ECO Park 24th april 09

shortie

I got a phone call this morning from Kriso confirming that i was coming. He was on his way to pickup Angus then head off.

I got gear ready, lure box camera and a drink.

And set off.

Half way there i realised that the rod i was taking was still sitting in my living room. DAM.

Turned around to get the Rod. The whole time thinking the guys would be on a hot session before i got there. I was getting angry. Then i realised hey it was only Angus and Kriso, how many fish could those 2 catch anyway. :P

Got to the park.

Location Address

Contact Details

Corner Halls Rd & Beaudesert - Beenleigh Rd

Luscombe Queensland, 4207

I was ready for business.

When you see the glory wall of pics in the foyer you get a bit excited. [img size=640]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/IMG_0407__640x480_.jpg

post-1851-144598490908_thumb.jpg

The staff were very helpful. Got the speil and the directions on what ponds held witch fish.

Headed towards Angus and Kriso only to find that also had fisherman X with them as well.

I first sited Angus only to see. [img size=320]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/IMG_0386__640x480_.jpg

Him with his first barcoo of the day.

post-1851-144598490913_thumb.jpg

The fish in this pond were very plentiful. Literally 100's of them. Up to 48cm.

biggest we got between us was 40cm.

We then hit the silver perch pond to try our luck. This fish were also in big numbers. We also managed3 small spangled perch from this pond.

Then the fun began, we headed to the sooty pond in search of a species none of us had caught before.

Both Angus and myself were rewarded.

Next was Barra pond. Angus nailed a small Barra.

Now this park was very pretty. Beautifully landscaped and maintained grounds and gardens. Really a top spot to bring the family.

The staff were helpful and lessons on how to fish are included in the entry price.

Also lessons on fly fishing.

I will be back. Next time i will have the family with me.

GOod times good times.

The Barcoo are fun, but the 30cm Sooty I caught fought far harder than the biggest Barcoo caught.

I think when I go back ill be targeting the Sooty's a lot more!

Awesome day.

I fully plan to organise a AFO social here. Great BBQ's and great lay out.

Looking forward to when they grow those Barra a bit as well :)

Looking forward to the rest of the pictures.

Angus

shortie wrote:

Cool. I reckon that was the fish of the day. I caught a smaller one but it did not nearly have the awesome colour this one had.

Another awesome fish was a massive Barcoo that had amazing colours. I think there are pictures of it coming.

Angus

Feral wrote:

Sure some of those Barcoo's? Some look like sleepy cod to me.

Yeah mate. 100% Barcoo's or Jade Perch is their other name.

If you are referring to the photo of them on the mat its taken at a bad angle. They are not that skinny at all. In fact that are a very deep plate shaped fish generally. The bigger ones get a big scooped forehead like a bigger yella as well.

Angus

Funny story as well.

The bloke that was helping us out today was called James. Top bloke and very helpful giving us some tips on some Sooty techniques which paid off.

Anyway on the way home Kriso and I stopped by Tackle Warehouse and had a yard to Peter. Guess what, Peter is James's brother.

Small bloody world.

Angus

EMP wrote:

Looks like an awesome place.

I believe this is the spot as aliens from outer space would see it: [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Capture.JPG

EMP the fishing park is actually the ponds in the top right of that picture.

Those other more numerous loagoons are a hatchery for fresh water native fish.

The fishing park does buy the manjority of thier fingerlings from them.

Angus

Angus wrote:

EMP wrote:
Looks like an awesome place.

I believe this is the spot as aliens from outer space would see it: [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Capture.JPG

EMP the fishing park is actually the ponds in the top right of that picture.

Those other more numerous loagoons are a hatchery for fresh water native fish.

The fishing park does buy the manjority of thier fingerlings from them.

Angus

your thoughts on this question??

your fish at home are restricted to the size they grow to because of the size of the tank they are in!

some of those ponds look pretty small compared to the hatchery ponds?

are there actually big fish there? not to be mistaken for very agressive fish feeding?

looks very easily over fished, so when they stock up, are the fish spooked easily?

my experience is up there with a piece of wood! hence the questions, cheers lads for any help.

rob

tacklebox wrote:

Looks like a fun place to fish. Did kriso catch anything and who is fisherman x? :huh:

jeez tacklebox i thought ya had more faith in me! lol yeah caught a heap of barcoo and one was very decent size to very close to shorties biggun angus took a photo of it but i dont know whos camera it is on. (some one post it please! so people will believe i can actually catch a fish:P ) but it is alot nicer then bli bli and the fish bite all day long proving a great fight on bream gear with 4lb. you can sit back and live bait a spangly for a sootie or catch a barcoo as quick as you can get a pellet back in the water with some of these fish fighting well above there size. also i must say james and the staff offer fantastic service and will do what ever they can to help get you your target species for the trip. the place is clean and has nice BBQ areas and shady spots to relax when the sun is getting to you. i encourage people to give it a go atleast once, you wont be disappointed.

noname: Mate the fish grow in there. I have seen Toga and Barra outgrow their tanks so these lagoons are a lot bigger than a tank!

The lagoons are as big as the Bli bli ones and the barra get up to a meter (maybe more) in there.

There are a few Murray Cod in there close to a meter.

There are also Sooty Grunter weighing up to 10lb!

Shortie's Sooty fought bloody hard and was about 35cm and 2lb, so id love to see a 10lb fish!

The fish can be spooky, but only if you sit and flog one area. When we moved around we would always have a hot little session and then move on.

Angus

can you tell i fish fresh a bit! durrrr.

pellets, what pellets. after going to bli bli i bought 50 kilo of pellets will these do. use it as berley for the salt ;)

what lures would you have a chance of a fish with. ?? floating or otherwise??, i'm guessing surface.

rob

kriso wrote:

tacklebox wrote:
Looks like a fun place to fish. Did kriso catch anything and who is fisherman x? :huh:

jeez tacklebox i thought ya had more faith in me! lol yeah caught a heap of barcoo and one was very decent size to very close to shorties biggun angus took a photo of it but i dont know whos camera it is on. (some one post it please! so people will believe i can actually catch a fish:P

yeah we won't believe it till we see it :P jks

Archived