straddiebrad

I think you might find yourself in trouble somewhere with this.

According to the QLD DPI site keeping noxious fish dead or alive is illegal. I'm making the assumption that even if you mince them when you catch them and then store, they could potentially still get you.

/>http://www2.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/1553.html

Yeah there was some company a while ago that I saw on some TV special (like Extra or something) that minced up the Carp and used it as an additive to feed for farm animals and fertilizer for gardens.

I guess there are stringent laws around it though.

Take3 keeps timing out when trying to send posted message.

Down south in the Murray region Carp are harvested and processed down to a product called 'Charlie Carp Liquid Fertiliser' found on shelves at Bunnings, Nurseries, Hardware etc. As for Berley, for legal reasons I would say 'Dont bother', though I dont see an issue with it used off shore (but who listens to me lol). Dont see why you couldnt mince it down for your own fertiliser though.

I'm guessing that the problem could be the eggs which may end up back in the waterways.

When we knock them on the head out west we bury them high above the waterline.

Tilapia get the same treatment as their eggs can hatch after being out of the water a long time after the parent fish is killed. Even rain can wash them back down to the water and hey presto....more water rabbits.

People cleaning noxious fish in a sink can wash eggs down the drain and the things can hatch where they eventually settle and guess what ? more feral fish.

Noxious fish are such a big problem that the authorities don't want to take any chances.

I wouldn't use them as burley just in case.

Little Grey Men wrote:

........People cleaning noxious fish in a sink can wash eggs down the drain and the things can hatch where they eventually settle and guess what ? more feral fish.

Sorry have to call BS on this one.

There is no way on earth fish eggs will survive through the sewerage treatment process.

dhess wrote:

Little Grey Men wrote:
........People cleaning noxious fish in a sink can wash eggs down the drain and the things can hatch where they eventually settle and guess what ? more feral fish.

There is no way on earth fish eggs will survive through the sewerage treatment process.

Pretty sure my sink isn't connected to the sewerage line :unsure: Storm water doesn't get treated, so I think the point is valid. Especially so outside urbania.

dhess wrote:

Little Grey Men wrote:

Lets call it waste water then....perhaps not sink. When cleaning a fish tank it has always been advised to empty the water in the garden not down the sink, because of disease and eggs that may be present I know the waste water is treated but I suppose it's best looked upon as another precaution we can take to keep these mongrel fish under control. Just in case something odd happens.

But then again, what if you tip water on the garden containing cichlid eggs then hose the garden the next day and wash eggs into the drain.

The EPA must get nervous when some of these exotics are brought into the country even under controlled conditions hey ?

crappy water conditions are ok for the carp and tilapia to breed in.

and our water way are perfect for there breeding.

was reading about breeding carp .

the stagnant water and dirty are ok for them not perfect but the will live and breed in it. that's what they have over our native fish.they lay egg and the male fertilize them.they got sticky eggs too.

the tilapia are cichlids .need i say more.

But then again, what if you tip water on the garden containing cichlid eggs then hose the garden the next day and wash eggs into the drain.

The EPA must get nervous when some of these exotics are brought into the country even under controlled conditions hey ?

Gazza wrote:

gotta ask how often do you drown your garden that it goes to the drain ?

I've tried carp in all ways shapes and forms and it always taste's like crap :X :X best usage fertilizer but fun to catch :)

Heard Talipia are good on the chew but illegal to have in possession I would have thought encouraging ppl to eat them would help reduce their numbers ??? :blink:

Gaz

robin wrote:

Can you eat Carp

when i was a teenager we came across a mudhole dam (that was sometimes connected to the river) drying up, it had about 1 foot of water in the bottom of it and about 1000 carp of all sizes living in it.

well we took to em with iron rods we made and after about 3 hours we had a pile about 1 meter high on the bank.

we lit a fire on them and as they were burning I noticed some were cooking quite nicely, so I took a peice and had a munch of the nice chunky white flesh, they actually were not too bad at all.

I think it depends on the size of fish, habitat and time of year ect ect..

The europeans love em.

Archived