Those shipping containers off Moreton

That's the 3rd good idea you have had in a week.

Let the kids stay up as long as they like so they sleep all day

Go fishing and get home before they get up the next day

And get the navy to tell me where the containers are

That's enough out of you - bloody show off. I'll see what I can do.

I cant remember if the containers were hermetically sealed or not. If they are, then that is going to make a great line of structure for fish in the months to come!

If it's leaking ammonia, I thought it would keep everything away... well except for the algae

Sounds like a good excuse for a AFO challenge!! See who can be the first to find it and catch a fish :P

The 31 shipping containers that caused a massive oil spill in Moreton Bay may remain in 120m of water off Cape Moreton with trawler fishing barred. The conundrum facing authorities is whether to push for an expensive salvage operation or go for the cheaper option of leaving them and paying trawler operators to keep out of the area for several years.

The containers washed off the Pacific Adventurer on March 11, ripping open the ship's hull and causing 270 tonnes of bunker fuel to leak, creating the state's worst oil spill.

Maritime Safety Queensland general manager John Watkinson said yesterday if the ship's owner, Swire Shipping, ended up providing about $25 million for clean-up and compensation costs, he was concerned about shortfalls.

"If the cost of removing the containers added, say, a further $5 million, it would mean there would be less money to divide among those who successfully seek compensation," Capt Watkinson said.

Queensland Seafood Industry Association executive officer Winston Harris said four options had been given to fishermen - do nothing, raise the containers, push them off the edge of the continental shelf or cut them up.

"We want them raised," Mr Harris said. "They are in the middle of what has been a good prawn fishing area."

Mr Harris said his organisation had asked fishermen, seafood retailers and wholesalers who had been affected by the oil spill to apply for compensation.

Neither the QSIA nor the Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries could yesterday quantify the impact on catch if the containers remain where they are.

Capt Watkinson said the containers would be more difficult to move than first thought.

"With two knots of current down there, the containers may be buried by sand and corrode reasonably quickly," he said.

Scientists believe the containers' 620 tonnes of ammonium nitrate would largely have been diluted.

Taken from this Courier Mail Article

Archived