Lake Awoonga

Brian D

Andrew,

As far as an event sounds good.

BRC events have been great to date :P

Shall we have like a rather informal competition?

Like most barra or biggest or whatever.

I mean we wont be able to bull as im sure there will always be witnesses hahaha.

I also put a post about this trip in tackle and accessories.

Cheers.

Angus.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Booking from 13th Nov to 17 Nov 1 cabin at caravan park. (BD) But would like more nights and will take a tent if I have too. (By the way - I snore)

Booking 13th - 20th in town (feral).

In BD car/boat is BD, Angus, Troy and Jordan. But may need another car, depends how long Angus wants to stay.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to stay the full time.

So Brian if you plan on being there till the 17th so will i.

Thats my Bday!!!

How sweet would it be to get a big barra on my bday!!!

Brian can you let me know what i will owe you?

Also factoring in Petrol.

As for the afore mentioned \"Meal Meets\". My only comment is \"Hell Yeah\"!

Im sure we will want to have a beer or ten and argue over who caught the biggest Barra.

So like some BBQ's and Big pasta dishes i think would be great.

I also have 8 or 9 Opera house traps.

So who knows we could have a massive red claw and barra bbq :)

I am so keen for this trip.

Angus

Argue - no argument as the biggest Barra will be caught by me of course!

Food - Red Claw, Barra Fillets and Hamburgers - what else do you need! Beer.

Budget - I'm not sure but I reakon you might get change from $500 but depends how many lures you loose on your 30lb tooth floss.

cabin cost 4 x $75 = 300

extra cabin 3 x $10 x 4 = 120

Petrol travel say guess = 160

petrol boat say

$60 per day x 6 days = 360

Food say $100 per head = 400

that's what = 1340 which is about $350 each

plus fishing stuff and extras so I say $500 should do it.

17th is a Friday so I'm thinking 1 or 2 nights in a tent or the car and come home on the Sunday. However there may be a bed in town with Ray if feral has to go home. Well not actually with Ray but at Rays place.

I have tents if someone wants to put it up but I'm actuall thinking to just sleep in the boat with a mossy net over it. My tents are the old style and heavy so is your thinking tents and you got your own new light tent that would be cool for 2 nights.

Also my car seats fold down so 2 can sleep in there for 2 nights if you too lazy to put up a tent.

As another thought if someone wants to put there own tent up and stay in there for privacy that's OK as well - basicly whatever makes you comfortable is ok with me. But I got the biggest bed and the boat!

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2006/08/11 19:50

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2006/08/11 19:57

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2006/08/11 20:06

you are welcome to doss in with us. be warned i snore.

Also re budget dont forget to factor in the cost of going into gladstone to buy a new rod and reel if you are planning to troll with your rod in the crappy under $20 rod holders you can buy. They snap off at the post and bingo no rod and no fish. Its happened to 2 of my mates up there.They now tie a safety rope to the rod.

ray

Good call again Ray (the old bugger has got experience). I was onto that allready but I've done nothing as yet. At the least I will set up security clips for the rods but the bets I will upgrade to heavy duty holders. I don't think my holders will last, so I gotta do something.

Ray what about down riggers? Do I need one to get down deep for day trolling? Do other boats use em in the lake?

I was chatting with a \"pro\" at BCF this morning and he says down riggers are the go this year, especially for middle of the day as the barra come up to the surface morning and night but are realy deep during the day.

Mental note to self - he also said with the down rigger try the shallow diving lures as the bomb sets the depth and the action on the deeper lures gets buggered up.

So next bit of fitout to boat is new downrigger.

I reckon I will be using plastics mostly. For several reasons

1. I dont own any hardbodies, and at 15 to $30 a pop, am not likely to!

2. Taking the boys with us, I certainly cant afford to let them fish with hard bodies, that would cost hundreds an hour!

3. We will be borrowing heavy gear from rayke for the trip, so investing in a range of Barra suitable lures for one trip only (at this stage) would be a very expensive exercise!

100mm Minnow style SP's with trebles are about $7 a pack of three, so they will most likely be my weapon of choice.

And of course good old bait will get a run as well. Will be taking light gear for the catties and the silver perch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Angus / Troy - A couple of things about Awoonga-

The good part first - I am haveing a new 4 stroke fitted and asked for a trolling switch to be added - it slows the motoer down to about 2knotts GS. So the petrol costs will be cut by at least half.

The money I spent on the motor blew my budget so I can't get the new sounder fitted - I wanted a digital one with temp readings and better graphics - We will have to make do with what I got - an old black and white Hummingbird.

Water temp is critical so if either of you guys could come up with a temp solution I would be grateful.

In my latest Trailer Boat Fisging mag they talk about catching Barra in Awoonga at 90 foot down - so I will do my best to get the downrigger fitted - have either of you guys had experience with downriggers?

I also haven't had a chance to get the front cast platform finished yet - I'll try but wow time is running out. I tested SP's from there a couple weeks ago and it is tops.

Lighting - now the oil reservar is gone I have a perfect place for the 2nd battery to run all the gadgets and lights. I have the old wet cell cranking battery from the refit but that is not perfect - do you guys have a dry cell deep cycle battery we could use?

Feral wrote:

Just had a thought, Callide is suposed to be wicked for Barra as well, and it is only an hour west of Awoonga.

If things are slow at Awoonga, we could go out to Callide for a day.:woohoo:

Do we permitts for Awoonga and the other dams? If so do we get em before we go or when we get there? I wouldn't wont to get there and hear - sorry no permit no fish! :blush:

Yep!

Ray has buggered off to Perth for 3 weeks to fill in the time in between fishing trips, his boat was running a bit off at Glenlyon, hope he has left him self enough time to sort it out on his return!

It would not plane, dunno if it was just the motor off tune, the combination of the altitude and fresh water (boats sit lower in fresh) or the four of us with all our gear in it. I am hoping the earlier, otherwise getting about on Awwonga could be sloooow!

If we have to we could take his smaller boat, its still big enough for 3, Ray would have to get in with Graham. But I am sure he is \"on it\".

Is Ray a Gypsie - well lets just say the expression \"gray nomad\" was devised just for him!

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/10/07 07:10

Just got a PM from Rossco over on Ausfish (One of the blokes I met up with at Glenlyon Dam).

reads as follows

the guys from roma caught 13 barra between 94cm & 114cm at callide dam on 7th & 8th october.

We definately gotta do a day at Callide!

I'll even let you catch the biggest fish at Awoonga brian, coz the one I get from callide will be bigger!

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/10/21 18:05

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/10/21 18:06

Yeap - I agree - only if we don't do what the old saying says!

NEVER LEAVE WHERE FISH ARE TO GO SOMEWHERE ELSE TO CATCH FISH!:silly:

In other words if Awoonga is firing and we are boating fish I'm not going anywhere!;)

But if we have had our skin full and sick of catching Barra at Awoonga :laugh: or Awoonga is slow:( then yeap - I'll be there in a heartbeat.:woohoo:

Brian,

Looks like we will have 3 boats there, but possibly only 5 adults. Might make it a bit hard for whoever is going solo if they hook the \"big one\".

I've got access to a couple of hand held UHF's, do you have a UHF in your boat?

Otherwise I supose we can rely on mobile phones, can you dial with one hand while playing a 1m plus Barra with the other? :blink:

Ferg and I are fairly keen not to to be trolling all that much (which is apparently how many of the big uns are caught) but rather work the submerged wood and weed beds, so we will be around the edges of the dam. It's just our prefered method of fishing, and there is probably much more going on to keep the young bloke amused.

I suspect Ray and Graham will be wanting to troll, so will be out in the middle somewhere.

Yeap - I have a uhf - not a 27 meg.

ME - I going to troll, cast and bait fish. I figured about 2hrs casting then 2hrs trolling cause I'm buggered from casting. Then 4 hrs sleep and feed then chase some liveies and another round of casting and trolling mixed with any livies I got.

The big one - you can come and help me if you want :lol: after 3 or 4 mts plus a day my back will be a bit sore.;)

We will have to see what the ramp traffic is like Brian, before getting to fixed in what sessions we are going to do, unless you can keep the boat in the water, as it is supposed to be like Queen Street at The ramp during the day.

I will bring along the hand held UHF's then, at least we can talk to each other on the water.

Only 13 more sleeps!

PS Want to put a little side wager on that the 1st metre plus you hook is 30 seconds after you start trolling coz your buggered from casting :blink: then you have to play it in and get it aboard whilst totally knackered! :S

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/10/29 07:38

And of course I have a packet of kokoda 55mm mad shads in orange - since they were the first plastics I really cleaned up on, they are my favorite! Dunno what they will catch in Awoonga, (maybe the elusive Jacks!) but I cant not have a packet! It just would not be right! [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/55_kokoda_mad_shad.jpg

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/10/29 11:30

post-134-144598402185_thumb.jpg

Feral wrote:

We will have to see what the ramp traffic is like Brian, before getting to fixed in what sessions we are going to do, unless you can keep the boat in the water, as it is supposed to be like Queen Street at The ramp during the day.

I will bring along the hand held UHF's then, at least we can talk to each other on the water.

Only 13 more sleeps!

PS Want to put a little side wager on that the 1st metre plus you hook is 30 seconds after you start trolling coz your buggered from casting :blink: then you have to play it in and get it aboard whilst totally knackered! :S<br><br>Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/10/29 07:38

Well I don't drink, smoke or bet but I am on holidays so why not.:blink:

I'll bet you a walk up the ramp to the car. I win you walk? :woohoo:

(seeing my deckie with a licence in not coming) :whistle:

I was thinking hitching a lift up the ramp or offering a taxi service up and down the ramp for $2 a trip. I was also thinking about leaving the boat in the water for a couple of days! It's not like it's going anywhere.

Archived