far out, shultz canal part 2

Jordan

went bak to see my mate today and threw the lure on the way home. fishin was pretty slow, got a small bream, toady :blink: small flathead and a cod. this jsut wasnt enough for me, i was down and i was dissapointed, so i was counting on my last stop home to reap rewards 4 me. this was where i got bitten of yesterday. on the way ran into an angler who was also lure fishing so i stopped to brag to him about my day, little did i know it was our very own 'adventure angler'. so anyway he was about 50 metres from the spot i was heading to and asked him 2 join me. by the time he got there i had already landed a small cod. determined to get the fish that bit me off the previous day, i threw in the exact same spot again, and would u believe, bang! nailed again!, unfortunatley this wasnt nearly as big as yesterdays fish but was still pulling alot of line! 30 secs or so into the fight and i called adven angler over, when it snaged me in the same spot as yesterday :pinch: . so, i stripped of my gear once again, only this time no fan club watching, just a very good looking advan angler :kiss: . into the drink i went, and as i did so the fish came free! u beauty i thought, and got the rod bak off angler to fight the fish again, only to have me bak in the snag again, so bak in the drink i went with my rod this time, and off it went again at 110 miles per hour (slight overstatement) and then the line was thrown at me.....minus the lure!!!!!!!!!!! omfg i thought. this was getting far to expensive, especially since i work in some dero fish shop. takes me 2 hours of slavery to afford one of those lures, and they go just like that. hmmmm easy come easy go...

hey guesse wot time it is? time for work :( im thinkin of emailing halco and askin them if they could provide us with a temporary stall or something (early ideas) that they could offer to us discount prices for a day. just a thought. mayb if there were enough people interested? if they were cheaper than normal id stock up.

jordan mate,

was great to meet some1 else from the forum, i thought i recognised the face wen u rode past. thanks for showin us the good spot and providin a bit of entertainment :P ill hold ur stuff any day mate if it means i get to wtach u dive in after an unknown fish. always good to have some1 else to fish with so was good to see u there.

after u left i started flickin my lure round the same area you were and after about 4 casts was onto something, got it to within about 2m of the wall when it spat the lure. i managed to see it as it came to the surface and it was a 30-35cm flathead. next cast and i was onto something a bit bigger but it didnt hook-up properly.

the tide was now getting very low and the hits were coming few and far between, i decided to switch lures to try get some action, but didnt manage to get any hits at all. switched back to the kokoda and still nothing. i figured the tide must have been too low. while standing on the wall i noticed a rat swimming through the water and climbing onto the bank, its back legs must have been broken or something coz it had to drag itself out of the water.

i decided to head back to the overpass and decided to have a few casts, even though the tide was extremely low by this point. i cast towards a pile of rocks on the opposite bank and after 3 turns of the reel i was on. jordan knows the rod i was using (6 foot telescopic) so any fish manages to put up a decent fight. this fish went crazy (felt it anyway) and upon landing it i found it to be a 30ish cm cod.

at this point i packed up and started the walk back to my car. on the way out of the area i passed 5 cop cars all over the place, something must have happened in the area this arvo. guess we might hear about it later..?

turned out to be an exciting afternoon of fishing!

-nelson-

Post edited by: adventure_angler, at: 2007/03/08 17:59

hey nelson it was good 2 see u, always good to have some company when fishing, im gonn try this saturday aftenoon hopefully if u or anyone else wants to come. i can assure u, u will have far more fun if u bring a pushbike, ill show u some really remote areas where the fishing is far better. by the way, did that flatty have my lure in its mouth?

just on an interesting note, i was tellin troy about my little expedition today, and he rekons the cod actually atak the lure out of aggresion and defending its territory, rather than out of hunger. i think i will take down one of the salmon handlines tomorrow or some time and have a go at getting my lures bak, hopefully the thicker line wont spook them. lol u guys just can not comprehend how much it hurts me 2 loose those lures, this battle isnt over :evil:

jordan, i might be able to make it down on saturday, however, i wouldnt be able to bring a bike as it wuddnt fit in my car :P

i guess u cud always ride and i cud meet u there like 1-3 hours later, haha. i didnt realise how far i walked today until i had to walk back!

id definately like to be there wen u finally pull that monster up from the deep. just make sure u r there at high tide becoz the action went down drastically about half an hour after u left.

keep me posted on the details and i might be able to meet u down there for another session.

-nelson-

Jordan wrote:

hey nelson it was good 2 see u, always good to have some company when fishing, im gonn try this saturday aftenoon hopefully if u or anyone else wants to come. i can assure u, u will have far more fun if u bring a pushbike, ill show u some really remote areas where the fishing is far better. by the way, did that flatty have my lure in its mouth?

Hey mate,

if you dont mind i might come and join ya. Been trying to get into lures and I'm keen to watch and learn from someone. If ya don't mind what time are you heading out? unfortunately no bike.

Archived