Anyone gunna flog a green zone this weekend?

Feral

I haven't found anything on the EPA site about how they'll mark the zones out. I also haven't found any plans for giving the marine park back, surely that must be part of the plan? Does anyone know if there are plans to trim the green zones back, based on fish density or water quality reaching set points?

It just seems a bit silly to 'save' the bay for the future if there's no point in time where the bay will be able to be used.

darkhonour wrote:

I haven't found anything on the EPA site about how they'll mark the zones out. I also haven't found any plans for giving the marine park back, surely that must be part of the plan? Does anyone know if there are plans to trim the green zones back, based on fish density or water quality reaching set points?

It just seems a bit silly to 'save' the bay for the future if there's no point in time where the bay will be able to be used.

I was living in Broad Sound (between Rocky and Mackay) when the green zones were introduced there. The amount of Moreton Bay that is about to be taken is nothing compared to what was taken in Broad Sound. They literally took the best 50% of the bay! The feedback I got at the time was that it was never to be opened again.

I lived on the very edge of the zone and my fishing actually improved! Mind you, the area that they took there were areas that were prevously heavily worked by commercial netters. Seems that commercial fisherman havent been too badly inconvenienced in Moreton Bay.

I'm betting that there's more green zones coming.........

Rocket75 wrote:

how are you going to know if an area is "green" when it comes in?

Are they sign posted / marked or are we expected to know?

Easy Rocket, the nice man from the DPI will tell you just before you get your fine!

Seriously - They have published maps and GPS co-ords. They are also supposed to be posting signs where possible, I have seen the new signs on the South Pine River, look like little yellow bus stop signs that you can read from about 10 foot. Flat out even seeing the sign from the middle of the river.

My opinion is they will never open them up again, they are lost.

The greenies have got their way and now will try to expand the green areas by turning blue into green.Be careful this weekend cos the fisheries blokes will be out in force.The marine park user guide lists GPS marks for all areas but if you haven't

got a Gps they will say "stiff" ,no excuse!!!The only chance we have of doing something about this is on March 21, ask your local candidates what they will do about it. We've lost one of the best spots for snapper &bream in safe waters off Scotts Point and Bramble Bay for whiting & prawns. "Bugger".:(

Hi Wallfly

Gary Howard expressed those same points about Scotts Point....good spot - gone. :angry:

I emailed EPA and all I got back, by postal mail was a map of the green zones...same as PDF on the website.

Be buggered if I'm gonna buy a GPS just for these new zones.

I reckon Scotts Point is green zone out to about 500 metres offshore (using there scale on the map etc.), if your on the edge of the zone, how are you going to know if your fishing in the wrong spot or right spot?

I was planning on a live bait night session this week in Nundah Creek, as I'm busy this weekend. Have never caught a Jack and was determined to nail one out of Nundah before it was forbidden.

But having looked at Nundah over the last couple weeks, the only thing I'll pull on live bait out of there is catfish and pike eels. Saw a guy the other day fishing the ramp at the mouth for obviously bullies and all he was getting was pike eels. There is that much fresh in the two creeks it's like chocolate and even Bramble Bay has it's certain tinge.

Guess I'll just have to let it go, 'cause two jacks were caught off the Shorncliffe pier nearly a month ago and the only thing I can think they were doing out there is evade an influx of dirty, fresh water flushing them out of the creeks.

Good luck to all those giving these spots their final go!

This is why it is imperative that we unite together with the help of groups like SOBA and show that we are a force to be taken notice of as plans are afoot to steal more of the bay from rec fishers. With no plans to stop development or land reclamation or sedement run off. Show the Blah goverment that you are not impressed by useing your vote to oust the labour (green) party

Ah I wish I was fishing this weekend but couldn't get over to Moreton to fish my favourite spot. Devastating!

The only 2 green zones I objected to were on Moreton (said I wanted them to be yellow), and I'm pretty sure they both got EXTENDED! I know one did at least and I'm faiiiirly sure the other has been increased a bit. Goes to show how much they care about your opinion.

Joel ;)

Archived