Traces or leaders

Dazzamcgee

Hey Dazz

You should hear what I call em when they break or give way.:angry: :sick: :S :pinch:

Although one of my uni knots gave way at Baroon a couple weeks ago and I lost a good fish and a spinner bait lure. :blush: Should have heard what I said to myself. Made Ferg blush.

It's a bit of deep question.

Sharks I use wire 120lbs down to 40lb often with stingers at aboutthe 80lb.

Flicking pLastics and lures I use flurocarbon around 10-14lb tied with a bimini loop and cats paw or uni knot.

Trolling in summer I use self made braided flurocarbon 30lb double braided and doubled again. Similar to Troys leaders.

Trolling in winter I use straight fluor at 30lb.

Whiting bream and flatties I use 6lb flurocarbon.

I never use straigh braid or normal mono as a leader. Never Never Never.

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2007/01/12 11:21

This is the definition i tend to apply when discussing Leader and Traces.

Leader: Line tied straight onto another line. I.E. Nothing connecting the lines except for a knot. Used mostly for tying Mono leader onto braided main line.

Traces: Something connected to main line by a swivel or other such appratus. Or a wire trace. I have never heard the term \"Wire Leader\". Used most often to attach wire or super heavu mono to lines when targeting \"Big Fellas\".

This is not dictionary. Just makes sense to me.

Angus

Thanks for ya help guy's!!!

nice choice ando_04 might have to get meself sum of that just checked it out on the web looks good.

I did use suffix brand before but found it just snaps to ezy and has no stretch.

what is the real differance between mono and fluro line?

Post edited by: dazzamcgee, at: 2007/01/12 12:06

one difference is that fluro line is virtually invisible in the water, unlike mono which can be easily seen.

so the idea is that you use flurocarbon leader, and the fish just see your lure, with 'no strings attached'!

my god that sounded corny.

Post edited by: TerryH, at: 2007/01/12 14:51

dazzamcgee wrote:

Thanks for ya help guy's!!!

nice choice ando_04 might have to get meself sum of that just checked it out on the web looks good.

I did use suffix brand before but found it just snaps to ezy and has no stretch.

what is the real differance between mono and fluro line?<br><br>Post edited by: dazzamcgee, at: 2007/01/12 12:06

yeh mate like terry said fluro you cant see under the water.

yeh the suffix its pritty shitty must i say its good to have stretch in the line so you dont pull hooks on fish

jeff f wrote:

has anyone out there ever tried harros knotted dogs they are hard to get but they are great i had the same one attached to my baitcaster for ages till i lost it

Jeff they used some ofthatstyle on that DVD saw the other night - I think you are referring to the braid leaders and braid wraps instead of split rings??

dazzamcgee wrote:

What is the real differance between mono and fluro line?<br><br>Post edited by: dazzamcgee, at: 2007/01/12 12:06

Fluorocarbon line has a density closer to the density of water then Monofilament does. Making it more similar to water then Monofilament, if that makes sense?

Fluorocarbon reflects minimal light that hits the line once the line is under the water. Also it lets more light pass through it unlike Monofilament which reflects far more light making it more visible.

Fluorocarbon is not always necessary in dirty or deep water or if you're fishing at night. Though it's always good to have an edge over the fish so I still use it as it has a higher abrasion resistance then monofilament does.

Remember there's a difference between Fluorocarbon Leader and Fluorocarbon Line. Fluorocarbon Leader is far more expensive. i.e. 200m of 8lb Siglon Fluorocarbon Line will set you back around $13-14. 30m of 8lb Siglon Fluorocarbon Leader will set you back around $10-15 depending on which leader you purchase.

Fluorocarbon Leader has a much thicker outer layer then Fluorocarbon Line does. Making Fluorocarbon Leader even more abrasion resistant then Fluorocarbon Line which is more abrasion resistant then Monofilament.

If your not confused I hope this helps,

Troy

Brian D wrote:

jeff f wrote:
has anyone out there ever tried harros knotted dogs they are hard to get but they are great i had the same one attached to my baitcaster for ages till i lost it

Jeff they used some ofthatstyle on that DVD saw the other night - I think you are referring to the braid leaders and braid wraps instead of split rings??

not quite brian these are twisted flurocarbon loops about 2meters long you can check them out by following the links to harros web site from ausfish or google rod harrison

Archived