Brisbane Bay Tours 20.02.2009

benno573

Hi all,

I decided it was time to do a couple of things – 1 have a day off work and 2 use the Brisbane Bay Tour charter I won at the BRC in December before the EPA stuffs the whole situation in 11 days time! So this saw Sparksie, his mate Oscar and Oscar’s mate Phillipe and I heading out of the marina at 5am.

Headed outside, weather was looking good. Jigged some livies – slimies and bonito – and headed to a couple of spots. Action was a bit slow so the call was made to head wider and fish 80-85m of water. Pretty well straight away the action was on. On the first drop I boated a squire which made the esky, next to arrive were a couple of nice kingies around 2.5-3kg (one legal sized one dropped overboard by Danny when measuring it… oh well!). Phillipe was stoked when he pulled up a trag jew of about 5kg, followed by me with a 4.9kg amberjack which really stretched the arms! They go dam hard!

I could go into heaps of detail but it will get very long… there was only 2 drifts where a fish was not hooked, we all got bricked and/or busted up at some stage. There was a memorable double hookup guest starring me and sparksie, a few tangles, a few carlsbergs (well for me and sparksie anyway, who says it is wrong to drink at 8am?) and four very happy blokes + the skipper. Total catch went about 30kg all up.

Thanks to Danny from Brisbane Bay Tours – he is a deadest professional operator and worked hard all day to keep our rods bent and even took over from Oscar when he was struggling with what turned out to be an AJ and handed the rod back as soon as the reef was out of the game. He loves having fish in the boat as much as the crew! Also must make a mention of the fact that this trip was a donation to AFO… get out there and support our sponsors!

Looking forward to the next trip out. If Sparksie brings the beer again he is welcome to join me… :P

Cheers,

Benno <’>-<

Photos to follow…. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/BBT1.jpg

post-2244-144598485846_thumb.jpg

Cowfish13 wrote:

Looks like that "refreshment required for filleting" ran out before the filliting began:D:D

Sounds like a good trip!

there was plenty more where he came from though mate... ;) that was was more the refreshment while thinking about filleting them all.

and booty - i think you missed the point a bit but oh well... :silly:

Had some AJ, trag and squire for dinner last night... it was all good!:woohoo:

maxi wrote:

great trip ben and sparksie... those aj's look great..

8 am beers eh ??? i remember a day like that with you mate :P

i try and forget the same day for reasons well outside of yours and dusky's company but we won't go into that...:angry: nothing like a beer breakfast and good fishing. have finally finished all the fish tonight! will be perfectly happy to not eat fish for another week or so! looking forward to getting out there again with BBT and cleaning up a few more!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Benno. Its the skipper talking. Nice write up and some good pics. Despite some pain from my back I had a great day as well. That fish of yours I dropped over the side was to small anyway. My business partner and I fished that same spot about a week later and we cleaned up with a very big bag of snapper, Aj,s, trag and some nice kingies. I got the best of the day a really good kingie. and bees ??? under a metre long which I jigged up on the shimano jig stick and the speheros. Mate 80 pound braid with the drag locked up and my thumb also working I was absolutely stuffed when it hit the deck. Anyway thanks for the day.

finally the ever illusive Danny has made his first post... :woohoo: welcome aboard skipper, hopefully we'll see some more posts soon.

sounds like you had another great day out there too Danny, wish i'd been there for that one too!

and teckee7 the cost for a full day charter is $175 - AFO special price. boat takes 4 people and danny will try his absolute best to put you onto the fish! all bait and gear provided, however, you are welcome to bring your own if you feel the need.

Archived