kookaburra park report

Jordan

to cut a long story short, even tho i prepared all of the fishing gear, food, and all the things needed to take on the trip, it took us 3 hours before we left my place. everything that could possibly go wrong went wrong, and i wasnt very hopefull that the night we would be one to remember for the right reasons.

anyway, we left at 11 pm to go to kookaburra park, ariving at around 11.45 and getting the lines in at about 12.30. when we got there the tide was very high, but it kept rising to our astonishment, far higher than we expected.

this night, i was looking for more of a fun than a serious fishing sesion and left all of the crabpots at home, our last trip saw us catch 168 undersized mudcrabs and not one legal one. so we filled the esky with ice and drinks and brought plenty of good food to keep us entertained.

i started castnetting, and in my first cast the net started trembling as if id already caught my first shark. i pulled it in to find the biggest mullet ive ever caught, along with 3 other 35cm + ones and a very large milkfish.

out went the milk fish, and before i had a chance to throw the net out again, the reel was screaming for my attention. as i ran over and reefed the line to set the hooks, the shark ran wildly, but only for about another 20 seconds before spitting the hooks. i was left in amazement of how quickly we had come on to some action, and while i was siting there thinking about it the eggbeater went off as well. i ran to it and set the hooks, playing the biggish fish for a few minutes on the 8lb line thinking it was a catfish, but when it got to the shore i noticed it was a large salmon measuring up at 52cm's. so, out it went for livebait, this one was a little slower to get hit, but when it did, far out did we know about it. the line screamed and screamed and at the highest drag on my reel it still just kept going. it was all to much and i knew it would be short lived, unfortunatley the hooks were again spat.

feeling upset with my losses, and live bait becoming very scarce, i turned to dead baits. i cut up some eel and put it out on 2 diferent rods. from then on there was hardly 30 mins in between runs, and all on the same bait. all in all there were 27 runs, ranging from monsters then melted the line off the reel, to smaller 2 footers that entertained us by leeping numerous times out of the water in an attempt to throw the hooks.

we fished 2 about 8 am the next morning,managing to snag a few flathead on my new scorpian, and eventually landing two smaller sharks. all in all the night was heaps of fun with plenty of activity and a feed to take home. next trip we will be far better prepared and hopefully land a few more.

[img size=400]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/catch.JPG

post-147-14459840774_thumb.jpg

Using the salmon as bait? hahaha.

You must like the taste of bully a lot!

Well done mate.

How big would you say that bigger bully is?

A bit over a meter for sure?

Werewolf looks like you have some upper river competition :P

Well done on the flatties as well.

Angus

Post edited by: Angus, at: 2007/02/23 14:39

very nice!

will try the place out soon.

btw, anychance theres a light post there 4 nite fishing?

also, which part of it is it? it looks to be a very big park and as i see on google earth, there seems to be a carpark area, is that where u fished?

never the less, great catch

just got back from there before. had a rough night. went casting and not much was around since it was low tide. went for a stroll and casted it where i shouldnt of. got stuck on a log or something and ripped the damn thing. :pinch: anyway, had a few livies and used it for bait.

not much luck i tell you. a full hour sitting around, even the ppl that was there didnt catch anything except an eel that was used for bait.

JORDAN:

Mate, i gotta be there the next time that you are! you gotta teach me a thing or two. I just normally fish at either westend or kangaroo point and mainly land around 2 bullies thats decent size but not much upstream.

anyway, maybe next time.

Archived