have fun with the shopping Brian, Hope you qualified for K Rudds xmas bonus.....I think I'm the only one in Qld that missed out:(

tomca wrote:

the rod leashes are available off the shelf for around $20. A clip, some slinky cord and 2 velcro straps that go above and below the reel mount. I always put the rods away in the hull and strap everything else down on surf launches or rapids.

Yeah, and i only take the cheaper rods when theres a chance things could get ugly.;)

Have fun with the shopping Brian, Hope you qualified for K Rudds xmas bonus.....I think I'm the only one in Qld that missed out:(

trust me, you weren't the only one

Update, My son now has torn rib cartledge and a ruptured ulscer from laughing at me for the last 2 days.

My wife can't kiss me because she has a strained jaw from trying not to laugh.

My youngest daughter is taking a CD down to my other daughter who lives in Melbourne, just to show her how funny it is to watch an old fat guy bounch accross the rocks in his local river.

There is a new pool game at home called "dad's barrel roll". It is simple to play, sit on the airbed, roll it over and flap around like a lunatic. I'm the only one that doesn't find it funny.

But I am going to spend half their inhertiance on re stocking the rod rack. Now who's laughing.

Archived