aquarium passage

jeff f

Used to fish this all the time when I was a kid. Dunno what the access to it is like these days, but there used to be a caravan park about halfway along it, with a boat ramp, and reasonable access to a (loose) rock wall which runs along there. Used to get bream there.

Used to be alive with rats though, if the fishing was slow we would amuse ourselves chucking rocks at the rats scurrying in and out of the rocks.

Got some undersize bream from the wall at the mouth of the passage on the power station side during the classic, so would assume that the wall near the caravan park should be ok still.

We used to take an 8 foot sabot out there at night and row up and down fishing for catties, got a few muddies in there as well. On a calm night we would go down to the sunken wall.

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/12/31 12:00

Have fished off the bridge that crosses it and have caught bream, rays and some big moses perch, have looked for other land based sites on Gibson island but access is pretty limited due to steep banks and mangroves. Would be good in a boat though I reckon and every man and his dog seem to have pots in there

Used to be a good bream spot off the tip or the upstream

point at entrance of river also jew in hole at mouth. The land based access to the point was closed off years ago when they built the fertilizer works there.Never used to eat anything out of it due to pollution from bacon works,tannery and other nasty factories who used to dump everything into water. When I was there during classic most ot the shore based walls appeared to be fenced off. The ramp used to be a real mongrell with a dogleg and large sections missing but that should be fixed now.The ramp is still shown in the latest UBD at the end of Aquarium Avenue. It would be probably feasable to fish from the ramp and also from Morris marina which is what Feral called the caravan park,

Ray

Archived