{SOLVED} fire line to leader

straddiebrad wrote:

sorry guys i have been looking at the old posts and cant find on how to join these two lines i know i have seen it some where but cant find it can u tell me the name that it is called i know there is a few just a good strong knot 8lb to 10lb.thanks brad

i only use the varivas knot for fireline. i find it works best when instead of a double overhand knot with the leader, make it a triple, and use at least 15 turns of the braid over the leader.

do you turn the overhand in the leader into a figure 8, then thread the braid in and out of the figure 8 before you make the wraps?

i have been reading about this "mid knot", apparently better for braid to heavy leaders. gave it a go and did a pretty ordinary job tying but it has withstood my locked drag at any rate which is something. its very very slim, even more so than the slim beauty which is good cause i've been having problems with my running swivel getting hung up on the leader section of my slim beauties. will give it a further look anyway

^^ :) it will quickly not work soon enough and it will frustrate you when you've lost a good fish. Its worth learning how to tie main braid to leader mono/flouro knots.

Slim beauty is the one I use when running more than 2 foot of leader on light lines.

nadders wrote:

do you turn the overhand in the leader into a figure 8, then thread the braid in and out of the figure 8 before you make the wraps?

i have been reading about this "mid knot", apparently better for braid to heavy leaders. gave it a go and did a pretty ordinary job tying but it has withstood my locked drag at any rate which is something. its very very slim, even more so than the slim beauty which is good cause i've been having problems with my running swivel getting hung up on the leader section of my slim beauties. will give it a further look anyway

erm... granny knot, then put the tag end back in through the loop one or two more times dependng on the thickness of the leader material.

kiara_poltegerist wrote:

erm... granny knot, then put the tag end back in through the loop one or two more times dependng on the thickness of the leader material.

i mean like.. some people pull the double or triple overhand until it twists into a figure 8, then thread the braid in one side and out the other side of the figure 8 before tightening down. its more time consuming and i have no idea if it gives any advantage lol

Archived