Whats the difference?

mongrel jack

Hi all,

Went to Charltons today to feed my lure addiction and came out with a Jackle TN50 (among others ;) ) then went to Big W to get the boy some new school shoes and spied the ET model. Has anybody compared the 2 fishing wise? They look and feel pretty much the same appart from the obvious quality difference of the hooks and splits which is cheap and easy to rectify. I'm gonna give them both a workout next weekend. Just curious if the ET one is just as effective? Would be a lot less painful to loose the ET one....

Cheers,

Greg

P1000966.jpg

P1000961.jpg

The ET one is a rebranded kokoda. They have standard and deep models, what you have there is a standard model (I prefer the deeps) They work fine for me. The lure aficionado's have a particular hatred of them. Probably because they are good value for money! Somehow or other they think the kokoda is a rip off of the jackall, but overlook the fact the Jackall is a rip off of the old rattlin spot......

Sigh... I'll do it...

The Kokoda's are very different to the Jackall's. From a picture, or a distance, they may look the same, but the weighting is all different, components (inc eyelets) and the body is more refined and finished better. The Jackall's swim better and I believe, catch more fish. I have noticed a large difference when using them at the same time as the Kokoda's (colours almost the same, trolling in Clear Island Waters).

If you're going to be fishing thick deep structure, especially from a bank, use a Kokoda. It's just stupid to use a Jackall where you have a massive chance of losing it (unless you're sponsored of course). But when casting to weed beds, or other open area's, I believe the Jackall is far and away better

I've had my say. I'll go away now...

Gave the kokoda versions both of them a go dont swim as well on the retrieve or the drop. by the time you put decent rings and hooks on them the price doubles. side by side The TN catches lots more fish. build quality is poor. snapper crush them like eggs. 5kg + drag and they fall apart. thought they were made in china not Aust. got a couple somewhere you can have for free.

I've caught plenty of bass/yellas over the years on the G-Vibe (Kokoda/ET) and for mine they are a great value alternative to the more expensive brands.

I use the standard rings and hooks and have yet to have any problems with them chasing those species.

If you are using them for big nasty stuff, then perhaps the extra $ for refitting or buying the Jackalls is justified.

I feel more comfortable risking a $5.00 lure, especially when I know that I have caught fish on them before.

Are the Jackalls better made...yep, do they perform differently in the water, yep. Will I buy one for $30.00...nope.

rocket

Rocket75 wrote:

I've caught plenty of bass/yellas over the years on the G-Vibe (Kokoda/ET) and for mine they are a great value alternative to the more expensive brands.

I use the standard rings and hooks and have yet to have any problems with them chasing those species.

If you are using them for big nasty stuff, then perhaps the extra $ for refitting or buying the Jackalls is justified.

I feel more comfortable risking a $5.00 lure, especially when I know that I have caught fish on them before.

Are the Jackalls better made...yep, do they perform differently in the water, yep. Will I buy one for $30.00...nope.

rocket

yeah rod that's my way of thinking now

brought a jackall when they were $20,i was to scared to use it, when i did, i lost it, went to buy another, they are now $30.

what the go with that?

lure prices are getting ridiculous!

Jackal TN's catch fish. I like to catch fish worh every penny IMO.

Pics are of my current favourites. I can list pretty much what each one has caught but it would be too much typing so just one. Top left. origanly black and purple TN 70 owner 6x trebles hawaiin snap 60lb on tow eye. 13 jew incl. PB. 7 threadies. lots of cod 1m + Qld groper plus all the bycatch $30 well spent.

I have put some chubbies up as well another Jackal lure much copied but not equalled.

Top right is deep diving suspender out of the box. The one below was the same colour, it has caught 200+ Bass 100+ Bream plus by catch yellas, tarpon, jacks, flathead, cod ect. $20 well spent.The one below not far behind in numbers caught. Bottom right is Micro Min suspender not far behind the chubbies and an AUSSIE champion only $11. Probably should add that I have lost a lot though would add up to thousands but lures are for catching fish and you are bound to lose plenty in the process. Steve. IMGP0062_AFO.jpg

elops wrote:

Jackal TN's catch fish. I like to catch fish worh every penny IMO.

Pics are of my current favourites. I can list pretty much what each one has caught but it would be too much typing so just one. Top left. origanly black and purple TN 70 owner 6x trebles hawaiin snap 60lb on tow eye. 13 jew incl. PB. 7 threadies. lots of cod 1m + Qld groper plus all the bycatch $30 well spent.

I have put some chubbies up as well another Jackal lure much copied but not equalled.

Top right is deep diving suspender out of the box. The one below was the same colour, it has caught 200+ Bass 100+ Bream plus by catch yellas, tarpon, jacks, flathead, cod ect. $20 well spent.The one below not far behind in numbers caught. Bottom right is Micro Min suspender not far behind the chubbies and an AUSSIE champion only $11. Probably should add that I have lost a lot though would add up to thousands but lures are for catching fish and you are bound to lose plenty in the process. Steve. IMGP0062_AFO.jpg

Thanks Steve and all that have responded. I think any lure that is a proven winner is worth the money spent however if the $4 dollar lure is just as effective why buy the $30 one which was my original ponder. Having said that I did hey - but don't regret it for a minute. I have been using Chubbies for years and are a proven producer when nothing else will get a look so the Jackle mob have got something right. I don't like throwing money away though and the cheap copies are food for thought. I watch so many of these bass pro comps and they all use the TN50/60 so was swayed into buying one (yeah yeah I know they are sponsored etc.. but they produce fish and are out there to win these comps). It was just by chance I saw the ET ones right after I parted with my $30. I will give both a run next weekend and see how we go.

Cheers,

Greg

I have been using Jackals and G/vibes for quite awhile, I have never had to change anything on them when targeting bass or yellas. I use whichever one I think is going to do the job for me best and at the least expense. I havnt caught any less fish using G/vibes, they both work for me. There is an old saying, there is a time and place for everything and everything in its right place.

You are right about time and place Dino remember that month not long ago when the $4 frenzys out fished every thing in the tackle box. I admit I am fanatical about upgrading hooks and rings but you never know what you might hook and I do like to use vibes for larger fish standard hooks and rings are fine for bass and yellas in the open dams at lower drag settings. And I stick by TN'S outfishing copies when using cast and retrieve methods .

There are also the silent models (not discussed so far )which can be very good on some days and situations.

My opinion and observations.

Steve.

elops wrote:

Gave the kokoda versions both of them a go dont swim as well on the retrieve or the drop. by the time you put decent rings and hooks on them the price doubles. side by side The TN catches lots more fish. build quality is poor. snapper crush them like eggs. 5kg + drag and they fall apart. thought they were made in china not Aust. got a couple somewhere you can have for free.

hey steve did you mean both the heavy and light versions of the g-vibe dont swim as well or the ET version and the kokoda version or something else, ive tried the lighter g-vibe and i agree it doesn't swim as well, never tried the heavy version though.

kokoda/et lures will definitely catch fish but if you want to catch more fish jackall are some of the highest quality and you know youre getting a proven winner. they just cost a lot more. personally i believe all the jackall range is too pricey which is why i have chubbys that are still in the box lol. the river2sea and strike pro range etc, which effectively are just copies will catch just as many fish i reckon for half the price. i always goto big w to get gulp, hooks, sinkers and fireline and i always see those berkley frenzy lures. they just look crap. i would never use one. but now you guys have got me thinking after having success with them. with the ET range the rebranded sprogs are fine and i have used them but just put owner hooks and rings on them. so i cant see why they vibe style ones wont work well but id recommend upgrading the hooks.

Archived