How to catch macks?

Oztrav

So guys I htought we could share our ideas on this to help fish of the month so what do you guys use for macks, fishing rigs, baits, line class, reels, lures, jigs, wire trace or no wire trace leader how long pound of leader etc etc.

Me i dont know

Ostrav I would reccomend using 1lb crystal fireline, on a really light whippy rod, with the smallest line capacity reel you can find. Then chuck you bait of maggots in the cleanest freshwater you can find. They are really finicky so make sure you only use a leader of about 2lb. Good luck!:P :laugh: :P

But actually I'm gonna use a small amount of wire, With a nice shiny bait fish(herring or something) to 20lb braid and some suitably heavy leader. And a good bit of line capacity.

Thanks

Tim

The methods that work are many and varied, they must have very good eyesight because when there not super hungry they reject anything thats not rigged perfectly, if there is any secret to catching them with bait is it perfect replication of how that bait would appear before you added your hooks, wire, line.

the current plays a big part in how your presentation appears to the fish, it affects the way the bait will move in the water.

anchoring berleying and floating baits out is a very good method, its tends to be easier to fish in a still situation and get that perfect presentation, the downside is your in 1 spot but over a few trips if it is a good spot good odds.

my preferred method is slow trolling bonito and slimys, the bonito are always dead and it takes about 10min to rig each one, the easiest dead bait to rig for a troll is gar and they work well to.

10-15kg line, no leader 3 ft of single strand 44 lb wire tied to a gang of hooks, for anyone not used to wire 7 strand wire 40-60lb crimped would be an easier starting point.

to understand all the methods that work takes years of practice, its a very hands on business, the best bet would be to work out how you want to catch them and explore the most suitable method and do it well.

• 3 weeks later...

hey yesterday I was fishing a spot and saw macks jumpin 2/3ft out of the water chasin schools of hardyheads.....I'm thinking around maybe 70/80cms long....schools of the hardyheads were jumpin for there lives so there may have been more macks around....

I've caught a few over the years and recommend no wire and a heavy leader....as for bait live is best but will take pillies if presented well...then hang on cause they are lighting fast on hook up.....hope this helps

Archived