Soft P Gear and Prices

Angus

How much do you really think the price difference effects the rod and reel you buy. Especially for beginners like myself to the world of SP's.

I could have spent easily in excess of 400 bucks today on the range of SP rods and reels that the tackle warehouse had to offer. However the good salesperson instead directed me to a great Shimano Combo. Its a Shimoano Sienna and a 6'6'' Rod.

All up with enougn fire-line to spool the reel and some leader (the reel was mechanically spooled for me) it came to $115. I cant honestly tell the difference between it and some of the other gear. Im sure there may be some slight quality differenes, but for a beginner after flatties and bream does this really matter?

Anyway i was rapt and im going back tommorrow to get another of the same as my GF finds it very easy to use.

Angus.

Yeh Angus after a few uses you will probaly start to notice the reel wont be as smooth as it started out to be. I have my sedona(99$) and my silstar (80$) and its still going well. My brother had a slight upgrade and his reel cost $150 and his is still going at the same quality as it started out to be. We should go down to brecky to 'test' it soon. Good luck with the reel!

yeh.. like abu garcis ammbassaduer 6000... it was great to start with but even after looking after it really well since it was my first expensive reel, it lost its great feel.. and now i only use it for hardbodies and bait...

my abu t alloy plastics reel was liek that aswell... after 2 uses the drag became jerky rather then smooth... im looking to up grade to a stradic... they feel really nice and smooth, and are better quality then the t alloy i have... hopefully i will have it b4 the brekky creek comp :)

troy

Personally I treat eggbeaters as throw away items.

I buy Shimano x2000's for me and the kids, $20 a throw. Nice little reels, rear drags. I did get on X4000 for $25 for one of my surf rods for my youngest son (He is not getting access to my Alveys!), but it has not had a lot of work.

I expect them to die reasonably quickly, at which point I will buy some more. They have taken a fair hiding over the last 6 months, so far they are still as good as new, but I reckon if they die tomorrow, at $20 each thats a lot of el cheapo reels for the equivilant of a $200 reel! (5 years worth!)

I think the most important parts are the reel and line. There the only things i'd spend good money.Dont get me wrong, if i had the money id spend it on exp rods, but its the reel and line that really count when it comes down to it.

Also depends on how often you use it to!

Archived