Saratoga Session - 10th Jan 2009

Angus

Well it was a good day.

Andrew Boyd (Boydy), Tom Fraser and myself arrived at around 7:30am and we were a little worried. When Boydy was up there last time it was quite humid and warm. TOday up there it was quite cold with a bit of rain and we hoped in earnest this would not put the fish off.

This concern was quickly eradicated as only 2 minutes on the water I was on, and then again 2 minutes later! These first two fish were my biggest for the day (about 75-80cm) so needless to say I was chuffed! I didnt get photo's of these but Tom got some good ones on his big fancy camera and I will post as soon as he emails to me.

Not long after Fraser was on to yet another nice fish. From here on in it gets a little fuzzy for me. It seemed there was always some action happening. I was using my 1000 size Twin Power with 2lb Crystal (thanks again for the set up ando it proved itself today!!), and 6 LB mono leader so each fight was decent one!

The total score was:

Angus: 8 Saratoga. 7 on plastics and 1 on a popper. 5 Dropped fish and 1 bust off :(.

Fraser: 2 Saratoga lots of drops.

Boydy: 2 Saratoga lots of drops.

Awesome awesome awesome.

Afterwards we went up and visited the owner Pete. The property is a fully working EMu farm and we got the grand tour which was actually really cool. Turns out the reason no locals poach his fish is the Emu's would rip them to shreds! Dont get out to pee on the bank was advice he had failed to give us. On each occasion we attempted to get out (except at the launch area which is gated) we were quickly sorrounded and forced back to the water by Emu's! Very dude wheres my car. Anyone yakkers might need their offshore gatorade bottles here afterall :P

After the tour we were treated to a big BBQ (also of emu products :) ).

Cheers again Boydy for setting it up.

GOod fishing with you guys and hope to do it again soon.

Below are come pictures.

I have a whole bunch more coming from Fraser and Boydy later on.

Cheers.

Angus

Fraser with his first.

[img size=400]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/1-085b460fb66629dd6be5a1430a221ba0.jpg

post-63-14459848252_thumb.jpg

The emus just want a feed. Would never have thought of Maleny as suitable for an emu farm, wet summers and cold winters not exactly their natural habitat!

Personally I reckon Emu meat tastes like train oil, so your a brave man having a feed of it!

Nice Toga. I reckon you must of just about hooked every one in there by now (at least once), 6 hectares wouldn't support to many more Toga!

Thanks for the comments guys! It really was my best session for ages.

Im looking forward to getting my pics from Fraser as he got the shots of my bigger fish. The ones pictured in the two of me so far would be small to medium for the dam.

Feral: Mate there are a LOT more than that. You can see swirles etc everywhere. Its a funny shaped dam so the eyes could deceive, it could be a lot more than 6 hectares. Plus there is cover, stumps, lillypads etc everywhere. Plenty to hide.

They have also stocked silver perch and are about to stock Mary River Cod.

Cheers.

Angus

hero_man wrote:

those togies are good chewin

last time I had to stop fishing because I was over the bag limit.

knocked a few fillets off em and went home a happy man.

good post

cheers

I have always been under the impression that they taste as old as what they look, prehistoric!!!

Gus is it a private dam or can anyone fish it mate?

Cheers

Heath

hero_man wrote:

those togies are good chewin

last time I had to stop fishing because I was over the bag limit.

knocked a few fillets off em and went home a happy man.

good post

cheers

No all fish released unharmed. Apparantly Toga are terrible eating but each to their own.

In any chase tasty or not in small impoundment like this (and for Saratoga anyway) I would release.

There are plenty of carp in the Albert if your atfter a tasty feed.

Beefa: Private mate, but may be able to organise a restricted access day for some AFO yakkers. Ill keep everyone posted.

Cheers.

Angus

Now that's how to do it. Never caught a Toga before then your 1st Toga at 75 which is good enough to call a PB for the rest of your life until you caught your 2 Toga minutes later at 80. You can retire from Togo fishing now!

I happy for you mate, you were overdue for a outing like that, it's about time for you to have a shot and bring it home.

Now who do I have to sleep with to get a go myself.

It looks like a magical waterhole. You sure that guys wants to persit with the Emus? Maybe he should digress to fishing charters

ellicat wrote:

Angus wrote:
I just got a wad of new photo's through from Fraser including some really awesome ones!

Ill resize and post some more tonight.

Cheers.

Angus

Waiting....waiting....:P

Yes yes I got home a lot later last night than expected. I will resize tonight and get them up.

Angus

Archived