Kayak fishing 16/3 at Coochie any suggestions?

dhess

Mate SP sure are trollable. ( Well they have worked for me) To answer your other question. Head off the jetty at Vic Pt and go to the eastern side of Coochie. You will see some trees in the water just as coochie starts to bend around. About 200 metres before the trees and 100 metres from the island we have been getting great winter whiting (20-30 cm) using prawns cut up into 1cm pieces. Super light gear on a paternoster rig (I think that's how you spell it) and me old man and I have been getting between 50 to 100 in a couple of hours on the drift. Great fun. Also you get the odd flatty and shovel nose along with flounder small squire (20cm) Good luck mate let me know how you go.

I'm a boater not a yakker so I could be wrong here, but the water around the eastern and northern sides of coochie could be pretty uncomfortable in a yak. At the south western side (go left from the pontoon ramp at Viccy Pt.) runs a bit of a sandbar. I've managed to jag a fair few fingermark there. None of legal size though. Standard Bream and whiting around there also. I imagine there's got to be the odd flatty in that area as well.

Good luck with it.

I think i got here a bit late.

But as for trollable plastics, they still create the same motion they do on a retrieve and i have seen some good fish caugth trolling them.

Troy's 70+ Flathead jumps to mind as one of them!

Good luck mate hope to hear how you go.

Angus

Ended up being a fantastic day. Not a puff of wind. Even the exposed eastern side of the island was completely glassy.

Started off by launching at Victoria Pt. at 5am. We each trolled a lure on the way out but had no interest. When we reached the sunken trees on the eastern side of coochie about 5:30 tried flicking a popper around some snags where there were a few schools of baitfish jumping but no luck. I really need to practise with lures as I have no experience:(

By about 6:30 we tried fishing a few hundred meters off the island in deeper water around 4-5 meters. In no time we managed to catch 3 grinners:sick: :blush: one of them quite a big one. Three legal sweet lip soon followed, using squid and twice refrozen prawns. Next my kayak buddy caught a nice little whaler of some kind on a bit of squid. Any help with the ID would be appreciated.

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/whalerweb.jpg

Next I caught a monster puffer on a WA pilchard. It put up a good fight. It had scary teeth easily capable of severing a finger.

Things went very quiet so we tried a few spots drifting towards peel and then a few spots around the northern end of the island. No flaties but I ended up catching a nice little cat shark which was great fun.

Any comments or suggextions greatly appreciated.

post-972-14459840935_thumb.jpg

A 4 foot cod would be insane. I hooked a 1m+ bronze whaler at Scarborough reef and it moved us around a bit.

Angus,

Its my friends yak. Its a Hobie 2 seater. I will get a pic of it next time we go out. The sail is rigged to it and is quite helpful. In anything above 10 knots you really move.

It has four in built rod holders, cup holders for beer and two water tight hatches and an anchor.

Its pedal powered and easily outperforms any standard kayak and you can easily keep the pace up all day.

Its the ultimate fishing machine as its hands free. Not cheap though at around $3000.

Great work mate. The eastern side of Coochie always works well as a fo to area if all else fails. Going to peel this weekend as a friend recently got onto some snapper and macks. If it doesn't produce you know where I will end up. Good work, good photos. Talk soon.

Archived