Your thoughts for my new boat.

pantherman

Hey guys, I am looking at buying a new boat probably around boatshow time.

Most of the fishing would be 2 of us, every now and then 3.

I intend to mainly fish Pumistone Passage, but would like to go out the front for Winter whiting, towards scarborough.

The 3 boats I have narrowed down to are-

1. Blue Fin Mangrove Jack 4.2m, with a 40hp motor.(Evinrude Etec, or honda). $17000-$18000

2. Sea Jay 4.2m Territory Tinnie. A 30hp Yamaha DETOL 2 stroke. Elec start. $ 14000- $14500

3. Stessl 4.25 Edgetracker Tournament. 40hp Suzuki 2 stroke. $12000

I have watched you guys with past threads with questions like this, and your experience would be a bonus.

The above is definately the 3 boats I like, but your input on motors would be appreciated.

Was really hoping to spend around the $15000.

Thanks guys.

I have a Blue Fin centre console 4.3m with a 40hp mariner. I reckon its a good litle unit. During the MBC Tomca and I shot accross to Stradie for the night and It took about 30 minutes, fuel consumption is excellent out of a 25ltr tank I get two trips, it only used just over a full tank for the MBC and we did a fair bit of motoring. Its a very stable boat and tracks well. If I had the choice between the E-tec and Honda, it would be the honda simply because I have herd mixed reviews about the etec and nothing but praise for the honda's.

Don't know if this will help you but just my 2 cents worth :laugh:

fishingnut wrote:

If it were me and my money id take number 3 but thats jmho good luck either way, maybe ask for a test drive and get the best deal you can and will soon find out who whats to sell you the boat and back up customer servise

+1 All good boats of very similar quality and it is hard to separate outboards these days.

Going for the cheaper one would allow you to spend a bit more on better electronics and electric trim and tilt which is very handy on days when you are loaded to the hilt or when the weather turns a bit lumpy. Would also be worth looking into 4 stroke engines as well. Although they can be a little more expensive come service time, the quietness and low emissions make for a nicer day out.

The bluefin the wettest of all three ? You have got to be kidding ,the only blokes i know that say that either dont know how to drive a boat to the conditions or are someone who has never been in one . And if you wish to prove me wrong your more than welcome ,bring along the other 2 boats and we will drive them in the same conditions . In 6 yrs and 700 hrs the only time i have got wet in the bay or offshore is with the wind blowing accross the bow and in those conditions you will get wet in any open tinnie .Matt

have had alot of time in both the mangrove jack and the edge tracker but not the sea jay 4.2 only the 4.5.

mangrove jack a good little tinie, i would stay clear of the edge tracker if you want to go anywhere other than creeks and lakes. even river mouths will hurt your backside. we nicknamed ours jumpin cod as a joke cause it was ruff,lol.

sea jay 4.5 good but fair bit bigger than 4.2.

my pick would beblue fin but alot more dollars.although it is good gettin something new i would go boat point and buy one 2 years old and barely used for 10000 or so! hope this helps

#1 if you are looking around the 4.2-4.3m mark i'd settle for a 40HP (sometimes i wish i had more when fully loaded up).

#2 i think your quote for the mangrove jack seems a bit high. have you tried coorparoo marine? they have one with a 30HP for $13000

#3 every bluefin i've been in has been dry, they have good quality welds and a nice finish. i was so impressed i bought one myself with a 40hp merc

#4 most importantly you've set yourself a budget which is great. personally i'd go new for warranty purposes, however you can often get a good deal buying 2nd hand. think about what's easily upgradable and what isn't. i'd go for the best possible motor and package straight up, everything else gps/sounder/bimini/etc can be added in the future.

#5 my bluefin is far from a wet boat, i agree with bluefin59. people who don't own one seem to know a lot about their water handling characteristics. any cross winds will definitely throw water over the bow, at the end of the day you are on the water and you're bound to get a little wet regardless.

Eug,

I did go to Coorparoo Marine today. They had one there with a side console, lights , everything fitted with a 40hp merc for $16990.

Do the Mangrove Jack come in tiller steer? If so, this would be good with an electric start, with trim and tilt. I might have to go back and see if they have one. Would probably be more fishing room as well. Thanks again guys, you are helping me heaps.

ahhh you didn't mention the side console, that sounds about right. you can get them built without the side console. the one on their website certainly doesn't have a side console.

theo is great he'll look after you. also make sure you ask for an anchor light which is legal (1m above nav lights) as this has been a topic with many boaties of late.

As i stated some people that own them say they are fine.

I have spent many hours in a blue fin boat, that a mate of mine owned. (He no longer does, he didnt like having a bath everytime he went fishing.)

I also test drove a new 1 before i purchased the Stessco Catcher. I liked the free board on the catcher better.

As i said people who dont own them are usually first to comment or arm chair internet experts ? Lack of boating skill is usually the problem , I also can vouch for theo he will do as good a deal as anyone . A lot of features on the fins are actually extras on other boats so dont forget to compare apples with apples ,the finish is great and they do stand the test of time,i have the 4.5 predator but the mangrove jack is a great little boat but you would want to pick your days heading out into the bay ...mattt Hey shortie have you done a search on stesco problems on google have a look you might be surprised ... :

bluefin59 wrote:

As i said people who dont own them are usually first to comment or arm chair internet experts ? Lack of boating skill is usually the problem , I also can vouch for theo he will do as good a deal as anyone . A lot of features on the fins are actually extras on other boats so dont forget to compare apples with apples ,the finish is great and they do stand the test of time,i have the 4.5 predator but the mangrove jack is a great little boat but you would want to pick your days heading out into the bay ...mattt Hey shortie have you done a search on stesco problems on google have a look you might be surprised ... :

Who cares. I gave my opinion as asked. You seemed to of taken my comment to heart as you own 1. There are always good and bad reviews for everything.

The best thing is to work out what you want in the boat and your primary use would be.For relablity on motors I dont think you can go passed the suzuki run the legs of the yamaha and better on fuel then most and the edgetracker a not a bad craft

Just my OPINION

i agree the blue fins are a rough boat and wet boat to ride in. i have been in a mates bluefin many a time . i had a 4meter sea jay not as rough but a little dryer .until i got some flares weilded down the sides to deflect the spray down, ;)

I must admit, the 4.2 territory sea jay seems a nice boat. Especially if I want to go out the front on a good day to chase some spotties. A lot higher on the sides, and looks sturdy. Also not painted, so not quite as much maintanance. The yamy would work well. Can hardly wait, to many choices.

hi i got bluefin 5-1 centrre contsole 75 etec mate to be honest they can be a bit wet the same as any open tinne.had no dramas with the etec dont listen to the no servive crap for three years ud have to be retarded not to service your motor every yr.And to anyone who said that they are rough ?? what ally boat isnt?? compared to a glass boat anyway

Everyone is going to find pros and cons in any boat. It all comes down to getting the right boat for your needs, how many boxes it ticks and ultimately your budget. Try to check legit reviews also ... a quick google search will get you on to some boating websites which will let you search for the make and model and hopefully a review or 3 of your short list or at least the boat builders. Good luck with your decision.

I have a Stacer 4.2 meter Seahorse and 30hp Yamaha CV tiller steer outboard, shes a good tinny, ive had her out in the bay rolling around fishing for sharks in 30 knots but I didnt stay dry...lol

I guess thats why most people modify there tinnys with rails up front and canvas to stop all the spray getting in, and also the center consoles in these tinnys these days have the perspex higher than the drivers head to keep him protected from the salt water spray.

I dont think any stock tinny would be able to keep the elements from spraying water all over the occupants, all it takes is a bit of chop and a decent wave to hit the side while your driving a tiller arm and your already soaked.

I reckon as far as getting wet goes, most stock tinnies of the sizes you guys are talking about are equal in the wet and dry stakes.

My opinion comes from being out in quite a few diffrent boats including my own, but its just my opinion....cheers Beejay :)

My mate's got the territory and its a great little boat. Comes with leccy mount and you can no bow cover (meaning access right to front of boat) Lovely little casting deck with ample storage. I've been pretty stoked to be in it and if I had to get a new boat it would probably be a territory (or a top of the line skeeter :P )

Can't really comment on the other boats as don't have any experience in them.

Thanks again for everyones two cents worth. Probably at this stage I am leaning towards the Sea Jay 4.2m, with the 30hp yammy. It is electric start with trim and tilt, and tiller steer. The whole kit from memory was around $14390. At this stge, I also like the 385cx colour hummingbird sounder.

I can fit lights and bait boards down the track, etc during first service maybe.

Also with the unpainted, you can get up against snags and rocks, without thinking you are chipping paint all the time.

Again huge thanks for everyone that helped me out. :cheer:

Archived