Jump to content

Reefs reachable without an EPIRB????


whitehorse47
 Share

Recommended Posts

I fully intend to purchase an epirb, i haven't long had my new boat, still fitting it out, an epirb is the only piece of equipment i don't have at the moment, that is why i am trying to find places within a safe distance, maybe i should have bought the epirb, then the boat.

in fully sea worthy vessel, operating in calm waters with a responsible skipper i don't really see a problem, maybe i'm missing something.

but if you are not doing or have any of the above, do yourself a favor, get an epirb!

most boating accidents are human error or neglect!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

shortie wrote:

i dont understand why people jut dont purchase an epirb. Weather your 100mtrs offshore or 100klm its a safety device every boat owner venturing into the salt should own.

ROFL :laugh: I can just imagine what the authorities would say if you set off your EPIRB 100m from shore, or at the Pin or Pumicestone Passage or any number of salt rivers. EPIRB money would be much better spent on a good radio and course, or swimming lessons.

Whitehorse,

Here's an excel file with a bunch of GPS points for around here.

(The data is a bit messy but it's a good starting point)

Actually the excel file wont attach, so here is a word doc [file name=GPS_points.doc size=67072]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/files/GPS_points.doc[/file]

GPS_points.doc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can't really help with GPS marks, but have found googling 'GPS marks' and 'the area you are looking to fish' has come up with some good starting points.

$400 for an epirb seems a bit exorbidant(s) when you consider you can buy a GPS or UHF/VHF much cheaper and in essence they are much more complicated versions of the same thing. Its like anything that is a legal necessity, it will always cost a lot more then if it was just an option. How much of the sale price of an EPIRB actually goes to the organisations that monitor them? My guess would be 4/5ths of buggerall.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

and to actually give the man the answers he was after!

The shallow reefs off Scarborough, Wellington and Cleveland points and a bit further afield, just out and south of the Gold Coast seaway (Look for the boat parking lot on a weekend out there). There are plenty of other spots too, but thats for a starter

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry Tom, you failed too :P

Preferably from Bribie north

tomca wrote:

and to actually give the man the answers he was after!

The shallow reefs off Scarborough, Wellington and Cleveland points and a bit further afield, just out and south of the Gold Coast seaway (Look for the boat parking lot on a weekend out there). There are plenty of other spots too, but thats for a starter

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ellicat wrote:

shortie wrote:
i dont understand why people jut dont purchase an epirb. Weather your 100mtrs offshore or 100klm its a safety device every boat owner venturing into the salt should own.

ROFL :laugh: I can just imagine what the authorities would say if you set off your EPIRB 100m from shore, or at the Pin or Pumicestone Passage or any number of salt rivers. EPIRB money would be much better spent on a good radio and course, or swimming lessons.

Whitehorse,

Here's an excel file with a bunch of GPS points for around here.

(The data is a bit messy but it's a good starting point)

Actually the excel file wont attach, so here is a word doc [file name=GPS_points.doc size=67072]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/files/GPS_points.doc[/file]

Thanks very much allicat...Jeff

Link to comment
Share on other sites

bigtez wrote:

Can't really help with GPS marks, but have found googling 'GPS marks' and 'the area you are looking to fish' has come up with some good starting points.

$400 for an epirb seems a bit exorbidant(s) when you consider you can buy a GPS or UHF/VHF much cheaper and in essence they are much more complicated versions of the same thing. Its like anything that is a legal necessity, it will always cost a lot more then if it was just an option. How much of the sale price of an EPIRB actually goes to the organisations that monitor them? My guess would be 4/5ths of buggerall.

Thanks for the advise bigtez.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

tomca wrote:

and to actually give the man the answers he was after!

The shallow reefs off Scarborough, Wellington and Cleveland points and a bit further afield, just out and south of the Gold Coast seaway (Look for the boat parking lot on a weekend out there). There are plenty of other spots too, but thats for a starter

Thanks tomca

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i was going to suggest mud island and peel along with the new arty near harry's, go a few times learn how to fish these places and your efforts will be rewarded, you just have to hit these places hard, and try everything you can think of. big fish are definately there, they don't get big for bein silly. you just have to outwit them, only ever done it twice myself, but i don't frequent these places a lot, but good luck, these places are all reefy spots to so use a reef anchor, not a sandy.

robbo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Previous Member
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...