Brisbane River this Morning

blairv

Hey all,

After my post ealier in the week I went for a cast net last night and came away with about 40 good size Prawns and 4 nice fat poddy mullet - good to see a few more Prawns around at last.

So up at 3 this morning and at Pinkenba Ramp by 4. Disaster strikes early when Dino (the guy who's boat we are fishing from) says he has to be back by 7 am because some idiot is getting married at 10 am!!! :angry:

Anyways we ditch the crab pots and the flick rods (next time) and head out for a much shorter than planned session along the pipeline and the BP wharf.

We find a whole heap of activity on the sounder and start the drift down the oil terminal wharf. First cast and Cocho is on a big catty - at least two feet. He recasts and it is all on!!! Some great runs and head shakes but his old line is not up for it and he gets busted off at the reel - gutted :(

I catch my line twitching out of the corner of my eye as I was rigging a second and then bang I am on!

The first run is massive and I start worrying the fish is heading for the structure so I carefully tighten up a bit and pull back to the side. By this stage I was losing line rapidly and as it went under the boat I got a bit back a put some hurt on.

Two more great runs and I swear there was nearly smoke coming off the reel. I was fishing with a Shimano 4000 size Stradic, 20 lb Braid and a wire trace so was really just taking it easy but it was a bit of a panic too.

Ten minutes passes and after another decent run, the fish is getting tired at last so I make up some ground. At this stage I am tihinking, hoping and praying that it is either a Jew or a Threadie and finally I get that magic glimpse of gold and the massive head of a Threadie emerges from the deep! :cheer:

If half of Pinkenba and surround suburbs is not woken up by my yahooing and yelling then I would be suprised but I have been after one of these babies for such a long time and finally I had one. :) And on a Prawn too !

After getting the big girl in the boat I was in awe at the size and the power of the fight - they are certainly what everyone says - a great fish to catch.

Now being my first decent thready (the other one was a mere tiddler at 55cms) I decided it was coming home with me - yes I know there will be those who will say I should have released her etc...but any I catch from now on will be straight back in the water.

The rest of a trip is a bit of a blur - I didn't really care too much after that and did most of the skippering for the other guys.

Since I did not have a brag mat as I usually have nothing to brag about (may change now) I had to get home and measure the monster with the good old tape measure (apologies to the wife for the fish all over it).

End result: 132 cms - I have achieved a very long awaited milestone in my fishing history.

Just hope it tastes good as well :)

What I used: Shimano Stradic 4000 Reel, my no name 15 lb rod that I caught whilst fishing in Tinnie creek (now forever known as "lucky"), 20 lb Braid, 40lb Wire trace,

No.4 Octopus Circle Hook and a nice big juicy prawn.

IMG_0273.JPGDSC06732.JPG

That's my rod........... that means that's my fish...... what time should i be over for dinner....? ;-)

Nice one mate, 132 is a stonker!

I thought conditions were going to be slightly dodgy this morning so i went off manly, but am bummed now i didn't go out at the chute ! :dry:

Smiderman wrote:

hey blairv sensational threadie!!! what did it weigh? & what time did you land her?

Unofficially I would put the weight at over 10 Kgs. I caught this about 5 or so - just before a full dawn.

I'm still buzzin' - and lookin forward to dinner

Well done great fish. If you ever get another one that wont swim away please save the frame and guts for Brad 0401055589 as he is doing research on them. He will come and pick it up . You can even double them over and place in garbage bag and chuck in freezer.I keep his number stored in my mobile.

Once again great fish.

Cheers

Ray

rayke1938 wrote:

Well done great fish. If you ever get another one that wont swim away please save the frame and guts for Brad 0401055589 as he is doing research on them. He will come and pick it up . You can even double them over and place in garbage bag and chuck in freezer.I keep his number stored in my mobile.

Once again great fish.

Cheers

Ray

Hey Ray - I have the frame in the freezer but gutted the fish out there - is that still useful for Brad?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived