Tilapia sighted at Forest Lake!

taib

Went for an arvo jog this arvo at forest lake to shed some unwanted Xmas & new years gift ..as i went around the lake on the western side, on "The Esplanade" bridge, i stopped to gasp some much needed air.

I looked over the small bridge there to check out the view and looked down in the water. To my absolute suprise there was a Massive Tilapia sitting still grinnin at me!!! I couldnt believe it!! I didnt think there was any big fish in there let alone a Tilapia!! I looked, and then looked again just to confirm it was definitely a tilapia and not some bass. Yep, i can confirm it was definitely a Tilapia. A few seconds later, his mate also appeared from under the weed.

Man, would love to catch em out but says no fishin there. Dam! The first one i saw would have been easy 35cm and the second one was approx the same length.

The water was only about half meter deep and crystal clear. This is a smaller area of the lake which is divided by a rock wall. Does anyone know where i am talking about? You could probably sneak a lure in from the main road at night ;)

yeah, im sure there would be a few out there who actually do fish in the lake but just dont mention a word of it. Personally i think its a bit too freaky there at night. And one of my friends last year was assaulted during an attempt of robbery at night when he was trying his luck with his new girl.

taib wrote:

yeah, im sure there would be a few out there who actually do fish in the lake but just dont mention a word of it. Personally i think its a bit too freaky there at night. And one of my friends last year was assaulted during an attempt of robbery at night when he was trying his luck with his new girl.

"robbery" or "rubbery" ?

It was stocked with natives the first year yellas, silvers, bass, tandanus,gar next year it was a victim of the barred grunter substitution racket. The combination of tilapia, barred grunter and our friends the bass thieves means it now has tilapia, stunted barred grunter, a few spangles and gar.

51MPL wrote:

heard they let u fish there if u say ur targeting tilapia and handline only. true story lol :)

Dont know how accurate that is as I have been personally thrown out of there with Ash by the cycle police. They were polite but firm about it. Being a massive recreation area the logic i believe is they dont want left over hooks etc lying around.

Angus

i think if you were to fish there for tilapia, it would probably be wise to fish discreetly or during a time of day where there is no human traffic.

Im sure there is alot of people who use the lake as an exercising ground who dont fish, or know nothing about fishing or fish species, would probably tell you off if they see you fishing there, regardless if you mention you're fishing for tilapia.

The tilapias i saw yesterday would have been perfect fighting fish and would have been alot of fun on light gear.

Who knows, a "Boogie Fisherman" might just go there some nite for a fish! ;)

I saw heaps of Tilapia in that pond above the rock wall about 18 months to 2 years ago, not long after I read a report in the local rag about a cold snap killing most of them off and promoting people catching and eating them out of there. I used to see people fishing there and when I was younger I would go down and catch yabbies with my mate, before the no fishing signs. Saw a big Tandanus cruising the shallows a couple of weeks back but not much else other than the Barred Grunter, freshie eels, Gar and heaps of turtles.

Archived