report under size fish takers

maccatuna

i was fired up today when i saw some fishermen cleaning there catch of bream , whiting,and flathead almost half were under size and there were over 50 they took under the limit they couldent speak english so it was hard to explain the regulations i took down the rego and did the deed hope they learn a lesson :angry:

i heard and sort of saw the cops on the weekend nap some people that had oversized flatty from collages.

heard it form a person that was there watching ,saw the cop car and bike come in up to where the people where.

anyways some1 must have saw them at collages and called the cops.and something was done about it.

heard they had to put them back as they where still alive.

that's what i was told .

i sort of saw it all from the other side of the park ,so didn't see the fish.

i know there is some flatty's there but never seen any big ones .no where near that big.

must be over 75cm that's a big flatty.

when the person told me i said no way u mean undersized .they where sure it was oversize and reckon it was a bloody big fish they saw them with.

heard of decent fish coming out of there but all i get is 10 to 20 cm bream and catfish and gar.

anyways i was just happy to see when some1 dose something wrong .that something actually happens.

as far as i know the rangers and cops can do stuff about it too.

i can't ever remember being checked .

but i have see the fisheries boats about on the bay and the cops too.

but over quite a few year say 10 year old to 20 years old ,so 10 years.

last 16 year haven't been out on the water enough to know.landbased have been about but never checked.but there alot of ground/water to cover.

know the rules and u could be checked keep a lot of people honest .the good folk.

remember my dad tell me each time we fished /crabbed no to small and so on back it goes.

guess good education works to some extent.

i guess they do what they can ,prob under funded.

guess the could police all the boat ramps on the weekend ,then some people would whinge about getting check all the time and the hold up at the ramp and so on.

still i agree it would be good to see more being done,but something being done is better than nothing.

Davo_Dinkum wrote:

as far as i know the rangers and cops can do stuff about it too.

i can't ever remember being checked .

but i have see the fisheries boats about on the bay and the cops too.

but over quite a few year say 10 year old to 20 years old ,so 10 years.

last 16 year haven't been out on the water enough to know.landbased have been about but never checked.but there alot of ground/water to cover.

know the rules and u could be checked keep a lot of people honest .the good folk.

remember my dad tell me each time we fished /crabbed no to small and so on back it goes.

guess good education works to some extent.

i guess they do what they can ,prob under funded.

guess the could police all the boat ramps on the weekend ,then some people would whinge about getting check all the time and the hold up at the ramp and so on.

still i agree it would be good to see more being done,but something being done is better than nothing.

been past the water police lately, like 9 boats and all ot them are twin riggs,[2 motors] fitted and the smaller 1's on trailers. you can't tell me they need all that to check people's safety gear and catches, with all the electronic's and bs, but not really up to them to check catches anyway, just have the power to do so.

A good place to get a few Undersize takers would be Sandpumping Jetty, Spit.I was there last saturday night and got Fired up when some of them Put undersize Tailor in their buckets :angry:. Felt like grabing the buckets and tossing em over.. DPI would have a field day there.

maccatuna wrote:

i was fired up today when i saw some fishermen cleaning there catch of bream , whiting,and flathead almost half were under size and there were over 50 they took under the limit they couldent speak english so it was hard to explain the regulations i took down the rego and did the deed hope they learn a lesson :angry:

mate i've done a similar thing. we had a bunch of guys prawning. they would take the boat out fill their buckets then return to the bank and fill up a fridge size box then go out and do it time after time. when we got onto the fisheries they said there was nothing they could do! meanwhile i've been checked out a few times. by the cops when on the bank in ningi and by the fisheries when on the water..i doesn't bother me i always do the right thing. wonder why they have the 'seizure rules' they don't use em..in my experiences anyway..

they should have an inspector at all the major boat ramps on the busy days and check each and every boat when they come back to see their catch, they could even get those who go out and take more then the bag limit, they do it in the NT for the barramundi fishers, why not here?

yeah sounds like a good idea,but the fisheries get limited budgets and it makes it very hard for the guys to get out on a regular basis.i suggest if you do see people catching and keeping undersized or oversized fish and approach them then calmly tell them its against the law and then ring the fisheries,if they dont comply.if yas are serious about sustaining our fisheries and want make a difference and educate people why dont yas join fishcare as a voluteer,you can find more info on the dpi fishweb site..

i read a bit about fishcare on the dpi site.

education helps.

a example:

me and bro went fishing down at colmslie ,another guy there fishing too .was catching a few bream.but he wasn't sure on legal size.had my rec fishing rules booklet with me .him and i had a look and used my tape to measure the fish he was catching for the night.

anyways he kept 3 legal bream for a feed and the rest went back .

he like to fish for fun and sometimes keep a few bream for a feed ,not really interested in them for food.now he know the size for them where to get the rec fishing booklet from and to bring a measuring device with him.

education helps even if its just done in the way i did it above.

Archived