Passage Expedition

Angus

To all Yakkers out there.

I am planning a trip for the end of winter (ish) starting at Ningi and Ending up at Coloundra.

Obviously one night camping somewhere along the way.

Would anyway one keen for a mission of this calibre? The trick is you would need to arrange to have someone waiting at the other end for you.

Being winter there should be plenty of Tailor and some biiig sea bream around.

Picture: Dawn over the passage. [img size=400]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Dawn-8d97ffc090f45316573b3bd6b76047c9.JPG

Post edited by: Angus, at: 2007/03/30 10:21

post-63-144598410477_thumb.jpg

Well I am 100% in... cant wait to take the new yak out and this sounds like an amazing trip!!!

The passage would be a great trip, would be plenty of places to flick a lure around and also perfect for trolling a few lures for tailor. Told mum about the trip last night as i guess she will be the one waiting for me at the other end :P

Love camping, Love fishing, Love yakking, so count me in!

-nelson-

• 1 month later...

still doing this run you could count me in I have fished almost all of the passage but never done an expedition like this sounds like fun. It would be good if you made it a 2 nighter if possible that way you would have enough time to fish some of the creeks along the way. They are some of the better fishing grounds in the passage. You have got heading north Ningi,elimbah,glassy.husseys,saltwater,coochin and bells creek they all have great fishing opportunities it would be good to fish a few of them on the way

yeh 2 days 1 night would be far too short. honestly you could spend those 2 days in coochin alone and still not fish nearly all of its glory.

3 days 2 nights would give you enough time to fish a few of the creeks to a point and the main passage of course

Keep in mind that a straight trip in the main channel is over 35km check out the google tracker below

Lee [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/passage_web.jpg

post-1283-144598414144_thumb.jpg

here is a google track of how far a trip would be if you incorporated a short expedition into each of the creeks. I didnt go too far down the creeks only a short distance really. I incorporated all of the spots I know produce fish along the way as well.

It ended up nearly 80kms all up and thats just a quick squiz at the creeks

Lee

see below [img size=390]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/passage_web1_web.jpg

post-1283-14459841415_thumb.jpg

Hmmm interesting.

Maybe for a 3 dayer im over thinking.

Its all the time i have for the first trip.

Lee you would know, is there another place half way or so we could launch for shorter expedition. Then maybe do a longer one at x-mas or soemthing?

Angus

you can launch down at husseys creek but its a bit of a trek through state forest the same applies for glassy creek. there are plenty of easy options on coochin creek. I have also put in at a cane farm on husseys creek it is easy access but permission would have to be sought. I may be able to sort something out there.

There is a gravel ramp for easy launching but cars could not be left there i wouldnt think.

Lee

Here is the hussey creek site I was talking about check it out on google earth for a better look.

My brother said he has spoken to the farmer recently and it shouldnt be a problem if we cleared it with him first. This is a mid point in the passage so you could head north or south.

Lee [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/hussey_creek_launch_site_web.jpg

post-1283-144598414153_thumb.jpg

Angus if you pick 3 days where the tides are right, it would make the creek bits easier, IE high tide in middle of day would allow you to use the tide going up and coming down, dunno how that would affect the fishing though.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like a great trip.

Just a thought if you want to plan a one day trip, and save having to take vehicles up for the pick-up. I've paddled the Passage heaps, and I've found the wind generally seems to either blow up or down the passage depending on what time of year it is. If you had an early start and headed in the direction you'd expect the wind to blow from later in the day...once it's time to head back, you just pop up the golf umbrella, and sit back and sail / troll back to the car. You'll get back in no time at all. I've seen groups of kayak paddlers (not fishermen) who've paddled down from Caloundra, had lunch near the bridge, and then sailed home. That sort of distance can be done in a day if you don't fish, but that's not us is it! hehe. The golf umbrella works so well as a sail, you can almost tack, so even if the wind is slightly \"cross passage\" you'll still be able to make good headway. I gues with a one day trip, it means you don't need to take so much gear either.

I've used this meathod heaps. Usually launching at Coochin Crk mouth and heading south down as far as Tripcony bight / Donnybrook.

Just thought this might be an idea as a lead-up to the big one, overnight.:)

pcsolutionman wrote:

I have got a reliable old 15hp johnson here if you needed to use it for a trip like this

Lee

I we could put your motor on my Zodiac and make a support vessel. I'm buying a motor for it soon but I won't have it for the trip.

• 2 months later...

i have a registered tinny and trailer no motor:( but it has a 100 litre tank johnson fittings sounder and lights it can certainly be used for the trip i aslo have a crap glass kayak /surf ski or two i can lend out there not as stable as the plastic yaks but way faster

im still keen if we can get it organised sometime. A long weekend would be needed to do the entire passage but we could do it in 2 halves over 2 weekends split up and cover it a bit better. I have a second yak that someone could use if interested, first in best dressed. someone throw some dates around. before october would be best for me because i have cricket commitments after then

Lee

• 2 weeks later...

Archived