Best Brand Of Rods?

plugga

ok this topic all depends on what your fishing for and what your willing to spend some of the top brands of rods are as follows:

shimano t curves

g loomis

samurai reaction

megabass

smith

these rod brands are all expensive with the cheapest rod out of these being around 300 then ranging up to 1000+++

No such thing really. Its like all product lines, most brands cover a range, in that range once you get past a certain price, you do get improvement, but also a huge hike in costs. For top end live and breathe fishing types, the extra dough is worth the big amount of extra bucks. For the average Joe fisherman, there is really no need to go past the mid range in the "top" brands.

For those of us who have not won lotto, we might aspire to a top end rod or two, but mostly a few hundred bucks is the max sort of money we would be looking at for a new rod.

I had a loomis, best rod I ever had, but I smashed it to pieces getting it caught in a mangrove tree while landing, these days I have one Egrell, the rest of my rods are pluegers etc.

You will get a good for $120, but you will have to wait for one to be on special. A Lot of people like raiders, on special they get down around that sort of loot. As Do drop shots and Pflueger Trions. Also nice rods.

fishinking wrote:

you wont be able to get any top end rod for 120 but for 130 i can recommend a berkley dropshot series 2 im7. they are great rods.

cheers

drop shot is less then 120. average ive seen is between 80-110. but yeah there really is now "best brand" as it comes to personal preference, what you intend to use the rod for etc.

namyau wrote:

fishinking wrote:
you wont be able to get any top end rod for 120 but for 130 i can recommend a berkley dropshot series 2 im7. they are great rods.

cheers

drop shot is less then 120. average ive seen is between 80-110. but yeah there really is now "best brand" as it comes to personal preference, what you intend to use the rod for etc.

namyau, there is about 20 different types of berkley dropshot and the one i have stated the series two im7 1 piece, is 130$

The best rods are tailor made to suit you. Be prepared for big bucks.

I agree with what others have said. There are plenty of quality rods in the $100-$200 range. Beyond that you go past the point of diminishing returns. i.e. 100% increase in price for a 10% increase in performance.

If you want to strech it to around $270 Nitro rods are great with a really handy no questions asked $60 replacement deal for any accidents.

personally i have some big dollar rods, wont use them much because of the fact some of them have broken due to fish, the best value for your buck has got to be the live fibre range.they just do everything that a rod was made to do. take the labels off the rods and i think it would be a different story.

still like the old uglysticks for bait fishing:P

and any of the brand name graphite rods round the $120 mark will do just as good as the expensive ones for most fishos for lure and plastics fishing

i think most of the top end rods are way too delicate for general use and are nothing but a sad and expensive experience when you break them.:(

beautifull to use but way to easy to break:S

depends on if you are bait fishing or flicking lures , i have a shimano taipan 7ft snapper rod that has caught me 20kg longtail , 17kg barra , 18 kg threadfin and few big bullies on it and im very happy with it , it is suited to bait fishing as its a fibreglass rod and is a lil flexi in the tip but tough as towards the lower eyelet.. i picked this rod up for $40 from amart on one of their sales....for flicking lures i have a shimano sonic pro 2-5kg cost me $29 at bcf on sale and it has caught heaps of bass and yellow belly and is a great lil rod which i cant fault for flicking lures its light and i can use it all day long flicking.... it all comes down to what your prepared to spend and style of fishing... im a budget fisherman so i dont spend to much on the rods and the reels i have all have enough bearings to be a comfortable reels that are smooth!!!

Speaking from experience in sports vastly more expensive than fishing (factoring out boats...), the thing with "the best" is that there is and always will be "better"....

There's always going to be a higher spec, limited edition of something over and above the 'top of the (catalogue) range' that you have bought.

As others have mentioned above, price isn't necessarily everything, but can be used a decent litmus as to the quality of the core materials being used.

Cheaper rods obviously means lower quality reel seats, grips, guides etc. If you want longevity and/or fish your gear hard, then this is going to be a problem for you.

But as others have also alluded to, often the super-expensive stuff can be relatively fragile, so hard fishing types may want to steer clear of that end of the range as well.

The key, as it is with purchasing pretty much anything in life, is buy the best your budget will allow, never pay full retail price (yes, you really CAN wait until a sale pops up), and try and combine purchases and dont be afraid to ask for a discount or a deal sweetener to be thrown in when you do.

You'll be surprised how obliging small retailers can be, all you have to do is ask !

They can only say no........no big deal...

I have a berkley dropshot 6'6" 6-10kg barra spin spooled with 6kg. I like it cause it has cork handles and there cheap. think i paid $60 for it from charltons last year.The rod is good for flicking sps. surface lures etc. The rod responds well to little gar fish and bass on sps down at mt crosby its also the same rod i'll take for live baiting for bull sharks. The rod is about 8mm thick down near the cork grip.Suprisingly this rod has a heap guts for lifting and turning fish aswell as some sensitivity in the tip.

i have a few rods and reels now .enough to cover everything bar deep sea.rods all under 100$ same with the reels.i'm a budget shopper i don't like spending a lot.i look for sales ,special, old stock etc,and i think i get good buys.something i buy for 65 $ full retail would normally be 150$.

all the gear works ok for me no probs so far,and the kids can use it ,if they stuff it i'm not going to blow a fuse cause it was cheap.

Archived