Albert River got the nod over work

Brian D

I haven't been posting many fishing reports lately partly due to not fishing much and partly due to having an anti pc syndrome due to overwork. But being part of a fishing community means contributing as well as reading so seeing I took a catch up day from work and went fishing with my son before he moves to Canada here’s a little Albert report.

Hope you enjoy it.

Albert River is a little contributory that comes down through Rathdowny, Maroon Dam and Mount Barney then joins into the Logan River then out to Morton Bay. It’s very shallow on the reaches that I fish but with a convenient yak launch being only 5 mins from home it’ll do me.

The water was a bit dirty on the surface due to the windy conditions over night and with the negative tide saw the surface clutter just sitting still and pooling in al the usual ebb spots.

out zxzx.JPG

I found old is new lately, I have been using some old wooden lures Dnio sold me last year and the bass are loving them. Throwing them from the bank and yak since the season opened I have caught about 20 bass on them. The biggest difference to modern lures is the wooden ones float to the surface much faster then say the chubbies and sx ranges. zxz-20090915.JPG

fishing_hardcore wrote:

coming from out west tablelands I can honestly say to be able to catch fish like that in

an unstocked river is awesome,

it would be good to see some catchment management stategies incorporating river health and the local bass stocks as an indicator.

cheers

When carpbusters were active a lot of bass and mary river cod were stocked by the Rathdowney Hotel foshing club according to DPI website they are still the stocking body. I have no idea how active they are but i seem to remember that DPI alos has a programme of stocking all fresh water streams in SEQ.

It also benefits when Maroon Dam overflows.So there could also be some yellas there.

Cheers

Ray

Thanks for the info Brett its good to see these little groups doing a great job looking after their local waterways so if your fishing these skinny waters only take the carp and leave all the natives to grow. Sometimes its nice to just have a walk or paddle and not fish at all.( not having a go at anyone just expressing a thought)

Cheers

Ray

Archived