Illegal Taiwanese fishing boat

Oztrav

well customs, fisheries and police should be applauded for intercepting an illegal trawler full to the bream with sailfish, sharks and other pelagics on its return leg home the crew have been detained and i hope they find the owner and prosecute him to the full extent of the law

However rather thean the haul be destroyed maybe it could be donated to some homeless shelters and hospitals so that some people can have a feed

far out, went to shultz today n ran into some deros, fished with them for a bit and we were talkin about the 6 crabpots on the otherside of the shore and wondering whos they were, when all of a sudden a family full of asians pulled up and took 18 undersized mudcrabs. does anyone know the fisheries number? i shake with rage when i see this kind of stuff, and just absoloutly hate the feeling of helplessness wen it happens....

Post edited by: webmaster, at: 2007/03/27 08:43

Jordan wrote:

far out, went to shultz today n ran into some deros, fished with them for a bit and we were talkin about the 6 crabpots on the otherside of the shore and wondering whos they were, when all of a sudden a family full of asians pulled up and took 18 undersized mudcrabs. does anyone know the fisheries number? i shake with rage when i see this kind of stuff, and just absoloutly hate the feeling of helplessness wen it happens....

yeah man i know that feeling i was fishing at kooka a few eeks ago and this kid white caught a undersized bream would of been about 10 cm but he had gilled it on the catch and it was gonna die and he kept it i told him to chuck it back in anyway cycle of life something for the other fish to eat but he kept

funnily enough he wouldnt let his older brother live bait a prawn cause it was cruel

Post edited by: webmaster, at: 2007/03/27 08:44

shiiiiiiiit yea, jsut got a new phone and this is the first number im adding into it, massive regret that i diddnt do it earlier. heres the fisheries number if anyone else is interested: 1800 017 116

these are the people to call if you see anyone cleanin out the creeks.

Had a similar situation out at NP dam not that long ago, complained to the ranger and he said fisheries were on there way but they probably missed them as they are understaffed, I would rather go through the illegal fisherman with a few of the boys I used to work nite clubs with .

Jordan wrote:

Jeez they must have been pretty small for you to be sure from the other side of the creek!

Crying shame it is.

Post edited by: webmaster, at: 2007/03/27 08:45

Guys,

I hate deadsh!ts who take undersize fish or more than there fair share as much as the rest of you, but racial slurs are completely uncalled for. It only makes anglers to be stereotyped as narrow minded, redneck hill billy's and does not help our goal of conserving fish stocks.

Dom

Actually, I applaud the conservation laws and efforts that are and have been put in place in australia. and it shows great concern placed on the importance of a sustainable fishery. I wish that Southeast Asia had such enforceable laws as well. We're getting pretty much fished out here. Human greed, lack of education... Soo many factors.

some of the guides we've fished with in the impoundments and forest reserves here, they're telling us that in their 10-20 years of guiding, myself, my bosses and out clients are the only ones who've ever released fish! So yea.. you get the idea..

These fishing vessels are normally crewed by foreigners or very lowly paid locals. The fish they get are either on longlines, blasted out of the water or homemade bombs, fished for by handlines, or sometimes, drift nets. I didnt get any detailed information on the vessel, so i cant comment more. If this vessel had sailfish on board, I daresay it was longlining. If it was longlining near shallow water, it probably did some blasting to get bait as well.

why do these vessels encroach into other nations waters? mainly because their waters have been pretty much fished out, alot of competition nearer to home, and the usual \"The grass is greener on the other side\" syndrome. Mind you, the owners of these vessels earn up to US$20,000 per 3-4 week trip that these commercial vessels go out on. Do the math, 5-10 tons of fish valued at US$5/kg... Minus the measly wages + diesel costs + food costs... still gives quite abit to the owners.. A further ace to these owners is that they're often very important or high ranking ppl in their home countries as well.. So yea, you can say they're pretty much untouchable.

Funny tho, Taiwanese vessels that go soo far away from home are normally live-well ships which target coral trouts, coronation trouts, coral cods, wrasses and other such coral fish that command high prices in Hong Kong and other oriental markets. Coronation trouts and other members of the grouper family are sold for up to US$40/kg in alot of higher class restaurants. we've had alot of these Taiwanese boats in our waters as well. We see Taiwanese, China, Vietnamese and Filipino boats around here too. The Taiwanese and Vietnamese boats are generally more hostile. If they dont like the look of you, they'll pull out their AKS and hose you with a few clips as they go past. As for my own personal experience, I've only happened to meet China and Filipino boats out at sea. but yea, they're no good here as well, these idiots. They use HE and blow most of the reefs up :S. You'll be surprised. These vessels are often run-down, faulty bilge pumps, faulty GPS, cockroches running around, BUT 20-30 crew on a 50-60ft vessel.

anyway, back to the topic,I think it's a matter of more education being needed. People need to be taught about the importance of a sustainable fishery, and how the guidelines set by our authorities help to make a sustainable fishery possible. The penalties are more of a deterrent I guess, but most people probably think that they can get away with it, and unless more action is taken, I doubt the rules and regulations'd have much effect. But then again, if these ppl understood the reasoning behind the rules, then I guess they wouldnt do what they're not supposed to do.

The kid who brought a 10cm bream home? well, i guess someone needs to explain to him that if everyone else did what he did, there'd be no fish left, and not only is wht he's doing not legal and that he could be slapped with a big fine for doing that, if more ppl did what he did, he might never catch a bream bigger than 10cm again!

The family who pulled in all the undersized crabs? well, they might not know. best to inform them of the regulations, and hope they dont do it again. Otherwise, it's best to let the law do whatever it can. You guys are really lucky to have such great education on the importance of CnR. Here, I have people trying to pick a fight with me or putting me down just because I released a fish instead of giving it to them!

Australia has a great conservation thing going. I think it just needs more help and effort from all the anglers out there to make it better. With soo many great anglers here, I guess it wouldnt be too hard would it? B) .

sorry, i was the one that referred to asians in a derogative manner, but i just got so carried away, theres so many of them everywhere i fish, and they have no respect at all of our waters. my mates and i are not always around to accidently kick there bucket of undersized fish in the water. most of the time i find myself picking up the rubbish that they leave behind and it makes me absoloutley furious! admitadly i saw an aussie once take 2 undersize sandies a few months ago, but its an absoloute minority of aussies who do this. i do get along very well when i meet asians who have respect for australia and its environment, and troy can back that up as well, as we will talk for ages about past expiriences. but i can honestly say its a minority who are like this. hoping to bust a few tomorrow...

Admin Note: Post has been edited due to unsuitable language

Post edited by: webmaster, at: 2007/03/27 22:11

Hey Jordan,

No worries. I understand exactly how you feel.

I just wish there was some easy solution. Maybe ultra stiff penalties and jail time for repeat offenders? There is nowhere near enough fisheries policing going on. Not once in my life have I seen a fisheries officer checking fish sizes and bag limits.

I agree that some people abuse fishing regulations etc.

I have also personally witnessed people from all creeds doing the wrong thing.

I know some people think that people of Asian desent openly abuse regulations and so forth. But they were not around when \"Aussies\" totally buggered up the river to the point its only just recovering.

Im not taking any sides as i think anyone that violates the laws should be charged to the upmost, i just implore to think hard about what you say.

We have several members of this site of Asian desent who i can vouch for as being very responsible recreational fishermen and i would hate them to think we run a site of bigots and narrow minded thinkers.

Thanks!

Angus

Well said all.

yeah im Asian, and I take no offence to the generalising coz i definately do it myself. The name calling....yeah heat of the moment and apology followed = Water off a ducks back.;)

But I think it is a bit of a mentality and cultural thing. I do see more asians taking undersized fish/crabs than other cultures:( . Dunno how you can prevent it other than whats already bieng suggested here. Contact the fisheries dudes.

Kicking in the bucket by \"accident\"....man they would go ape.:woohoo:

I guess if we keep doing our part by responsibly fishing and looking after the waterways, we are helping a little.

I think the fact that there are alot of cultures that take undersized fish is probably do to the lack of education and these peoples corresponding countries of origin. Either that or the fact that there waterways are so polluted and over fished that any catch is a good catch.:unsure: I will say though of those people that keep undersized fish the asian guys or more often than not going to use the whole fish, not just fillet and dispose of..... Still defiently no excuse!!!!!!!!!!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

hi guys interesting comments so far thanks Jordan for the fisho number ,I originly hail from sydney and i've seen certain parts of rivers stipped bare of fish ,simpply because the (how shall i name them well u know the types im talking about) simply because they take every thing and any thing . No fish is too small in the pot it goes more fishing police is needed as for illegal fishing boats in terratorial waters the aus gov should have a fleet of non descript black opps fishing trawlers , with a marks man on board with high powered shooter this gets better .once identified as illegal the offending boat would have a few slugs put in it below the water line and the opps boat would simply circle sinking illegal dumping blood and guts to attract the sharks no one would ever know , ps i mite run in next election

pps more eyes

hahahahaha 'no one will ever know' vote one for 2 wheels haha. yea ive gotta say im not singling out asians, the guy i go fishin with nearly everyday is asian! although he tries to sneak as much undersized stuff into his pockets, but im pretty sure he only does it to piss me off. haha he helps me kik the buckets in, accidentally i mite add, and they generally pretend they diddnt see it because they know they were in the wrong. i have to agree with angus, that aussies were the ones to ruin the waterways to start with, but as we moove towards conservation and protection of these vulnerable waterways, it annoys me how people with no respect try and ruin our cause. as has been said so many times before, education is the key.

Archived