Sharking Social Kookaburra Park - 31st Jan-1st Feb

Angus

Hey everyone.

Im going to host a sharking social on the 31st of Jan to the 1st of Feb.

There are a couple of reasons for this.

Firstly we might as well have a good event up Kookaburra Park way before the end of the season!

Secondly a group doing a Doco for Animal Planet has asked for assitance in getting some footage of bull sharks up river. Obviously the more people there the more chance we have of some good footage.

I plan on making this a good weekender kicking off early morning Saturday and ending with a BBQ sunday midday.

There will be some token prizes for:

* The Largest Bull Shark Caught: A Jarvis Walker Reel and Mongrel Heavy Boat Rod set up.

* The most helpful angler in getting good footage!: A tsunami gimble belt so you can move on the bigger fellas :)

* There will also be some good sportmanship type prizes for helping out consisting mainly of AFO merchadise.

Let me know if you would be interested in this event.

No cost except maybe a gold coin donation for a BBQ.

I would need some people to help out over the course of the weekend, for example allowing camera guys to deckie etc. Any and all help much appreciated.

Thanks!

Angus

AFO Sharking Social Final Details

Hey everyone. As discussed this is a fairly laid back affair. A social not an event so to speak.

With that in mind you can commence fishing anytime you want on friday night or Saturday.

Let all meet up at the Park next to the boat ramp at 2:30pm for a BYO BBQ and yarn swapping session. Photo entries and physical entries for those keeping their flake for a feed can be made to me there and some token prizes will be awarded.

I will also bring along some additional AFO merchandise if anyone would like some. (Please PM me if there is something Specific you would like so I can make sure its put aside).

Then for those keeno's we can settle in for an evening session and have some further fun.

Cheers guys!!

Angus

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

rayke1938 wrote:

I will be there. How about we also invite Doug Murray from brisbane extra alsong also as a follow up from his story on the classic?

Cheers

Ray

I could try. But the reason he came friday last time was because he didnt do weekends.

The film crew are coming all the way from England for this by the way! So lets put our game faces on!

Angus

Will land based work? I can go for a couple of hours on the Saturday night but would be land based (i hear the beach to the left of the ramp is good?)

I am interested in seeing one caught, do they bight early evening, all the time or just late at night? I guess the tide will have a big impact too as it would take more shark bait up stream.

I will keep checking back for more info

TerryH wrote:

Liquor Box: It's not boat based. They are after a landbased shark.

Angus I'll send you a PM soon about this.

Terry they are probably keen to get some big shark footage. But I have been told that ANY footage will be good as a back up.

Plus this should be a good event regardless :)

Angus

Oh and by the way, although im sure there will be some decjie spots offered, this place is good for land based sharking.

Ill be fishing it in my kayak as I have wanted to get a bully there for ages. I think Terry will be yakking it as well so bring on the yaks (although we will be no logistical use as far as helping the camera teams etc).

Angus

trwarren83 wrote:

do you rekkon we would get away with rolling a swag out next to the rods in the park?
mate so long as you have a line in the water and not making to much noise at midnight , the police will leave you alone ,so rolling a swag out is fine as im sure the cops dont want you driving fatigued !!;) I think i can head out for this one sounds like a good social to put a real face to the shark orientated fishing members from AFO, just remember that the parking for the trailers can get very crowded at the ramp on the weekends with the skiers , but they usually clear out by 5pm and usually dont launch til about 9 in the morning,, and there is a huge stretch of river limited to 6 knots for the yakkers . and there is plenty of land based spots spread over a good distance.. If you want i can supply some the landbased anglers with live boney bream , i usually end up with heaps and throw heaps back , maybe someone can supply a big 200L plastic drum that i can keep topping up with live bait through the trip, that way any one can come up with a bucket and grab what you need!! I also get a fair few mullet so there will be a mixture!!! there is toilets , BBQs and a small playground for children if they lose interest in the sharking , should be a good venue for a social!!!:fishing:

i might just tag along behind you and suss out the good spots for castnetting wes, i'm within driveable distance to kooka at indro and if its as good as everyone says i might head up the river more instead of down it for my sharks ;D

either way it looks like its shaping up to be a good outing!

nadders wrote:

i might just tag along behind you and suss out the good spots for castnetting wes, i'm within driveable distance to kooka at indro and if its as good as everyone says i might head up the river more instead of down it for my sharks ;D

either way it looks like its shaping up to be a good outing!

yeah i can show a few snag free spots that work well , well they are good cause i still have my 12ft top pockat after 3 years of netting out there!! i strictly stick to certain spots , after losing about 5 cast nets in 1 year:( !! learnt real quick where to cast lol:lol:

either spin or overhead combo around the 6kg line class would do the job ,a baitrunner style reel makes it alot easier , so you can let the sharks take a good run with the bait before engaing into action!! doesnt have to be expensive , bcf or Amart allsports have some cheaper baitrunner versions made by okuma endurance baitfeeder retail for around 50 bucks for the reel.

Ill actually be using my 4000 size Twin Power and 20lb line. In my defence for the heavier line. Ill be fishing in a kayak and want to stop them quicker as opposed to getting towed around. At least ill be able to put a bit of hurt on.

As for traces ill be making my own so they nice and long.

I have heard the mustad penatrator hooks are really good for sharks and increase the hook up on tentative bites.

I also like Mustad Big Gun hooks in about size 8/0 for little bullies. Size 8/0 fits in a bony bream nicely.

Cheers.

Angus

i just use the twist and melt nylon coated wire and make the traces up my self, i know some people use the pre made trace with a snap one end and a swivel the other usually 30cm trace i think, you can use them just make sure you got at least 60lb mono leader for about 1-1.2mtr..

This look like a must go event for me .Hope i can make it.

Bri The Pom (and anyone else getting lots of bites and few hook ups) i will throw in some info that helped me positively hook up to more sharks after missing many when first starting out. Sharp hooks are a must as sharks have tough skin. For light line 20lb or less i see a lot of young blokes on jetties and land based using heavy hooks and trace more suited to 50lb plus gear. Try to get hold of the gamakatsu salt water fly hooks (big game)10/0 they are a nice open j patern hook which helps to get around the sharks jaw and through the skin and because they are relatively thin for their size they set quite easily even on light line. Since changing to them a few years back the amount of skarks i miss after getting a bite has greatly reduced. In saying that these hooks will straighten on heavier gear so they are only good for light line. What ever hooks you use please make sure they are not stainless steel for any type of fishing as they will take too long to rust through in the event of a bust off reducing the survival chances of the fish.

Hope my waffling on helped someone.

Kind Regards Mick.

Archived