the killing continues

Fangdangle

Saturday was another tilapia massacre.

We ended up with 27 and all above 25cm.

They are not too bad fighters on light gear.

I swapped my 10 kg. ugly stick with 20lb.

for a whippy whiting rod with really light line. Can't remember what I put on it ages ago. Heaps more fun, in my mind I was on a 50ft charter fighting reef monsters in the ocean, not in the kayak catching water toads up Tingalpa creek!

Does the fact Redlands council is spilling them into the creek without any visible fish stopping mechanisms from the dam make them responsible for introducing them to new waterways?

They would not have to travel far to get to other creeks like Hilliards, then Eprapah and so on but nothing seems to be done preventative wise.

That dam must have literally millions in an untouched population, an army waiting for big rains to commence the invasion.

To arms (or rods) people, defend your countries waterways!!!

I also got another little perchy thing, about 20cm, one native from 30. Don't like those odds.

Nice work, Fd, good on ya! I'd love to join the lynch party but need to fish from the shore as (a) no kayak :( , and (B) boat's too big to get up some of those creeks :dry: . Is it possible to get to some of these spots on foot? Been a passionate tilapia hater for years :evil: and would love the chance to help put a dent in the population. Class action against the council for their part in spreading the filthy vermin could produce new kayaks all 'round :evil: (only half joking - has anyone seriously investigated this with the EPA?).

Keep killin' em bro.

I have a spare kayak, willing to share the spot if you wanna take me on a charter to another spot or give me a locale to get to with gauranteed results.

They can be taken from the bank, but they are a little smaller and you tend to get a lot of small bream as well. Also the bank also is sporadic in its offerings, if you get it on the last few hours of a big run in tide you get some big guys.

I normally finish off on the bank and knock over a couple of little ones. I know that just my friend and I as well as a few more fihos won't do much to their population and as soon as more big rains come (we get a little more than the bigger dams) the fish will be repopulated again.

There a are a few spots down stream that are accesible from the bank, but the fish are less prolific, though still there.

I do heaps better being able to move around on the water.

My second name is Garden Gnome I always used to take the ones we caught at Lake Sampsonvale home so that I could dispose of them safely by filletting and eating. They have a sign on the bin there no fish scraps and one of the conditions of entry is no cleaning of fish on site so you have no other option but to take them home.

Lovely firm white flesh.

You can actually buy them at the fish shop at Capalaba just before Leisure Marine.

Ray

I also have a garden gnome who thinks they are very good eating. Jimmybob was just telling me last night about the 50cm ones he catches in Wyvanhoe. Crazy.

Just so you know im moving this post to Fishing Reports/All Brisbane Rivers And Creeks.

Angus

Post edited by: Angus, at: 2007/02/06 07:10

A garden gnome at my place is very fond of Tinny creek Tilapia, it prefers Tilapia to alot of native fresh species they don't have the horrible fishy fat of yellas and cod and go quite well BBq'ed with lemon, butter and garlic or so I have heard;)

Post edited by: Aaron H, at: 2007/02/06 07:16

• 3 weeks later...

Angus wrote:

I also have a garden gnome who thinks they are very good eating. Jimmybob was just telling me last night about the 50cm ones he catches in Wyvanhoe. Crazy.

Just so you know im moving this post to Fishing Reports/All Brisbane Rivers And Creeks.

Angus<br><br>Post edited by: Angus, at: 2007/02/06 07:10

hey JB, can you get tilapia over winter??? Once the sharks shy with the impending cool weather (sniff) I will have to find a new local target!

Does anyone have a pic of this fish as i have been planning on fishing tinny creek for a long time as i live down that way. Just wanna know wat they look like so i know when to grab the sawn off cricket bat! I have a bat i use when i catch eels, Was an old indoor cricket bat my mate split so i looked at it and thought it would be good for that, just cut it off above the split.

Does that mean \"I'm a garden Gnome?\"

hahahha, anyway, some asians loves it. about 5-10 years ago, use to go to northpine dam. there was plenty around. didn't catch anything except tilapias and didnt know it was illegal to bring home but we did. loved it.

anyway. parents knew what it was because they have them where im from in asia. they rather eat tilapias then breams, just because they know how to cook'em up. I dont know how but damn, it does tastes nice. very similar to bream in my opinion plus that muddy smell you get from some fresh water fishes.

Archived