Looking for a new Rod

robin

Im looking for a new rod up to $100, but i can go up to $150 max.inc real

What do i need it for, i want to use this one for Bream and flathead fishing.

Is it worth spending that much cash for a rod.

Will it make it easier to catch fish

What would be a good brand for that price range.

If it does not improve my fishing, would it be better to get a $50 rod instead.

i picked up that combo. Caught flathead, yellowbelly and bass on it - no dramas with snags or anything. The rod is a bit tip heavy on the combo and I had to choke up on my rod hand to maintain a better balance. The reel is solid for the price. Think it's a great combo for starting out, but if you have a good amount of experience I'd def upgrade. Other AFOers should give you some good recommendations - I've heard good things about berkeley dropspots and pflueger trions, but that's all hearsay and not experience.

robin wrote:

Is it worth spending that much cash for a rod.

depends on your own perception of your gear mate, ive slowly but surely upgraded all my gear and 3 of my rods retail here for $500+ (thats not to say i paid that much hehe)

is it worth it to me? hell yeah, is it worth it to you? thats your call.

in pure terms of fish catching i.e numbers, you probably wont see a significant difference as you climb the $ ladder. but to me i need to enjoy the gear i'm using as well as catch fish, and i like to make sure i'm as comfortable and the tools are as fine tuned to the task as possible.

I'll use one of my high end baitcasters as an example, my megabass phaseII destroyer (flatbacker). I use this for throwing plastics/lipless cranks around the river mainly and to compare it to a $100 berkley dropshot, i probably dont catch many more fish on it, but it makes it easier for me to finesse lures and work the strike zone etc. Also makes it easier to detect subtle taps which sometimes turn into 50cm+ snappa

with a $100 dropshot i'd be able to do everything i can with the megabass but it'd require more effort on my part and i personally wouldn't enjoy it as much

Will it make it easier to catch fish

similar question, but the answer is yes and no. using the flatbacker as an example again, the reason i like it so much is the taper (how the rod bends) is transitioned perfectly. What i mean by this is when i'm casting lures the rod loads up quite well allowing for easy casts. But when i'm working lures the rod doesnt bend at all, making it easier to work the lure with small finesse movements, and when a fish is on it loses that stiffness and develops a softer bend to protect the hookset until you get into the backbone.

All of this makes it easier for me to work lures and be confident in the hookset, but i dunno how many fish i'd miss or drop if i were using a $100 dropshot instead, i suspect the difference in fish numbers wouldnt be very significant.

so i guess to me it will make it easier and more enjoyable having a high quality rod that suits you but probably not enough to put many more fish in the boat, the most important aspect is to choose a style and taper of rod that suits what you do

brands, i used a berkely dropshot for a long time and it went the distance, i'd recommend these as a good starting point. just make sure to choose a length, power and taper suitable for what you'll do with it

again its up to you if you're happy and comfortable using a $50 rod go for it, at the end of the day some of us are motivated by fish numbers alone, some in the middle and some want their gear to be as absolutely perfect as possible (the broke ones among us :( )

wesfish wrote:

bcf have a sweet lil combo at the moment

shimano sienna 2500 on a graphite rod for $79 save $59

would make a great bream and flatty out fit :)

something like i reckon is good for a new /just starting out fisher.

there are differences in the quality in the gear for the $.

15 /20 to 50 /60 $ big difference.

50/60 to the 120 / 150 $ big difference

and u feel the difference in how the rod and reel feels ,nicer to use ,lighter and smother etc .

i don't know about the above 150$ stuff as i have never owned any .

Cowfish13 wrote:

I wouldn't really recommend a graphite rod for bait fishing. Fibreglass rodss seem to be alot easier to use with bait

what about Composite fishing rod ,they ok for bait and sp and hb i reckon.

i think most rods are composite these days or graphite .

as how many full glass and only glass rods do u see about these days .

i'd definitely avoid the pricier graphite rods like Cowfish said. they are usually much stiffer and less forgiving than a graphite/composite as it is more designed for lure manipulation and striking before the fish realises it isn't eating a tasty morsel.

head into your tackle store, they can sort you out and get a good line on there too as you have many many options. braid/fused lines are probably best avoided for the ease of a half decent nylon line which is much much cheaper and less inclined to twist/knot on it's own. have seen some amazing birds nests created when bait fishing braid.

Archived