electrolysis on Aluminium boat

rexy

its a common thing since most ally boats are painted without a primer. they just etch them then paint.its a money and time saveing thing boat builders do ,there out to make money not give a paint job that last 30 years.

sand them back with some 80 then finish off with 180 then etch the rub over with 240 or a light pad and paint .

i just spend today rubbing and preping a 19 foot profish. its my dads boat bro and me cleaning it up and repainting it for his b day.bro is a panel beater/panter,and i was a ta in that trade 15 years ago.

electrolysis in a simple term is two different metals reacting with one another , the weaker/softer metal will always corrode away first , rubber or silastic between any aftermarket fitting will slow it by not having the two metals touching .

also dissconect the positive terminal or install a battery switch to stop any residual current from the battery thru the motor mounts .

positive charge kits like in 4wd's ( similar to the sacrifical anode on the leg of most outboards ) work to a extent but take one off the car and watch how quick rust appears after having one on there for a while

i think from memory brass is the only metal that doesnt react with alloy . ( i think :( )

about u can do it clean it up repaint it then put the stuff noname said or silastic between all the nuts and bolts ,screws ,fittings etc that will slow it down.

u got 2 different metals reacting with one another plus salt water in the mix .there is going to be electrolysis and corrosion.

notice there is always less on non painted ally boats .no where for the salt water to be trapped.

Archived